Sennheiser HD360 Pro = PX360?
Sep 24, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #32 of 95
^ maybe you can also do an m50 and hd280pro comparison with them. Anyways, I might be able to listen to a pair in a week or so too.

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #33 of 95
Now with use, bass and treble extension are a little better.  Tiny dip around 7k-7.5k, it seems.
Now I think that the low bass below 30Hz is boosted, I'm not sure.

Sep 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM Post #34 of 95
I picked up a refurb pair for $35 from VM Innovations (Take a look at SD for a coupon code).  Working on burning them in now.  I have been pleased so far, and I can't argue with the sound for the cost.  Good clarity and definition across a broad mix of music types.  Minimal leakage when fitted right, but as mentioned, the ear cups are not the largest, so you may have to contort your ears to fit them under the pads.

Other than a pair of QC3s a couple of years ago, I would say this is my first listen into some better cans.

Sep 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #37 of 95
I'm hardly familiar with the competition at under $100, but HD360 certainly puts HD4x8/4x9 to shame to me.  It's definitely competitive with HD25, S500, T50p/DT1350, and M80 as a portable in terms of sound quality.  In terms of actual portability, it just lacks a shorter cable, but reterminating/recabling HD360 isn't a difficult job.

Oct 3, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #38 of 95
donunus auditioned my HD360, but my impressions on them are quite different from his. Mine are generally in line with what MadMax has written so far.

I think they're fantastic value for the price I got them for (around $80 at a Best Buy), and in terms of quality they're more in line with the $180 SRP. Their value is because it's quite difficult to find a headphone below $100 that's as balanced sounding as the HD360 is. The competition of the HD360 often has a serious flaw, like piercing treble on the HD25 (which I own), too much bass on the Momentum OE and Q40, way too much warmth on the TMA-1 (which I also have) and so on -- not to mention that the HD360 is foldable, and comes with a carrying pouch. They're my main portable now because they sound good with any non-bass heavy genre, and are easy to EQ. They don't accentuate any frequency too much, and are monitoring headphones that are surprisingly fun to listen to.

I honestly think these have one of the best value for money ratios among headphones being sold right now, along with the KSC35 and RE400. I don't know why they aren't more well-known.

A few nitpicks:

- When compared to more high end monitors, they ultimately end up lacking in detail and warmth that gives a sense of realism to tracks which feature vocals prominently. In this regard something like the M50 or a modded T50RP would be a better choice.

- The HD360pro has mid bass roll off, although it isn't too severe and serves to give the headphone a more mid-centric sound. It will be a problem for people who like listening to hiphop or electronic music though. Think of it as a open AKG headphone type bass.

- Although the soundstage is wide for a portable, it has a problem portraying realistic imaging, oftentimes feeling as if the L-R channel separation is too extreme. Kind of like the AD700's problem but not as wide to begin with.

- Long cable is looooooooong~

Oct 4, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #39 of 95
I agree about their imaging being less than perfect but I don't think you should be getting "extreme" channel separation unless something is wrong with the unit, or the cups doen't quite "synergize" with your ears' shape.
I've got K701, and I've heard K501 and K240S, and HD360's bass certainly sounds like something else entirely apart from them, even more so with the 22-30Hz hump.  Are you really sure it gets its mid-centric character from a midbass roll-off/shelve-off?  I'm pretty sure there's some other reason, but I can't quite tell.
I wouldn't expect high-end detail on an $80 headphone, lol.  I think that's a moot point.

Warmth?  Their tonal color is close to too warm for me, less would be nicer.  Not the kind of warmth of the whole spectrum being tipped up towards bass, but the kind of warmth that "obscures" (part of lacking transparency).  Well, I certainly can't expect SRH840/M50-level transparency for $80, but that would be awesome if it did.  Even HD380 is more transparent to the music, and that one also gets beat by stock/modified SRH840 or an M50 with the right mods.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #40 of 95
Maybe extreme channel separation was the wrong word to describe it. Do you know how with some IEMs, you have that left blob or sound, right blob and centre image as if they're not connected that well compared to say HD800 imaging? The stock K701 has a little bit of this as well. It's a bit difficult to describe. Regarding the bass, I was going by memory from the K701 I used to own. If you say it's different, then it probably is. I really feel like the bass is a bit rolled off on the HD360, probably due to the driver being limited in terms of bandwidth while keeping distortion down (this is a good thing for me). I wish their were measurements we could work from on these.

Oct 5, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #42 of 95
  Maybe extreme channel separation was the wrong word to describe it. Do you know how with some IEMs, you have that left blob or sound, right blob and centre image as if they're not connected that well compared to say HD800 imaging? The stock K701 has a little bit of this as well. It's a bit difficult to describe. Regarding the bass, I was going by memory from the K701 I used to own. If you say it's different, then it probably is. I really feel like the bass is a bit rolled off on the HD360, probably due to the driver being limited in terms of bandwidth while keeping distortion down (this is a good thing for me). I wish their were measurements we could work from on these.

Yes, that's exactly what I thought.  The soundstage being split into "blobs" usually only happens when something's wrong with the headphone, or you positioned it incorrectly on your ears or your anatomy just does not "cooperate" with the headphone's design.  It's far more common in very cheap headphones.

Oct 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #45 of 95
  Hi guys. which one is better, HD360 Pro or HD280 Pro? 

Okay, so I have been giving my new HD360 Pro's a good work out over the past 24 hours.  Here are my general observations compared to a very recent and extended listen to the HD280 Pros:

SOUND
- The 360 isn't as neutral for monitoring applications as the 280.  The 280 is overall more accurate, but this isn't necessarily a plus for the 280 unless you *need* that.
- Bass on the 360 is more prominent, not boomy by any means, but the 280 bass is much tighter.  
- Vocals sound more natural on the 360 and in general has a warmer sound signature.
- The 360 has more attack and provides a more engaging listening experience.
- The 360 is 32ohms, vs 64ohms for the 280.  Either can be driven by the i-Device of your choice, but the 360 is better suited for such applications.  

BUILD
- God how I HATE the long-ass-thin cable on the 360!  It's just begging to be tripped over our caught on something.  I can see issues with cord failure at some point.
- The 360 has a nice padded case included and folds up more compact than the 280.  Of course, it's already smaller to start with.  Much more portable.
- The 3.5mm plug on the 360 is much smaller (and flimsy) than the 280.  I can't imagine any smart phone case that wouldn't accept it.  The 280 plug is much stouter, but in turn won't fit in tight spots as well.  The 1/4in adapter screws into the 280 plug, whereas it just snaps onto the 360 end.
- The 360 is much lighter and more comfortable for extended listening.  My ears don't get quite as warm with the 360.
- The 360 looks nicer.  I'd have no problem being out in public with the 360, but might get some geek stares with the 280's on.

Overall I am very impressed with the 360, and for my needs it's a better fit than the 280.  I may be giving up a little on accuracy and overall resolution, but the 360 is a more enjoyable listen overall.  The increased portability is another big plus for me.

Now, if someone could just work out a mod to install a jack in place of the long-ass-thin cable, these cans would be just about perfect for casual on-the-go listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back