Sennheiser HD414 Pad Appreciation Thread
Apr 20, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #16 of 40
I like them on my MS1 too. Prefer them to bowls and comflies.
smily_headphones1.gif

DSC02134640x480.jpg

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #18 of 40
I paid 9 USD total for mine and quartered them to use with my SR-60s. Can't complain. The mod helps a bit not it's not ground breaking. Good replacement pads.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blasyrkh
i think the mod is futile if you cut with the quarter...the hole should be wider (at least you have to see 2 rows of circles) or the pads should be reversed

I disagree. I can easily hear a difference with a smal-ish hole, compared to no hole at all. I have compared the two directly and the difference is most noticeable in busy music passages. IMHO instruments tend to bunch together and conjest themselves with no hole. Add the hole, and instrument separation and clarity increase a noticeable amount.

As far as spectral balance goes, I dont really notice much difference, maybe theres a hair more treble with the small-ish hole.

I dont like the feel of the mesh screen touching my ears so the smaller hole works best for me.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I disagree. I can easily hear a difference with a smal-ish hole, compared to no hole at all. I have compared the two directly and the difference is most noticeable in busy music passages. IMHO instruments tend to bunch together and conjest themselves with no hole. Add the hole, and instrument separation and clarity increase a noticeable amount.

As far as spectral balance goes, I dont really notice much difference, maybe theres a hair more treble with the hole.

I dont like the feel of the mesh screen touching my ears so the smaller hole works best for me.

I hear the conjestion and lack of air with the small hole too. sure there's an improvement between small hole and no hole...but not that much for me
just a matter of tastes

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 40
Who uses them reversed and who uses them normally? I have mine reversed and they feel kind of weird when on normally.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 40
i've got four pairs, one normal, one with small holes, hone with large holes, one reversed...i've got the comfies reversed too...

reversed are quite the same of the large hole, with sightly more sparkle in the highs

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside
Who uses them reversed and who uses them normally? I have mine reversed and they feel kind of weird when on normally.

On my MS-1's I use the pads reversed with holes cut out, about the same diameter as the original hole. I found my ears rub on the driver mesh when the pads are oriented the 'normal' way. I have 2 pairs - one set stock yellow, one set dyed black - depending if I want the sound 'bright' or 'dark'
icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #27 of 40
Ok, not necessarily for the sound improvement, but for $4 they've allow me to comofortably listen to my HF-1, compared to the original HF-1 pads (can never remember whether they are called bowls)

Let's face it, $4 is many times cheaper than the shipping you've paid for some of your Head-Fi purchases, and for once my wallet is grateful for Head-Fi'ers
580smile.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:49 AM Post #28 of 40
Bad news, wore them out today and the gf said they're a no go, looks like I'll either have to sell them or [size=xx-small]hide them [/size]
biggrin.gif

Woot, post 950 only what, 550 more to go till headphone supremus
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside

As of about ten minutes ago I was using 414s mormally with a large hole.

Now I am using them reversed thanks to Y'all for mentioning it, and for kramer for pointing out that the slight bit of discomfort I was noticing was indeed my ears touching the screen!(ouch!)

Thanx Guys!!

They certainly are more comfortable with the extra foam over the ears and they also seem to be a bit more stable while moving around with my particular ear size. YMMV.

I'll have to read more threads concerning other brands of cans, but I can't believe they have anywhere near the comfort and sonic adjustability that we have with our pad swapping and modifying Grado/Alessandro configuration!! Pretty neat in my estimation!!

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #30 of 40
Just oredred mine... from an Ebay seller.
I dont get it, there is only hole at one side, so if you wear them reversed, you got to make a hole at the other side right ?
So how do you know how big it needs to be ?
Any instructions Kramer ? you are the Modding Master around here
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back