Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Dec 27, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #121 of 380
  I had the same problem with the Momentum over ear headphones I just couldn't get a good seal.  I even bought the Momentum on ears to compare with the HD25's Alu and Amperiors but the Momentums couldn't compete with either in sound, construction or comfort. 

To your question I've never owned the original HD25's and the Amperiors were the first iteration followed by the HD25 Alu for these headphones.  But depending how you plan on using these and what your using to drive them I found the Amperiors to handle being plugged directly into my phone or iPod better than the HD25’s, where the HD25’s sounded better out of my desktop setup.  The HD598’s with the bigger soundstage do to the open back design would probably make the biggest improvement in sound quality though.

I suggested the Amperior with regards to the pricing. From what I see other people to be saying, the Amperior is more of a side-grade, while the HD25 Aluminum is the upgrade. I mention this as of course, this is dependent on what you hear. In my own opinion, I do find the HD25 Alu to be better than both but I was actually hesitant at first due to its higher price as compared to the other two. 

Referring to your original post, what did you mean by "calm, relaxed styles"? The HD598 aren't the heaviest in bass (neither is the K550, even if it's a close back) but I do recommend them over the K550. In fact, if you choose the K550 over the HD598, may I also suggest reading on the SoundMagic HP100 (as compared to the K550)?

Thank you very much for you replys guys..... :)

My sources are mostly portable players. Usually my nexus 7 or my 4th generation ipod touch. I dont have any amps (i dont like to be amp dependant, specially on the go....).

The momentums are really i very sad case because i really do love the looks and the sound. They are the best pair of headphones i ever owned for sure and i never had anything that matched their resolution. The problem is that already it home it is hard to get a good fit, but on the go its almost impossible..... to have a lifestyle headphone and not being able to use it on the street its not very smart.... thats why they are going unfortunatelly. If only sennheiser released bigger pads like v-moda, but unfortunatelly i dont see that coming anytime soon (and if they do, the original pads are already too expensive so imagine XL ones.... XD ).

By calm styles i meant artists, like james blake, metronomy, keane, coldplay, stuff like that..... the hd25's would be a better performer for the early artic monkeys, biffy clyro, and edm stuff i guess....

But wich one do you think is the better all rounder maricius? wich one is bassier and has more body (closer to the momentums), the hd598's or the k550's?
Would you guys consider any of these two headphones one step ahead of the over ear momentums? Matching or better resolution, sq, and refinement?

I briefly tried the hd598's a couple of weeks ago. i liked them but my impression was that they did not have such a strong body sound as the momentums, but to be honest its hard to test a a open headphone in a noisy store, and in christmas time its even worse. I plugged them to my ipod at the time so it also could be it....

Oracle, do you think the amperiors or the hd25 alu's are on par with the over ear momentums in terms of sound quality, resolution and refinement?

I think i am going for the hd598's as my first open headphones, my only doubt is, should i stick with my hd25's or should i swap them for a pair of amperior's since they are going to be my all rounder headphone after all (i could always keep the hd25's and the amperiors baut maybe thats a liiiiitlle too much..... XD )

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #122 of 380

Thank you very much for you replys guys..... :)

My sources are mostly portable players. Usually my nexus 7 or my 4th generation ipod touch. I dont have any amps (i dont like to be amp dependant, specially on the go....).

The momentums are really i very sad case because i really do love the looks and the sound. They are the best pair of headphones i ever owned for sure and i never had anything that matched their resolution. The problem is that already it home it is hard to get a good fit, but on the go its almost impossible..... to have a lifestyle headphone and not being able to use it on the street its not very smart.... thats why they are going unfortunatelly. If only sennheiser released bigger pads like v-moda, but unfortunatelly i dont see that coming anytime soon (and if they do, the original pads are already too expensive so imagine XL ones.... XD ).

By calm styles i meant artists, like james blake, metronomy, keane, coldplay, stuff like that..... the hd25's would be a better performer for the early artic monkeys, biffy clyro, and edm stuff i guess....

But wich one do you think is the better all rounder maricius? wich one is bassier and has more body (closer to the momentums), the hd598's or the k550's?
Would you guys consider any of these two headphones one step ahead of the over ear momentums? Matching or better resolution, sq, and refinement?

I briefly tried the hd598's a couple of weeks ago. i liked them but my impression was that they did not have such a strong body sound as the momentums, but to be honest its hard to test a a open headphone in a noisy store, and in christmas time its even worse. I plugged them to my ipod at the time so it also could be it....

Oracle, do you think the amperiors or the hd25 alu's are on par with the over ear momentums in terms of sound quality, resolution and refinement?

I think i am going for the hd598's as my first open headphones, my only doubt is, should i stick with my hd25's or should i swap them for a pair of amperior's since they are going to be my all rounder headphone after all (i could always keep the hd25's and the amperiors baut maybe thats a liiiiitlle too much..... XD )

Pedro, your in a similar situation that I was in a few weeks ago where I liked the Momentum over ear headphones but they didn't fit my ears and had been trying to find something similar but with a better fit.  Might I suggest the AKG K545, they fit my ears where the Momentums didn't and had better resolution, bass and overall sound quality for a lower price.

Dec 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #123 of 380
  Pedro, your in a similar situation that I was in a few weeks ago where I liked the Momentum over ear headphones but they didn't fit my ears and had been trying to find something similar but with a better fit.  Might I suggest the AKG K545, they fit my ears where the Momentums didn't and had better resolution, bass and overall sound quality for a lower price.

better resolution than the momentums? Hum... sounds promising? And the sound signature is similar? How about the bass? isnt it more polite like on the k550's.....

But you dont think the amperiors or the alu's are on paar with the momentums sound quality (forget over ear vs on ear, sq only.... :)  )

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #124 of 380
  better resolution than the momentums? Hum... sounds promising? And the sound signature is similar? How about the bass? isnt it more polite like on the k550's.....

But you dont think the amperiors or the alu's are on paar with the momentums sound quality (forget over ear vs on ear, sq only.... :)  )

I think the Momentums and the K545's where closer in comparison than the Amperiors just because of their larger soundstage and added bass they shared.  I couldn't A/B test with the Momentums and K545's directly because I owned them about a month apart (I also have the issue of availability in my area) so my impressions may very with others, but I was very impressed with K545's.  But if your trying to decide between the Amperiors and the HD25 Alu's I would give a slight edge to the newer HD25's.

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #125 of 380
  I think the Momentums and the K545's where closer in comparison than the Amperiors just because of their larger soundstage and added bass they shared.  I couldn't A/B test with the Momentums and K545's directly because I owned them about a month apart (I also have the issue of availability in my area) so my impressions may very with others, but I was very impressed with K545's.  But if your trying to decide between the Amperiors and the HD25 Alu's I would give a slight edge to the newer HD25's.

But the sound signature on the k545s is similar to the momentums?
I need some bass and some body to the sound like on the momentums because i listen to a bit of everything so i need a goog all rounder to perform well on quieter stuff but also to sound cool on rock and edm.

On the hd's... its basically a choice between the original hd25's and the amperiors... the amperios now cost 140 while the alu's go beyond the 200...

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #126 of 380
Imo the original HD25 still kick the asses of the Amperior and Alu. Both Amp and Alu are too heavy if you're really used to the HD25. + the sound signatature of HD25 is better defined as the Amperior. Amperior is more boomy while the HD25 has definition. This is very noticeable in techno and house music.

You can modifiy things from your HD25 to make it better: better cable, velours earpads, remove foam and acoustic foam at the back of the drivers in the cups.........

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #127 of 380
Yeah i think i am going to keep the hd25s as my main portable and i will save the money for something open.... i am thinking of the of the akg k550s or the hd598's but since i am coming from the momentums and the hd25's i am affraid that they will be to light sounding for me, specially when i am a guy that listen to some rock and edm....

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #128 of 380
I have no experience with the AKG's except with the horrible and torturing 81 and 518. But honestly the classic HD25 is very well for rock. Rock and electronic music it does very well. So no idea which open headphones rock as good =)

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #129 of 380
  Imo the original HD25 still kick the asses of the Amperior and Alu. Both Amp and Alu are too heavy if you're really used to the HD25. + the sound signatature of HD25 is better defined as the Amperior. Amperior is more boomy while the HD25 has definition. This is very noticeable in techno and house music.

You can modifiy things from your HD25 to make it better: better cable, velours earpads, remove foam and acoustic foam at the back of the drivers in the cups.........

NOP ... You can definitely say the HD-25 ALU is THE improved version of the current HD-25-1 II  (don't confuse the ALU with the Amperior !!!)

See the review !!! ENJOY !!!

http://www.headfonia.com/the-best-evolution-yet-hd-25-aluminium/

Jan 3, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #130 of 380
Well, I have the HD25 and 2 Amperiors. For a while I had my own HD25 Alu made from my HD25 and 1 Amperior. My biggest problem with the Aluminium cups is that it adds weight and at the same time doesn't do alot soundwise. Iit's the acoustic foam in at the back of the drivers that really make the difference.

Imo the extra you gain with the Aluminium cups is totally not worth it compared to the extra weight you have hanging on your head.

Jan 4, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #131 of 380
The headphone is called "Aluminium" isn't it? Why call it "Aluminum" when that isn't the name?
Leaving out the "I" for no-good reason, one might as well call Sennheiser "Sennheser" or Anniversary Edition "Annversary".
Not to mention Pottasum and Magnesum or Uranum or Sodum.
In any case, the material was invented by Sir Humphry Davy, so the name he settled for should be the one in use. No point naming something if people call it what they like. Henceforth, let posters here refer to "Aluminium" for this headphone please! 

Jan 4, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #132 of 380
  The headphone is called "Aluminium" isn't it? Why call it "Aluminum" when that isn't the name?
Leaving out the "I" for no-good reason, one might as well call Sennheiser "Sennheser" or Anniversary Edition "Annversary".
Not to mention Pottasum and Magnesum or Uranum or Sodum.
In any case, the material was invented by Sir Humphry Davy, so the name he settled for should be the one in use. No point naming something if people call it what they like. Henceforth, let posters here refer to "Aluminium" for this headphone please! 

Compromise. Let's just call it "the Alu" 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #134 of 380
I have Amperior i'm a basshead but love hifi reproduction and i'm slightly dissapointed by the Amperior compared to my Marshall Monitor a fantastic headphone too much underated it's a shame for bass lover and it's very detailled as Amperior

My portable source are my Nexus 4 (i know it's bad and bug with flac who cut everytime when it play not mp3)

My pc source is a asus xonar st wich i don't like a lot it sound not very different to my realtek chpiset i'm serious.

My headphones are the Audio technica Ad700 i bought just for gaming but perform better for music and voip very impressive clarity and soundstage its sound like natural speacker at hear which is the best proove of audio quality i think.

My other headphones are the Marshall Monitor wich is a big surprise very detailled deep and low bass like a natural subwoofer, i have too the Philips L1 which is the perfect mix of amperior clarity and Marshall monitor bass but the Marshall is more bass signature and i prefer the marshall but my philips is not enough burn.

My favorite portable headphone between amperior L1 and Monitor is the monitor.

I think I'll sell the Amperior because it lacks bass but if it remains most of my headphones but i'm not sure.

I wonder if the aluminum HD25 and DT1350 would be better in level of clarity, detail, bass han my other headphones.

Jan 8, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #135 of 380
I always look for the portable headphone that has the best sound quality in this day.

Dt 1350, HD25 Alu, ath es9, ath es 10 or 11 ?

Wich is best for the buck ?
I have not enough money for buy all and i live in little city without shop for testing all.

What's the gap between the amperior to Hd25 alu ?

I read the old hd25ii plastic stay the best in audio quality, bass and speed.

My amperior lacks bass wheras they have low impedance for portable source.

I think the old and new hd25 has better driver because they have 120 spl and amperior just 102 spl the amperior must be a under hd 25 for general public.

I want real Hd25 not a cheap version with lower specs like Amperior :angry_face:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back