Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding
Mar 8, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorgonmusic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine are now completely broken in now and i have to say teat once modded these cans are top shelf.. They are on clearance now at most sellers so you can get them for as low as $45!! But I will only recommend if your are brave enough to mod..!

I agree...For stock I don't really think they are worth $80+....however, if you mod them like how we did, the HD238 really do shine

Mar 11, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #17 of 55
snc00171large.jpg

Finally recabled it today. Mogami 2534 and XLO 3.5mm plug. Right off the ball, it sounds muddy and harsh but after a few hours or so, the sound sharpens and the clarity improved. Overall, it sounds great and even better than stock cable.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #18 of 55
um wow you put a real audiophile grade cable and plug on there,... great work... i think the higher impedance cable caused your sound change.. i will be keeping the stock cable on these mainly cause i dont feel like doing all that stuff you did..

So the only issue we are left with is the volume which is not as load as many can with lower sound quality so i guess its the trade off...

I was listening to the Sony MDR-XB700 but they dont have as high quality sound as these but they are louder and have great impact and attack which is what these lack... but the Sony MDR-XB700s cushions are tooo big to walk around in public with..lol

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #20 of 55
Quote:

Oh yeah maybe paint those cables black so they look more factory!?

Nah, I like how the new cable looks.

Quote:

So the only issue we are left with is the volume which is not as load as many can with lower sound quality so i guess its the trade off...

Are you using an amp? I'm using the HD238 along with the Headsix and it sounds incredible.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #21 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Are you using an amp? I'm using the HD238 along with the Headsix and it sounds incredible.

No.. no amp im not that hardcore... i just use them with my iphone when i dont want to play my stereo loud as hell.. or im going for a walk If someone invented a small inline amp that used a single battery (does that exist??) i would be interested but i dont want to fasten a big unit to my music player..

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

i dont want to fasten a big unit to my music player..

You should use an amplifier, the amplifier on the iPhone is just terrible.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #23 of 55
I am a noob. But luckily I found this thread! I bought the 238's and I was suprized that they sounded worse than they did in the store. That's what brought me here. Now I know that after 100 hours they should sound better. I also broke the plug already after only 2 days of use! My netbook slipped and bent it . now it only gets the full sound when halfway inserted and sound comes out of the speakers at the same time. I want to replace the plug and considered doing the recabling. How hard is it? Any DIY's? BTW my home speakers are ProAc so I am accustomed to decent sound but did not expect great sound from headphones until I found this group.
thanks
d

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #24 of 55
Sorry for taking so long to reply...Anyways

Quote:

Originally Posted by redrum3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I know that after 100 hours they should sound better.

Typically, headphones will require a burn in to get to their optimal sound.

Quote:

I also broke the plug already after only 2 days of use! My netbook slipped and bent it . now it only gets the full sound when halfway inserted and sound comes out of the speakers at the same time.

Sorry to hear that...

Quote:

I want to replace the plug and considered doing the recabling. How hard is it? Any DIY's? BTW my home speakers are ProAc so I am accustomed to decent sound but did not expect great sound from headphones until I found this group.
thanks
d

You can certainly replace just the plug but it would be a big hassle trying to figure out which leads are which. For an overall improvement, I suggest you do a complete re-cable.

Well, I'm not sure if you saw the picture of my re-cabling but its there to show you that it's possible. As far as the difficulty really depends on your effort, experience, and what type of recabling job you want.

As for myself, since the 238 is only my portable headphone, I only wanted something simple:

Wire: Mogami 2534
Connector: XLO HT 3.5mm

...and not to mention that it sounds great, an obvious improvement over the cheap stock cable. Of course, you can always invest in better sounding wire and connector but like I said this is my portable headphone I rather invest into my home set.

If you need help with your re-cable, I'll be more than happy to guide you through step by step.

In addition, if you are looking into improving the sound of the 238, I suggest you follow up with the modifications shown in this thread.

Nov 12, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #27 of 55

Quote:
Wow, great job on the HD238 mod. Mine has the outer black foams taken off, where clarity and soundstage improved slightly even without the Astroid mod (taking off the black inner f9oam in the earpads). So, having tin foil improves the sound significantly... I have yet to try that.

Congrats on your mod.
biggrin.gif

I've also done the removal of the black center foam. Bass is more introduced and sound level is enhanced. Thanks. I'll update if i'll try the aluminum foil mod. Nice thread!

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #28 of 55

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by m11a1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No.. no amp im not that hardcore... i just use them with my iphone when i dont want to play my stereo loud as hell.. or im going for a walk If someone invented a small inline amp that used a single battery (does that exist??) i would be interested but i dont want to fasten a big unit to my music player..

You can use the FiiO E1. It works as an LOD and an amp at the same time. ☺ 

Dec 6, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #29 of 55
When you did this mod were you worried that the foil would make contact with the exposed wires? Is that something to watch out for?

Dec 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #30 of 55
I've bought the Sennheiser HD238 and didn't like how they sound . I wanted to "Mod"  them and this is where your  "Sennheiser HD238: Brief Review and Modding" came into help.
I'm not afraid to do the modding the only problem is that I don't know what are  the materials you mentioned or where to find them : Soft Felt (Blue), Medium Felt(Yellow) and Thick Felt (Black).

Can you help me in any way ??

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back