Sennheiser HD560S - a mix of two concepts
Oct 7, 2020 at 4:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

evonimos

Head-Fier
I'm pretty curious regarding this new pair from Sennheiser, having owned several from the HD500-series plus a classic HD600 pair.
It seems to combine interesting traits from both.
If it achieves to blend their strong points by tuning them in succesfully, then we might get a great set.

However, I haven't seen a whole lot of hands-on impressions out there yet since it's still a new product.
I will wait and actually try it out first, to decide whether it does fit my game but i have high hopes.
Anyobody having any experience with it, please chime in.

Oct 7, 2020 at 7:39 AM Post #2 of 12
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm pretty curious regarding this new pair from Sennheiser, having owned several from the HD500-series plus a classic HD600 pair.
It seems to combine interesting traits from both.
If it achieves to blend their strong points by tuning them in succesfully, then we might get a great set.

However, I haven't seen a whole lot of hands-on impressions out there yet since it's still a new product.
I will wait and actually try it out first, to decide whether it does fit my game but i have high hopes.
Anyobody having any experience with it, please chime in.

Actually I was about to start a new 'HD 560S Impressions thread' because the current one should be called the 'Tell us all how quickly you cancelled your order' thread.

Perhaps this should be the main thread for relating our SOUND impressions, reading about others etc.
You know, the usual interesting things we go to a thread to read about.

I'll repost my initial impressions and hope this thread takes off with the relevant kind of comments about the SOUND of the HD 560S, plus gear used with it.

Oct 7, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Oct 7, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #5 of 12
Some very early impressions (as I hear it...)

A neutral headphone that is pleasantly full sounding.
Nothing too hot in the highs, actually nicely controlled.
Mids are lovely (well it is a Sennheiser!)
Decent grunt in the lows, when called upon.

Well balanced, which really came across in the live music.

Tried to listen to a range of music that I find acceptable. Here's a list:

Lovestation - Teardrops

Madonna - Frozen

Coldplay - Yellow (live in Sao Paulo)

Shola Ama - You might need somebody

Grieg - Piano Concerto (live BBC Proms 2018)

Korn - Black is the soul

E lucevan le stelle from Puccini's Tosca

London Grammar - Californian Soil

Dac: Chord Qutest
Amp: Violectric V281 (obviously used in single ended mode)

Oct 7, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 12
Thank you for your impressions.

I am one of those folks that have been hoping for a new pair that could take advantage of the HD500-series shell design.
In my opinion it is a really solid design. Both ergonomically and in terms of sound quality.

All my 500-series headphones share a very nice soundstage and tonality that makes it impossible to ignore.
In fact, I use my HD599 instead of my HD600 despite their status as a 'lesser' product.

Anyway, my hope is that the HD560S can improve over the HD599 and HD600 and offer a sound that you can listen for hours.

My headphone amplifier is also tube based and in theory will benefit from the higher impedance of the new driver.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 12
I'd like to ask, how repair-able is this HP?

I've always been a Beyer fan since they they last so friggin long and the parts are readily available.
Yet Senny has always been in on my horizon.

If you can easily fix a Senny, I'd give these 560S a try since I'd like less V and I am starting to get into vocals.

Oct 7, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #8 of 12
Can't answer but I think Sennheiser generally provide enough replaceable parts but don't quote me on that.

Perhaps someone else can answer that.

Should enjoy them with vocals (I do anyway...)

Oct 7, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 12
I'd like to ask, how repair-able is this HP?

I've always been a Beyer fan since they they last so friggin long and the parts are readily available.
Yet Senny has always been in on my horizon.

If you can easily fix a Senny, I'd give these 560S a try since I'd like less V and I am starting to get into vocals.

Sennheisers are generally quite repairable and offer good part support (including parts for discontinued headphones like Beyer) for their products. The HD 5xx line isn’t as repairable as the HD 6xx line though which are some of the most repairable headphones out there outshining Beyers in repairability even due to how modular they are. But I don’t see any real problems with repairing the headphones or getting parts.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #10 of 12
Actually I was about to start a new 'HD 560S Impressions thread' because the current one should be called the 'Tell us all how quickly you cancelled your order' thread.

Perhaps this should be the main thread for relating our SOUND impressions, reading about others etc.
You know, the usual interesting things we go to a thread to read about.

I'll repost my initial impressions and hope this thread takes off with the relevant kind of comments about the SOUND of the HD 560S, plus gear used with it.

It wasn't that bad. It was really just one guy wanting to cancel his orders but couldn't.
There's still some good info there

Oct 8, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 12
Fair point (although I think someone else said they were cancelling, which just comes across as impatient to me but there we go)

Just got really, really annoying! (While I do sympathise with delays and communication issues etc we all expect things to be pretty much instant these days)

Anyway some actual sound impressions are coming through now so that's the main thing.

If they deem it appropriate, it's probably up to the moderators to merge the two threads, isn't it?

Nov 4, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #12 of 12
I pre-ordered the 560S on Sennheiser.com when they first showed up. Paid extra for fast shipping. Got an email saying they'd ship a couple days EARLY. And then the release date passed and they hadn't shipped. Took an extra ~2 weeks, but they finally got here. My review:

It's a good set. Sound signature I'd describe as bright-neutral. Lean in the midrange. Linear bass with authoritative impact, no bloom. Treble is a bit forward and coarse -- IMO the weakest part of the sound. I like it better than the 58X, which I find too warm and verging on muddy. Versus HD 6XX, I do prefer the brighter tone of 560S but would still take the 6XX -- though 560S drives more easily from a portable source, fine off a phone IMO. And vs. the HD 600, it's an easy HD 600 pick for me. Not really a fair comparison at the price differential, but seems the 560S is drawing these sorts of comparisons so I made them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back