Sennheiser HD565 appreciation and service thread
Oct 13, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #136 of 154
I wiggled it out how "truelove" described here

I don´t get how you mean i can just press the lock back in, see: Pic

The headband is in the way and it won´t go into the rails.

I tried to force press it in from the side but just cut my skin and damaged the plastic lock and rails :frowning2:

No wonder they changed that design with their newer models, i might just cut the plasitic lock off at this point...
The same here, once out there was no way in. I had to break mine and glue it back in...

Oct 13, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #137 of 154
Thanks for confirming!

This is not a 565 though but the 265 wich i bought in very good condition for 60€ (minor scratches, had to replace all the paddings ofc) using supposedly the same drivers as the 565.

8IF09di.jpeg

Found the 565 in very good condition awhile ago for 50€ and was stoked, some say the 265 is the best closed Sennheiser and for that price i couldn´t resist.

I can´t really get over the 6xx veil (had the 650 for ~12 Years in need of pension) which someone sold for 80€ open box, unused.

The 565 and 265 sound clearer to me (almost identically), though falling short in other aspects.

When i changed the headband for the 565 i looked up the instructions for the 6xx series where the plastic lock comes easily off and accidentialy broke it off.

Afaik the only thing it´s for is to keep the headband from shifting which is secure enough without the lock.

Recently i found a seller for the OG Ifi CAN&DAC full accessories, opened box, unused, asking for 130€ inc. shipping.

So everything in the picture was less then 300€ inc. new paddings, cable, shipping etc. and hope i´m set for now.

Just the cheap aftermarket earpaddings won´t stay in place with the 265 so i might have to spend another 50€ for the original Sennheiser pads.
Sorry for the rant, had to brag somewhere with the crazy deals i made :gs1000smile:

So I´ll wait if Mr Chuck Dee who seems to be in possesion of a percent or so of all the 565 to give a further hint before just clipping the plastic off.

Thanks for the replies so far!

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #138 of 154
So, HD535 pair number 4 landed recently after agreeing to exchange one of my 'Curious Cranium' headphone cables for them with the seller.
They're in great shape and come with the original box, which is only the 2nd ever boxed pair for me for after the purchase of my original HD565's back in 1996!
They were already refurbed with new pads by the seller but the best bit by far is that he replaced the driver capsules with paper-baffle HD600 units!
I have 2 pairs of metal-baffle HD600 driver capsules, one pair in the proper/original HD600 chassis and the other in an HD565 chassis, so it will be really interesting to do an A-B comparison with my Frankenheiser HD565/600's (metal baffles).

I wonder what that pretty lady on the inside box cover is listening to. Maybe some Engelbert Humperdinck, or some Bolt Thrower. Maybe she isn't listening to anything while she models them and she's just thinking about making a nice Schweinshaxe and sauerkraut for dinner. lol

IMG_20231013_185724.jpg

01.png

11.png

mp-yams-8d40b669d2cb400f88092f23a2037d9c-image.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #139 of 154
So I´ll wait if Mr Chuck Dee who seems to be in possesion of a percent or so of all the 565 to give a further hint before just clipping the plastic off.

Thanks for the replies so far!
No, there's really absolutely no need to break or clip anything.
It's not the easiest component to remove or replace but with dilligence and patience they WILL come off and go back without any damage. I've done about 20 pairs of these so far!

I already posted a few hints and tips here but if I find some time I'll post a complete how-to for anyone else interested in saving these lovely old headphones.....

Oct 18, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #140 of 154
No, there's really absolutely no need to break or clip anything.
It's not the easiest component to remove or replace but with dilligence and patience they WILL come off and go back without any damage. I've done about 20 pairs of these so far!

I already posted a few hints and tips here but if I find some time I'll post a complete how-to for anyone else interested in saving these lovely old headphones.....

Yeah that´s why I´m waiting, you obviously figured something out I can´t :sweat_smile:

Getting it to pop loose wasn´t a issue though following the instructions on page 2.

Would be much appreciated if you could get into detail :thumbsup:

Since i have two other cans there is no need to rush should you feel gracious.

Else it doesn´t bother me all that much just clipping it off as I did with the 565, the plastic lock is as far as I can tell just there to keep the headband in place.

For the 565 I ordered an aftermarket 600 headband which is short (visible in the picture is posted before) but isn´t moving anyway.

Was just surprised to see many struggling to get the lock to come off but no one mentions having issues getting it back, glad Mellowship posted having the same problem.

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #142 of 154
Do you guys use genuine Sennheiser pads or are the other cheaper opinions out there as good?
Can't speak for the 565 specifically, but with all my other sennheisers, only the original will do. For my 540 II, I tried 5 or 6 sets of pads altogether, and nothing comes close to the original velour pad, which is a pain, because the pads for those are long discontinued, and I spent a few years learning how best to refurbish the old pads; what type of foam worked best, and how best to cut said foam, and every tiny little detail had an audible impact.
Your mileage could vary, but in the long run it may save money, time and effort to stick with the official pads

Jan 2, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #143 of 154
Can't speak for the 565 specifically, but with all my other sennheisers, only the original will do. For my 540 II, I tried 5 or 6 sets of pads altogether, and nothing comes close to the original velour pad, which is a pain, because the pads for those are long discontinued, and I spent a few years learning how best to refurbish the old pads; what type of foam worked best, and how best to cut said foam, and every tiny little detail had an audible impact.
Your mileage could vary, but in the long run it may save money, time and effort to stick with the official pads
Well for cost reasons I have ordered from AliExpress. i just cannot justify the price of the proper Sennheiser ones at the moment - which seem hard to find in UK anyway.

Jan 2, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #144 of 154
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #145 of 154
40 European Euros brought home HD565 set number 12 today and these are probably the best-condition set I've ever reeled in. Not a mark or a scratch or a blemish on them anywhere and relatively free of the usual dust and skin/hair/mucal detritus.
As a matter of course however they are always de-foamed, decontaminated, cleaned and re-fitted with new foams and pads ready to be boxed up and stashed away, but it's nice when I don't have to worry too much about contracting some strange disease from inhaling years-worth of secreted detritus. WIN.
I have still yet to determine a logical explanation for why I am doing this as well as to decide what on earth to do with not only these 12 pairs of HD565's but the multiple other HD-Made in Ireland series headphones I seem to have amassed over the years.
For now, along with the existence of religions and the level of popularity of Taylor Swift, it remains one of life's great mysteries!
:beyersmile:

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_200204.jpg
    IMG_20240302_200204.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240303_012213.jpg
    IMG_20240303_012213.jpg
    883.5 KB · Views: 0
Mar 3, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #147 of 154
12 pairs? Would you like to offload one to me? I have the 525, 535, 580, 58X, 600, 650, 6XX. I've been trying to find one good priced in the states but they're hard to come by!
I couldn't possibly. It would disrupt my little OCD-filled world and send me into a tailspin of confusion and despair! lol
One will turn up. Just keep an eye on the usual selling platforms like I do :wink:

Actually, there's maybe half a plan to do something in combination with a cable I am developing, especially tuned to get the absolute maximum out of this particular headphone. The HD565 is already an un-sung hero but the right cable can potentially make it a 'holy-grail' headphone imo. I've already made every sort of combination of cable with it; SPC, OFC, hybrid SPC/OFC, 4-core, 8-core, 16-core and I know I can find the last 1/10th of performance. It's in there somewhere and the right cable will expose it!
I can't say too much however as I'll be sent to the naughty corner and whipped mercilessly with a cat-o-nine-tails made from inferior headphone cables by the forum admin. lol
IMG_20240303_111319.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #148 of 154
12 pairs? Would you like to offload one to me? I have the 525, 535, 580, 58X, 600, 650, 6XX. I've been trying to find one good priced in the states but they're hard to come by!
Keep an eye out on Headfi Classifieds. That is where I got mine.

Mar 4, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #149 of 154
I couldn't possibly. It would disrupt my little OCD-filled world and send me into a tailspin of confusion and despair! lol
One will turn up. Just keep an eye on the usual selling platforms like I do :wink:

Actually, there's maybe half a plan to do something in combination with a cable I am developing, especially tuned to get the absolute maximum out of this particular headphone. The HD565 is already an un-sung hero but the right cable can potentially make it a 'holy-grail' headphone imo. I've already made every sort of combination of cable with it; SPC, OFC, hybrid SPC/OFC, 4-core, 8-core, 16-core and I know I can find the last 1/10th of performance. It's in there somewhere and the right cable will expose it!
I can't say too much however as I'll be sent to the naughty corner and whipped mercilessly with a cat-o-nine-tails made from inferior headphone cables by the forum admin. lol
IMG_20240303_111319.jpg
No wonder I can't find a pair of 565 then :smirk:

If you want the extra degree of performance, then there are two things I would suggest.

First off, there is some pretty reasonably priced pure silver here: https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/pure-silver-24awg.

Personal preference is a thing, of course, but this substantially reduced the sibilance in my HD800 compared to its stock spc cable, and is more transparent too.

Secondly, wherever possible, use the lowest number of plugs that you can, and the plugs that you do use, try to get something that is better than the bog standard brass, or gold-plated brass... if you really want to go all the way, a plug that has no magnetic parts can also help, but principly low-conductivity metals in your plugs and sockets is a far bigger bottleneck than one might realise. I might even argue that sticking with a pure copper cable, but switching to say, a copper plug, may be as big, or potentially bigger in scale than copper vs silver wire

Mar 4, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #150 of 154
Thanks for the suggestions, but being an MOT cable-maker myself I'm pretty well-attuned to how different combinations of wire and connectors can affect capacitance, inductance, impedance etc.
I agree with your suggestion that connectors using different metals in terms of capacitance (not conductivity as you state - you can't accurately measure that in connectors) can be beneficial as well as detrimental to the entire cables' sonic characteristics.
I don't agree however that 'pure-silver' as per your reference exists in cable form. I don't want to refute any other cable maker's claims but anyone selling silver wire really ought to state that it's either a silver/copper alloy or copper containing a percentage of silver and other metals. Pure silver is far too brittle to use in 'pure' form and in any case the electrical current of a cable travels over the surface of the conductor wire and not through it, so claiming the use of solid or 'pure' silver is pretty null and void anyway - whether it's 'pure' silver or SPC the current flow characteristics would be exactly the same for both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back