Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review
Feb 15, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #167 of 380
I find it more comfortable as well and more refined. 
Soundstage is still very small as expected. Even my IEM's(KEF M200, IE800) are better in this regard.
But build is excellent, cable is strong, good isolation and exciting sound. These are great portables.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #169 of 380
I've been listening nonstop to the Alu. I think I am falling in love. I really don't want to hype it but it might the best portable I've ever heard.
Definintely better sounding to my ears than V-Moda M100, B&W P7, DT1350, Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1 just to name a few portables.

I want to compare it with the Amperior again since I didn't listen to it for a longtime. I remember that the Amperior had a peak in the treble which made some tracks sibilaint. more harsh while the HD25 Alu sounds more harmonic/warm

The BASS is really perfectly tuned to my taste. Punchy with good sub-bass.

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #170 of 380
I've been listening nonstop to the Alu. I think I am falling in love. I really don't want to hype it but it might the best portable I've ever heard.
Definintely better sounding to my ears than V-Moda M100, B&W P7, DT1350, Sennheiser Momentum, Sony MDR-1 just to name a few portables.

I want to compare it with the Amperior again since I didn't listen to it for a longtime. I remember that the Amperior had a peak in the treble which made some tracks sibilaint. more harsh while the HD25 Alu sounds more harmonic/warm

The BASS is really perfectly tuned to my taste. Punchy with good sub-bass.

Please make a more in depth comparison with the hd25 pleeeease!!!!!! :-D

Hows the confort improved over the hd25?

All the other cans u mentioned have warm sound sigs. You seem not to like warm... I have the hd25s and the over ear momentums. Love both. Didn t like the 1r very much though, they were as beatifull as the momentums and confortable, but the rattle and the creaking anoyed me and to my ears they were too colored. The vocals sounded too muffled on them. To my ear the momentums easily beat the 1r in terms of sq.

Feb 15, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #171 of 380
I dont have the HD25. Only listened to it for about 5min last time. But the Alu pads are much more comfy. It is still an onear though, so you will still get hot ears =)

The momentum has really slow and bloated bass. HD25Alu bass is much more precise and hits fast, that's how i like my bass.
I think if you really love the tuning of the HD25, the Alu is worth the upgrade. It's still the same sound signature, only with more details and more refined tuning. 

Feb 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #172 of 380
I dont have the HD25. Only listened to it for about 5min last time. But the Alu pads are much more comfy. It is still an onear though, so you will still get hot ears =)

The momentum has really slow and bloated bass. HD25Alu bass is much more precise and hits fast, that's how i like my bass.
I think if you really love the tuning of the HD25, the Alu is worth the upgrade. It's still the same sound signature, only with more details and more refined tuning. 

Stupid me... :-D

I mixed everything. I thought you had purchased a pair of amperior. I was asking for a hd25 vs amperior comparison. :)

The alus are not on my budget range....but still you can make hd25 vs amperior vs alu comparison though... :p

Feb 16, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #174 of 380
Hi guys,

I've got a pair of original HD25s and a pair of Amperiors, I'm thinking of transplanting drivers to make my own HD25Alu. Anybody interested in impressions?

Yes please!!!

But also compare the hd25s and the amperior in terms of build confort and sound quality. I have the hd25 and i am trying to figure out if its worth selling my hd25 to get the amperiors.

Feb 16, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #175 of 380
Yes please!!!

But also compare the hd25s and the amperior in terms of build confort and sound quality. I have the hd25 and i am trying to figure out if its worth selling my hd25 to get the amperiors.

If you want HD25 vs Amperior, have a look at my in-depth comparison review: http://www.head-fi.org/t/704614/review-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-vs-sennheiser-amperior-comparison-review/0_100

Well, here goes.

I swapped the drivers from the HD25s into the Amperiors, everything but the drivers was stock amperior. The first thing I noticed was the bass was nicely tight and controlled, and the mids really came out, but there was a nasty hint of sibilance and I cannot abide that. So I changed it up and had the stock HD25 cable with amperior everything else (drivers included), and that appears to have enlarged but bloated the bass, and the sibilance is only there on the most low-quality of tracks. I'm listening to that now. I'll update when I swap the HD25 drivers in w/ HD25 cable too.

UPDATE: So I changed it up to make a proper HD25Alu with HD25 cable and drivers, but Aluminium cups and joints, with the smooth velour pads of the Amperior, and I like it best like this. Bass is tight, treble is not sibilant as i put two foam discs between the driver and my ears, and I removed the white damping disc from behind the drivers, it seems to have opened the soundstage up a little but I'm not sure how much of that is placebo.

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #176 of 380
Been listening about 15hours already and still not grown tired.
I officially love this headphone!
I enjoyed the amp alot and regretted it for selling it to try out ue6000, mdr1 and ue6000. But I do enjoy the alu even more than the amp.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #178 of 380
UPDATE: So I changed it up to make a proper HD25Alu with HD25 cable and drivers, but Aluminium cups and joints, with the smooth velour pads of the Amperior, and I like it best like this. Bass is tight, treble is not sibilant as i put two foam discs between the driver and my ears, and I removed the white damping disc from behind the drivers, it seems to have opened the soundstage up a little but I'm not sure how much of that is placebo.

In conclusion, Alu's without the damping disc are my faves.

Rock on.
beyersmile.png

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #179 of 380
I wonder how many alus have been produced. It is supposed to be limited after all.

Uelover, I see you got yourself a t51p.. from beyers description it is supposed to be fun sounding. Dont tell me it beats the alu? :p

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #180 of 380
I wonder how many alus have been produced. It is supposed to be limited after all.

Uelover, I see you got yourself a t51p.. from beyers description it is supposed to be fun sounding. Dont tell me it beats the alu? :p

I have not received the t51p yet so I'm not sure how they compare. I don't expect the alu to be beaten that easily though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back