Sennheiser HD250 Linear Impressions Micro-Thread
Jun 8, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #256 of 543
I've had the same problem when I got my first HD250 pair, had absolute no bass at all.
After some research, one guy that knows a sennheiser's engineer, he said that HD400 foam is the closest to the part 13.
I purchased and used the HD400 foam as an inner foam, the opening towards the ear and the closed side towards the driver, hooked up ZMF universe pads and whoola, best bass I've ever heard and my most favorite headphone of all time.
Great call . Many thanks!!

I think these pads are as close as you will get to the original 'bowled' concave foam inserts. The material is identical.

1591617956538.png

They certainly restore the bass that went missing (down to HD600 level impact) with plain flat Sennheiser or beyer foam

Work well with HD430 pads unless you have large ears where the original pads are a better bet.

1591618204534.png

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #257 of 543
Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #258 of 543
Okay, tonight I have been listening to some Electronic/Deepchill, but I can’t quite get a good seal for subbass...

Originally I was thinking a sweat band would work, but I didn’t have one laying around. So, I found this instead. Lol 😂

827AD0C9-617E-4682-9F6B-C10CA69E5497.jpeg
510F351B-9F0E-49C0-B44E-980E033EB04C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #259 of 543
Great call . Many thanks!!

I think these pads are as close as you will get to the original 'bowled' concave foam inserts. The material is identical.

1591617956538.png

They certainly restore the bass that went missing (down to HD600 level impact) with plain flat Sennheiser or beyer foam

Work well with HD430 pads unless you have large ears where the original pads are a better bet.

1591618204534.png

Testing foams at the moment without mods. This one did not work for me. It sort of added a bassy radiophonic boombox aspect to my sound.

This foam here is what increased the transparency of my HD250. I have kept this one installed inside :
1594126117463.png

It comes from a german seller here is the link.

Jul 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #260 of 543
Another find for my 300ohm Linear 1's:

https://www.amazon.ca/Geekria-Bande...ne+headband+replacement&qid=1594155575&sr=8-6

It provided excellent results, but if you think about it, it may not that be surprising. The frame of the HD250, due to the low clamp, is distributed on top of the head (and not around the ear as with many high-clamp frames). Providing a fabric dampener, rather than a plastic one, can change the sound, and it did so for the better - the soundstage grew about 15-20%, probably the most noticeable. The upper treble also calmed down, becoming even more refined. In fact, I reduced me eq a bit, and it was still more enjoyable/refined than having the eq and no headband. Some of the treble air as a result of reducing the eq also came back.

One caveat is that the implementation of the headband causes the clamp to decrease even more, and therefore imaging is compromised. The magical transparency of placing the instruments in the background is lost, for a deeper and wider soundstage. HOWEVER, I noticed someone in this thread using a sports band to tighten the clamp. This may work in conjunction with the fabric headband to bring the imaging back. Though, this would indeed add even more bulk to the "setup." But for a desktop setup I honestly wouldn't mind, will give it a try one day when I have a headband handy. Or I may swap out the drivers on another frame and keep the fabric headband. Regardless, the treble refinement effect is enough to use as it is.

Edit. Almost forgot this part, but something I thought of was using foam just below the plastic headband, like the thin glossy kind found in packaging, and just using double sided table to attach two pieces on the lower side of the headband, simulating the "Dekoni nugget".

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #262 of 543
A pair of well used (abused?) pair of 600 ohms got here today. Not sure about pads but they seem different than seen here. Oval interior, round exterior? Missing foam. I'll have to get a set of HD400 foam if I can find some. Really crappy cable, cutting in and out on the left side. Swapped out the HD6xx cable. Electrical tape on the headband, turned out to be just a user installed stop for the adjusters (phew). Tried the only 2 pads I have hanging about that would fit. HM5 angled sheepskin - NOPE. (Will I ever find some 'phones these things sound good with - I don't think so,) K240 pads (pulled a pair off a set) fits but was kinda loose due to being stretched. Into the bag of parts I go, brandy new never used pair of K240 pads and foam, perfect fit - Sounds not bad.

Damn that bass will waggle your earlobes. The K240 pads might be boosting bass little, or maybe not - its strong though. Ran a 10Hz - 15KHz sweep. Lordy, I can hear? (feel?) something down to about 13Hz! Little dips at about 400Hz, 4500Hz, and again at 7000Hz. Kinda seemed to roll off after 10K (though that could be the measuring equipment = my ears). I Didn't bother above 15K, If it did anything I wouldn't hear it (above 13K really). Though below 10K what I heard seems to match FR curves so maybe the 240 pads and foam aren't too too far off. Clean, fast, good soundstage. I was a little worried looking at their condition, but I like. Now I wonder what a good complete pair sound like...

Sep 24, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #263 of 543
A pair of well used (abused?) pair of 600 ohms got here today. Not sure about pads but they seem different than seen here. Oval interior, round exterior? Missing foam. I'll have to get a set of HD400 foam if I can find some. Really crappy cable, cutting in and out on the left side. Swapped out the HD6xx cable. Electrical tape on the headband, turned out to be just a user installed stop for the adjusters (phew). Tried the only 2 pads I have hanging about that would fit. HM5 angled sheepskin - NOPE. (Will I ever find some 'phones these things sound good with - I don't think so,) K240 pads (pulled a pair off a set) fits but was kinda loose due to being stretched. Into the bag of parts I go, brandy new never used pair of K240 pads and foam, perfect fit - Sounds not bad.

Damn that bass will waggle your earlobes. The K240 pads might be boosting bass little, or maybe not - its strong though. Ran a 10Hz - 15KHz sweep. Lordy, I can hear? (feel?) something down to about 13Hz! Little dips at about 400Hz, 4500Hz, and again at 7000Hz. Kinda seemed to roll off after 10K (though that could be the measuring equipment = my ears). I Didn't bother above 15K, If it did anything I wouldn't hear it (above 13K really). Though below 10K what I heard seems to match FR curves so maybe the 240 pads and foam aren't too too far off. Clean, fast, good soundstage. I was a little worried looking at their condition, but I like. Now I wonder what a good complete pair sound like...

I recommend using wang pads + HD400 innerfoam if you don't own original pads and foam.

Oct 20, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #266 of 543
I read somewhere that toilet paper is supposed to reduce 8-9k regions. I applied 2 layers onto the earpad, and it was very dark afterward. Tried 1 layer, and it's almost perfect, maybe a tad too dark. Really recommend. It retains the texture. Soundstage widens, but depth decreases, but moreso wide than reduced deep (positive tradeoff). Used on 300ohm MK1. Overall it retains the character.

Oct 20, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #269 of 543
I don't have the HD250 for several years. In direct comparison, they lost with the HD540 600ohm. Bass was better on the HD250, but highs on the HD540. You can try with other pads on the HD250, but the toilet paper mod works the best for me :wink:

Oct 20, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #270 of 543
Wow, I heard elsewhere that 250>540, but overall it's mixed, with 540 getting a lot of attention. I absolutely love the 250 (hence why I ask for your setup/mods). Do you recommend other vintage HPs? There's also an early production HD580 for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back