Sennheiser HD555 ebay steal - HELP NEEDED
Sep 28, 2007 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

luckypictures

500+ Head-Fier
I just picked them up for $19.40, shipped, like new. No wear, no tear, no scratches that I can see. The seller has a bunch of random electronic items, based in the US, all appear to be gingerly used.

The seller just had them labeled as Sennheiser. After a bit of photo comparison, I figured out what model they were and scooped them up. My first set of Sennheiser cans, to be paired with the C&O and the Zune! And my various other home setups.

Woohooo!

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Man what a steal! Good going!

I love that you can sometimes get some amazing deals on e-bay... but you have to be diligent & patient

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #4 of 15
I guess being awake at 3:30 in the morning is sometimes a good thing!

I learned a long time ago when I started my tiki collection that you can find some amazing deals from people who mislabel and misspell.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #5 of 15
Also, they're getting painted as soon as I get them. I can't stand champagne colored plastic. House of Kolor Pearl White.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:36 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The seller has a bunch of random electronic items, based in the US, all appear to be gingerly used...

...Stolen? LOL but seriously, that's what it sounds like, also with the seller just labeling the auction as Sennheiser and not knowing what model number, what kind of HD555 owner doesn't know the model number?. I just remembered the thread title, lol irony.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 15
Judging from their feedback, and other auctions, my guess is that it's stuff from their local thrift store. None of it is high end. Mostly crappy point and shoots from the late 80s, wallwarts for various things, and random pottery.
And with the amount of thrift shopping I do, I'd say its a safe bet that is where they get their merchandise.

Sep 28, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by kanamin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Stolen? LOL but seriously, that's what it sounds like, also with the seller just labeling the auction as Sennheiser and not knowing what model number, what kind of HD555 owner doesn't know the model number?. I just remembered the thread title, lol irony.

lol good call!

Sep 28, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol good call!

See above.

The same type of people that would give away an HF-81 for $10. That's how much I paid for my Eico. Working, with no damage. Go ahead and see how much they are on ebay.

Go to your local thrift/antique store. You might be surprised what you can find/save.

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckypictures /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to your local thrift/antique store. You might be surprised what you can find/save....

I actually did, was looking for a nice vintage receiver, didn't find any, and I went to like 4 of them. Oh well, maybe better luck next time.

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #12 of 15
Audio equipment is rather hard to find. Well, no, actually, I've come across a hell of a lot of it lately. A few systems from the 60's still in boxes, the amps I've shown in different posts, a lot of ***** headphones, more records than I care to think about....The list goes on. I'm going again on monday to make the rounds. There's about 8 or 9 thrift stores that I hit all in one day if I do the full rounds, and 2 antique stores.
The one guy that I'm dying to get back to is a shop owned by an old russian who owns a chihuahua. I never took notice of his electronics, always went there for housewares. I'm really curious if he has anything. Will update on this or another thread.
Oh, and thanks michaelaqua!

Oct 4, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 15
I just got them in the mail, and they're amazing. Except now I have no clue how to take them apart, so that i can prep them. I see the two little screws to remove the cup from the headband, but that's about as far as I can get without breaking it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back