Sennheiser HD555 for only $91 ???
Dec 3, 2010 at 7:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

globydudems

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. I was looking around on Amazon and they have a Christmas sale going on. I found these Sennheiser's for 46% off and I was wondering if they were legit. I've heard of fake headphones before and I don't know if I should buy these. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-Professional-Headphones-Channeling/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=br_lf_m_1288710011_2_9_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1283232142&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1288710011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RGB5VWTYZQBSAMFQR0T

Please let me know if I should buy these. I listen to mostly rap and rock, and I use an iTouch and my HTC Evo as players, un-amped. If someone could link a review to them, that'd be nice. Thanks :D

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 13
They are decent, they had a deal on these a few weeks ago for $75. They should be legit, check who the seller is and see if they are a authorized seller and has a good reputation. If the promotion was added by Amazon then it should be good. Also if you want to go more in depth on what type of music you listen to I might be able to help you.

Quote:
Hey guys. I was looking around on Amazon and they have a Christmas sale going on. I found these Sennheiser's for 46% off and I was wondering if they were legit. I've heard of fake headphones before and I don't know if I should buy these. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-Professional-Headphones-Channeling/dp/B0001FTVDQ/ref=br_lf_m_1288710011_2_9_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&pf_rd_p=1283232142&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=1288710011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1RGB5VWTYZQBSAMFQR0T

Please let me know if I should buy these. I listen to mostly rap and rock, and I use an iTouch and my HTC Evo as players, un-amped. If someone could link a review to them, that'd be nice. Thanks :D

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 13
Well, I listen to mostly bass-heavy hiphop but not so much that it drowns out the lyrics. I like headphones that have good vocals, and nice clarity. I really could care less about treble. As long as it doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, I'm fine with it. As for rock, any good pair that can handle bands like red hot chili peppers or breaking benjamin will be perfect. 
I used to own a pair of Sony XB-500s and they were pretty good, but I ended up returning them. I'm hoping that these will be better

Quote:
They are decent, they had a deal on these a few weeks ago for $75. They should be legit, check who the seller is and see if they are a authorized seller and has a good reputation. If the promotion was added by Amazon then it should be good. Also if you want to go more in depth on what type of music you listen to I might be able to help you.

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #4 of 13
Well I am not thinking that Sennheisers would be for you unless you had proper amping (add another $100). Check out Audio Technica ATH M50's and Shure 840's. Which musical aspect are you most looking for? If it is hip hop the M50's will win, and if it is rock the Shure 840's will win. Another thing to consider is that 555's are open meaning that sound will be heard by others and just not you, are you using these for travel?

Overall choice: AT M50's, less heavy than 840's and perform good all around.

Quote:
Well, I listen to mostly bass-heavy hiphop but not so much that it drowns out the lyrics. I like headphones that have good vocals, and nice clarity. I really could care less about treble. As long as it doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, I'm fine with it. As for rock, any good pair that can handle bands like red hot chili peppers or breaking benjamin will be perfect. 
I used to own a pair of Sony XB-500s and they were pretty good, but I ended up returning them. I'm hoping that these will be better

Quote:

Dec 3, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 13
the 555s are open? in that case i definately wont be buying these cans. I would be using these mostly at school so thats a big no. How much are the m50s these days? I've heard great reviews about them

Quote:
Well I am not thinking that Sennheisers would be for you unless you had proper amping (add another $100). Check out Audio Technica ATH M50's and Shure 840's. Which musical aspect are you most looking for? If it is hip hop the M50's will win, and if it is rock the Shure 840's will win. Another thing to consider is that 555's are open meaning that sound will be heard by others and just not you, are you using these for travel?

Quote:

Quote:

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 13
m50s are usually in the $105+ region
yeah unfortunately for you the 555s are open..if you're still interested though..they're definitely legit as they are sold dirrectly by amazon.
The price on the m50s fluctuates so i would keep tabs on them every once in a while!

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #7 of 13
The 555s have always been around that price, so, its probably legit.

I wouldn't really recommend the 555s for rock and rap. For rap, it usually sounds pretty good, I guess. I have a bit of rock in my library and it just sounds really recessed and a bit "blobby," IMO.

Dec 3, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
The 555s have always been around that price, so, its probably legit.

I wouldn't really recommend the 555s for rock and rap. For rap, it usually sounds pretty good, I guess. I have a bit of rock in my library and it just sounds really recessed and a bit "blobby," IMO.

Yeah..there are also price drops I've seen here and there probably because the 558s are out now

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 13
Would you be taking them around school, if so you might want to consider something less bulky.

Quote:
the 555s are open? in that case i definately wont be buying these cans. I would be using these mostly at school so thats a big no. How much are the m50s these days? I've heard great reviews about them

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 13
theyd work pretty well in a school environment
my HD 558s do
the cable is rather annoying though because of the length and the barrel adapter

PS id only get it for 91 bucks if its brand new

Feb 11, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Since someone bumped this thread, i should say that amazon has a seller selling refurbished hd 555 for 54$ shipped standard or 56$ shipped expedited. The refurb units have factory warrantys still.

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Since someone bumped this thread, i should say that amazon has a seller selling refurbished hd 555 for 54$ shipped standard or 56$ shipped expedited. The refurb units have factory warrantys still.

Nice to know, but i have always wondered about their build quality...i'll make a bit of research on this. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 13
I bought my HD555s refurbished (with the warranty) from Dakmart on Buy.com for $66 shipped. They are an authorized seller of Sennheiser.The headphones sound great! =D

they still have the offer:

http://www.buy.com/listing/sellerlistings.asp?sku=90131764&buy=0

Good Luck,
Duheee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back