Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Apr 16, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #226 of 380
  Got the 25 Alu's today. I think they have no sibilance like Amperior did in the upper vocals/lower treble. Bass is slightly less than amperior but excellent punchy bass :) definitely a keeper!

But the cable is a bit too long for convenient portable use. Anyone know of decent cables that are shorter for a reasonable price? (third party cable welcome)

Just joined the HD-25s Aluminium club! I'm also coming from the Amperior and I think you sum up the subtle differences pretty well. The sound signatures are of course similar, but the slightly hot treble and occasional harshness of the Amperior is smoothed out; they seem a touch clearer, fuller and more rounded overall, with the incredible tightness and accuracy I've come to expect from Senn's HD25 range. I had my old pair of HD-25-1 II for many years and I can see the HD-25 Alu being my go-to portable for a long time to come.

Dunno whether you're still looking for an aftermarket cable but I would also recommend the Oyaide HPC-HD25 - quality cable. First thing I did after getting these headphones was get one in. The stock cable is definitely too long and the right-angle jack of the Oyaide is a bonus too.

Jun 13, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #227 of 380
Just bought myself HD25-II Aluminium 25th years Edition to complement my headphone-collection. Being spoiled with lot's of High-End phones, I didn't expect this impressive sound of a headphone in this pricerange. I did recable from start with Oyaide HPC-HD25, so I don't know what stock configuration would have brought! This amp also needs amping, haven't tried my desktops yet... but Ifi IDSD Nano sounds also comfortable!

Curious of burning in will bring improvement, people looking for good closed portable can - I can recommend these beauties!!!

Jun 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #228 of 380
  I did recable from start with Oyaide HPC-HD25

Yep, same. Not a believer in aftermarket cables changing the sound signature of a headphone, for obvious reasons (nor in burn-in for that matter), but I find Oyaide's HPC-HD25 cable is a perfect length for portability and the right-angle jack is a big plus if you're using it with DAPs on the move.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #232 of 380
I also have the alu hd 25 but with the stock cable.  While I don't mind it, have people noticed a difference in sound quality between this and the oyaide?

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #233 of 380
  I also have the alu hd 25 but with the stock cable.  While I don't mind it, have people noticed a difference in sound quality between this and the oyaide?

No difference in sound quality - I bought the cable for ergonomic reasons: shorter, with a better jack. There probably are those who expect to hear sound quality changes attributable to cables and no doubt do, but I'm not one of them. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:54 AM Post #234 of 380

Switching cables takes way too long for my auditory memory to be meaningful for me.

So I am torn between:

Way more detail in the treble region while increasing the bass punch
VS
It's shorter, it's red and looks sexy. But that's about it.

It's a very high quality cable, that's for sure.

Cheers,
K

Jul 3, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #235 of 380
Actually, while you're all here
tongue_smile.gif
 ...does anyone else have any issue with the left cup moving too easily up and down the slider? The right side is OK, but it barely takes a touch on the left side for it to slide down. Bit annoying, especially as there doesn't appear to be anything to do to tighten it up.

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:04 PM Post #236 of 380
Hi guys.... 

Had a pair of hd25's and amperiors but sold both.... i am now thinking of returning to the regular hd25 because i loved the sound of it. The amperior not so much... although they share the same sound basis the amperior felt slower, muddier, less detailed and clear to my ears than the hd25's.... sure the hd25 his grainier and the sound has overall more body on the amperior, but i found the overall sound of the regular hd25 more agressive, more engaging, more lively from top to bottom and to my ears that made it the most engaging and most adictive of the 2 for all genres IMO (i mostly listen to pop, rock, indie and edm).

This hd25 ALU..... is it more similar overall to the amperior or the regular hd25? As a hd25 lover whats the reason for me to go and get the ALU Edition specially when the maintanance of the hd25's is certain for years (there will always be parts available for them) while the hd25 alu's parts are time after more lacking and much harder to get in the future? For example a complete cup for hd25 aly isnt almost the same price a a whole brand new pair of regular hd25's?

Other things i did not like in the amperiors is that the fit was nowhere near as good as the hd25 with the pleather pads wich fit amazingly and never more around. The velour pads on the amperior do not shape so easily on the ears and this combined with the heavier weight of the cups makes them feel like they were never on the sweet spot, specially when moving around.... IMO the cups on the amperior are too heavy for the headband.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:51 AM Post #237 of 380
  Hi guys.... 

Had a pair of hd25's and amperiors but sold both.... i am now thinking of returning to the regular hd25 because i loved the sound of it. The amperior not so much... although they share the same sound basis the amperior felt slower, muddier, less detailed and clear to my ears than the hd25's.... sure the hd25 his grainier and the sound has overall more body on the amperior, but i found the overall sound of the regular hd25 more agressive, more engaging, more lively from top to bottom and to my ears that made it the most engaging and most adictive of the 2 for all genres IMO (i mostly listen to pop, rock, indie and edm).

This hd25 ALU..... is it more similar overall to the amperior or the regular hd25? As a hd25 lover whats the reason for me to go and get the ALU Edition specially when the maintanance of the hd25's is certain for years (there will always be parts available for them) while the hd25 alu's parts are time after more lacking and much harder to get in the future? For example a complete cup for hd25 aly isnt almost the same price a a whole brand new pair of regular hd25's?

Other things i did not like in the amperiors is that the fit was nowhere near as good as the hd25 with the pleather pads wich fit amazingly and never more around. The velour pads on the amperior do not shape so easily on the ears and this combined with the heavier weight of the cups makes them feel like they were never on the sweet spot, specially when moving around.... IMO the cups on the amperior are too heavy for the headband.

Hey Pedro. I've owned all three in my time - and I pretty much agree with your impressions of the Amperior in relation to the HD25. I personally think the HD25 Alu sound is closer in sound to the original HD25 than it is to the Amp, although perhaps with a slightly smoother, clearer and more refined presentation overall. The main reason I went for the Alu, rather than going back to the HD25, was for the aluminium cups which, might I felt might be less resonant than the plastic ones. You raise some good points about the cost of maintenance though, and I have to admit that I never see any other Alus when I'm out and about but do still see lots of the original HD25s, so I reckon they're probably still the more popular choice.

The heaviness of the cups that you mention being an issue with the Amperior is my one gripe with HD25 Alu as well; as I said recently, the cups (the left one especially) seem to slide down too easily. They do have leatherette pads though, which I prefer to the velour pads of the Amp.

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:27 AM Post #238 of 380
  Actually, while you're all here
tongue_smile.gif
 ...does anyone else have any issue with the left cup moving too easily up and down the slider? The right side is OK, but it barely takes a touch on the left side for it to slide down. Bit annoying, especially as there doesn't appear to be anything to do to tighten it up.

Man, I thought that was something of the past. Around 2007/2008 the same was the case with a HD25 I owned. On the ALU that I have right now the cups are super firm on the sliders and I seriously thought that was a deliberate  fix. Especially as it's a anniversary edition.

Bummed out party..

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #239 of 380

Man, I thought that was something of the past. Around 2007/2008 the same was the case with a HD25 I owned. On the ALU that I have right now the cups are super firm on the sliders and I seriously thought that was a deliberate  fix. Especially as it's a anniversary edition.

Bummed out party..

Hmm, maybe I should take it back to the place I bought it from and see what they say - it's still under warranty. I don't think there's any adjustment that can be done, short of some botch job taping them up and I don't wanna do that!

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #240 of 380
Hey Pedro. I've owned all three in my time - and I pretty much agree with your impressions of the Amperior in relation to the HD25. I personally think the HD25 Alu sound is closer in sound to the original HD25 than it is to the Amp, although perhaps with a slightly smoother, clearer and more refined presentation overall. The main reason I went for the Alu, rather than going back to the HD25, was for the aluminium cups which, might I felt might be less resonant than the plastic ones. You raise some good points about the cost of maintenance though, and I have to admit that I never see any other Alus when I'm out and about but do still see lots of the original HD25s, so I reckon they're probably still the more popular choice.

The heaviness of the cups that you mention being an issue with the Amperior is my one gripe with HD25 Alu as well; as I said recently, the cups (the left one especially) seem to slide down too easily. They do have leatherette pads though, which I prefer to the velour pads of the Amp.

Thats the thing..... i dont know of o want anything smoother than the regular hd25.... seme tiny bit of extra bass os welcomr but even with the rock or eletronic eq on my ipod touch or on mt ipad i can achieve that....

Its not really a question of price.... a pair of new alus costs 177 euros on thomann and a pair of regular hd25s goes around 140 or 150.

Can you specify a bit more what changes in sound and what makes the alus a better choice than the regular hd25?

By the way have any of you guys found a over ear that sounds like a hd25? Thinking of buying a dt770 or ath m50x with the 150 euros i earned on my amperiors sale. Always wanted to try those, specially the beyers.... anyone can compare a dt770 to a hd25?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back