Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #527 of 543
I'm glad to see this thread still going ~7 years after I started it. The fact that so many of you are enjoying the HD250 is a testament to its sound quality and ruggedness.|

I've more or less stopped the endless rotation of headphones I once enjoyed years back, and just settled on a handful of practical and useful sets.

For those looking for a darker set, one with decent mid-range and very good sub-bass performance (very low distortion) Sennheiser HD569 is actually a bit of sleeper. It is overlooked in Headfi as well as r/headphones as it is seen as a somewhat cheap generic consumer can. Tuning is similar to Dt1770 but less tizzy in the treble. Was pretty surprised this lowly set has become one of my favourite Senn closed backs. The HD250, HD25, Amperior, 630VB are all great, was less of a fan of the HD280.

Sennheiser still doesn't have a replacement for the HD250.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #528 of 543
Hello,
i'm a HD250 linear admirer since i have bought one (Mk1, 300Ω) new in 1991 as my first serious headphones. Have not found any better
or even equal. Now i have discovered that one of my Mk2's, bought years ago, is defective. No considerable bass response comes out, so it
sounded very thin and bright. Sadly i don't have it tested after buying since it was NOS and i have always used my main Mk1 and Mk2 and some
other headphones. Is this a known and reparable problem? The cable isn't the reason, have tried others. Have found the same issue here but
no answer.
Thank you in advance.
Mathias

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #529 of 543
I'm glad to see this thread still going ~7 years after I started it. The fact that so many of you are enjoying the HD250 is a testament to its sound quality and ruggedness.|

I've more or less stopped the endless rotation of headphones I once enjoyed years back, and just settled on a handful of practical and useful sets.

For those looking for a darker set, one with decent mid-range and very good sub-bass performance (very low distortion) Sennheiser HD569 is actually a bit of sleeper. It is overlooked in Headfi as well as r/headphones as it is seen as a somewhat cheap generic consumer can. Tuning is similar to Dt1770 but less tizzy in the treble. Was pretty surprised this lowly set has become one of my favourite Senn closed backs. The HD250, HD25, Amperior, 630VB are all great, was less of a fan of the HD280.

Sennheiser still doesn't have a replacement for the HD250.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. Obviously, it help many people!

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:34 AM Post #530 of 543
Hello,
i'm a HD250 linear admirer since i have bought one (Mk1, 300Ω) new in 1991 as my first serious headphones. Have not found any better
or even equal. Now i have discovered that one of my Mk2's, bought years ago, is defective. No considerable bass response comes out, so it
sounded very thin and bright. Sadly i don't have it tested after buying since it was NOS and i have always used my main Mk1 and Mk2 and some
other headphones. Is this a known and reparable problem? The cable isn't the reason, have tried others. Have found the same issue here but
no answer.
Thank you in advance.
Mathias
Are they with the original earpads? I can say for sure that the MK1 that I have sounds exactly as you described on a specific pair of earpads. By the way, I have seen a few pairs of the HD 250 (MK1 and MK2) listed on eBay.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #531 of 543
Are they with the original earpads? I can say for sure that the MK1 that I have sounds exactly as you described on a specific pair of earpads. By the way, I have seen a few pairs of the HD 250 (MK1 and MK2) listed on eBay.
Thank you. Yes, it's original. The both other HD250's have new earpads and sounds fine as it should. Thank you for the hint. Here in Germany these headphones appears relatively often on ebay and ebay classifieds but with increased price (from 200-250 EUR up) in worn condition. Sadly there's often fraud. I would say, most used headphones there are defective in my experience. Therefore i was happy to found a NOS one. But just the same.

Feb 24, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #532 of 543
Thank you. Yes, it's original. The both other HD250's have new earpads and sounds fine as it should. Thank you for the hint. Here in Germany these headphones appears relatively often on ebay and ebay classifieds but with increased price (from 200-250 EUR up) in worn condition. Sadly there's often fraud. I would say, most used headphones there are defective in my experience. Therefore i was happy to found a NOS one. But just the same.
I see. I bought the MK2 pair from a German seller a year ago, they were in excellent condition but I paid a high price for them. Yes, it is risky somehow.
In anyway, I would encourage you to try another set of earpads and see whether it solves the problem. By the way, have you checked if the ring-shaped foam is inside?

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #533 of 543
Hello,
no answer.
Thank you in advance.
Mathias
If you're still getting equal sound out of both drivers, it doesn't sound like a defect. You probably just need to replace the internal foam.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good.670255/post-17120466

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #534 of 543
I see. I bought the MK2 pair from a German seller a year ago, they were in excellent condition but I paid a high price for them. Yes, it is risky somehow.
In anyway, I would encourage you to try another set of earpads and see whether it solves the problem. By the way, have you checked if the ring-shaped foam is inside?
So, regards the argument of trollchu too, i will try replace earpads and foam discs both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back