Sennheiser HD25-1 ii, why do people like these? It's nasty !
Dec 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #46 of 78
The TMA-1 is fantastic for EDM. It'd be my choice. The 25-1 II is a better all rounder though. So if you're like...50% EDM 50% Other stuff the 25 is the way to go.

Quote:
that brings me to the age old question, 
to get tma-1 or hd25??

i like listening to club music, mostly (like david guetta type)

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #47 of 78

Quote:
how would u describe the sound witth hs25 and dt1350??

The differences become more apparent with some genres rather than others but, generally speaking, the DT1350's are much more refined sounding in every way.  The 1350's have a transparency to them that the HD25's cannot touch.  There is a surprising sense of space for such a small closed headphone, too.  Detail is there on the 1350's and not so much on the HD25's.  1350's also are cleaner and more taut in the LF yet still go deeper.   The HD25's sound congested and less detailed in comparison (a bit muddled maybe) and do not stand up at all in an A/B with the 1350's for my taste.  However, the HD25's do boogie and, despite their comparative shortcomings, this is why I still like and use them.  They are also pretty close to half the price of the DT1350's.

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #48 of 78

Quote:
The differences become more apparent with some genres rather than others but, generally speaking, the DT1350's are much more refined sounding in every way.  The 1350's have a transparency to them that the HD25's cannot touch.  There is a surprising sense of space for such a small closed headphone, too.  Detail is there on the 1350's and not so much on the HD25's.  1350's also are cleaner and more taut in the LF yet still go deeper.   The HD25's sound congested and less detailed in comparison (a bit muddled maybe) and do not stand up at all in an A/B with the 1350's for my taste.  However, the HD25's do boogie and, despite their comparative shortcomings, this is why I still like and use them.  They are also pretty close to half the price of the DT1350's.

I second that.
DT 1350 are much better with most of the classical, and basically most things sound good via them. Their bass is lean, but precise and indeed bottomless, and their ability to retrieve detail exceeds that of HD 25-1 II.
On the other hand, some compositions (Peter, Paul and Mary springs to mind) are not at all enjoyable on DT 1350.
HD 25-1 II may simplify things, but most recordings sound correct and enjoyable, plus there is no worry that you can break them, - an if you had broken them, you know that you can just fix them (which would not necessarily be as straightforward in the case of DT 1350).

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #49 of 78
Apparently the drivers in the HD25s are decades old. It's no surprise they're less resolving than modern headphones. If Sennheiser could release an update to the HD25s with a new housing (hopefully one that uses metal) and new drivers, they'd have a winner on their hands. I hope they develop a new mechanism that splits the headband without throwing the left earcup out of alignment.

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #50 of 78
The HD 25-13 is another thing to consider. 600 Ohm big brother to the 25-1 II. It basically does everything a bit better than the little one. 

I really liked mine when I had them.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #53 of 78
They look nice, apparently they sound nice, and apparently they have a very sturdy built. Honestly, they seem like a nice set of cans. I'm trying to picture these in regard to the HM5s.

Dec 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #54 of 78
I bought these as my first set of headphones roughly a week ago.

My left ear has endured a bit of pain on part of the top of it for some reason. I don't wear glasses, but these headphones have indeed proven to me that my ears are off-balance which made me looool. Right ear is comfortable. I'm okay with it, not like mics I've used in the past haven't been bad before a long period of break in for comfort. (PS2 SOCOM Mic, anyone?)

First time I put these on I literally sat there giggling with joy. Sounds all typical and loser and made up like half the stories on here can be, but I actually smiled listening to it. Probably was just because it was my first set of headphones over 20 bucks.

Bought these over the DT770s because I love rock and wanted something portable enough to wear to class without an amp. I hate carrying my phone and wallet as it is, and I haven't actually listened to music on headphones in a while (I use some "decent" speakers normally and just walk to class without music). I actually prefer these out of my Clip+ than my computer because I can't quite figure out how to work an equalizer to do what I can with the Clip+ for certain songs. (For instance, had a friend tell me the HD-25s sounded meh and not bassy enough and all I had to do was turn the bass section up on the Rockboxed Clip+. Songs can slap on these things, I really didn't think they had it in them but the bass goes incredibly high to my surprise. Not something I wanted, but nice to know it's there.)

I can't hear a thing when I have these on. /shrug At least with music anyways. I'm less than a foot away from my Das mechanical keyboard with blues and I can't hear a single click. (Makes bottoming out rather difficult to avoid tbh)

Plastic feels cheap but I know they're durable. I love the looks, they're almost robotic in a sense. I love that I can split the band and shake my head as hard as I can and they will not fall off (I play drums a bit and jam a little more than normal so these might prove to be useful despite never really using headphones when drumming haha). Love that they have user replaceable parts without any real effort to replace them, and I love that I have been able to tell my friends all week when we're watching ESPN that the headphones the announcers are wearing are the ones I bought. For 175 dollars overnight shipped I cannot complain. 10/10 for me, but ignorance of other headphones has left me in bliss.

Dec 30, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #55 of 78
They may look brittle, but they aren't.  I've had mine for at least 5 years and they have been with me on nearly every major trip during that span without issue.  Just stuff them in my backpack and away I go.  Can't really describe how they compare to other cans in the sound department other than the fact that I prefer them to my Grado SR-60's (not the greatest comparison I know) and I never really felt the need to explore other options.  That has changed though as I recently got curious as to what else is out there and have a pair of DT 990 Pros on order.  My HD25-1 ii's will still be my portable set though.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #56 of 78
They already have a winner on their hands and I hate to tell you but essentially all dynamic drivers are decades old...the fundamentals of dynamic headphone drivers haven't changed in decades. Just because something isn't shiny metal doesn't mean it needs to be updated. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Quote:
Apparently the drivers in the HD25s are decades old. It's no surprise they're less resolving than modern headphones. If Sennheiser could release an update to the HD25s with a new housing (hopefully one that uses metal) and new drivers, they'd have a winner on their hands. I hope they develop a new mechanism that splits the headband without throwing the left earcup out of alignment.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #57 of 78
Not sure if trolling or...

Anyhow the only cons on the HD25-II are small soundstage, insufficient treble response and low driver resolution by today's standards. You must keep in mind that these headphones are 20 years old and are well recognized within the ENG/DJ/film making industry. Sure, they are showing their age but for 125$ I paid for them I couldn't ask for much more. In any case when commuting it is hard to get the right circumstances to fully appreciate good resolution drivers because of the background noise.

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #58 of 78
I kinda like the look and feel of it actually.. it feels kinda rugged in my opinion for plastic construction though a little rattle-y... Soundwise.. I would say I agree that it is actually not that great, feels congested and bloated for my liking, but then again its a 20 years old technology so the driver is kind of outrefined by the newer headphones out there right now.. but I dont think recommending 7506 over the hd25 is quite in the right place though, they are both very different in sound imo, one being bassy and the other being monitoring like sound.

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #59 of 78

Quote:
Not sure if trolling or...

Anyhow the only cons on the HD25-II are small soundstage, insufficient treble response and low driver resolution by today's standards. You must keep in mind that these headphones are 20 years old and are well recognized within the ENG/DJ/film making industry. Sure, they are showing their age but for 125$ I paid for them I couldn't ask for much more. In any case when commuting it is hard to get the right circumstances to fully appreciate good resolution drivers because of the background noise.

Sorry what? These have plenty of treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back