Sennheiser HD228 or HD238?
Sep 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by applaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't auditioned the HD 238, but I am a satisfied HD 228 owner. They offer decent isolation, they don't leak sound to people around you if you're worried about that... and with the astroid mod, they sound pretty darn good. I think they are somewhat underrated because, first of all, people try them out without realizing how fussy they are about positioning, so they get a flat, muddled, really dark sound out of them and walk away disappointed... and second, most people don't know about the astroid mod, which makes a surprisingly big difference in the detail and treble response.

If you need isolation, the HD 228 is probably a good choice.

If you don't care so much about isolation... well, unfortunately I can't compare the two, since I've only heard one of them... but I suspect that either one would do fine... that said, if they're the same price, you should probably just go for the HD 238. The HD 228 is supposed to retail cheaper than the HD 238, so it's pretty ridiculous that they're selling at around the same price here in Canada. I got my HD 228 for $79.99 (very good price!) on sale at Future Shop, and I'm glad I did, because after that sale, they went and jacked up the regular price from $99.99 to $109.99!
angry_face.gif

I do think the HD 228 and 238 are almost the same in every way, except for the construction and open/closed design. By the way, what's the optimal positioning of the phones in the ear?

Sep 23, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do think the HD 228 and 238 are almost the same in every way, except for the construction and open/closed design. By the way, what's the optimal positioning of the phones in the ear?

you really have to align the opening with the hole of you ear! after that put to the front and back till you think they sound their best. I don't know if this is the same without the steroid mod, because I like them the best without the oval foam pieces.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaf0187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the users of the HD 228 think that they have become better post burn in?

Yes they do. really quickly actually. But maybe they become even better after a longer time burn in (burned mine +- 50 hours now)

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #20 of 24
I found it really hard to go back to the HD228 here at work after a few weeks with the Grados at home - everything seemed really muddy and boomy with the Senns - but we are talking a large difference in price. Just not sure how some of you go from one extreme to another in headphone terms and dont find the transition too tough to bear.

Jul 11, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #22 of 24
HD 238 is open, unlike 228. Assuming they sound the same is hardly justified. HD 238 have a soundstage that is close to the HD 5** line. Unfortunately, the frequency response is not quite there.

Jul 12, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #23 of 24
I found it really hard to go back to the HD228 here at work after a few weeks with the Grados at home - everything seemed really muddy and boomy with the Senns - but we are talking a large difference in price. Just not sure how some of you go from one extreme to another in headphone terms and dont find the transition too tough to bear.

For those inclined to modding, bass response can be tuned on the 228/238, as introduced by a clever man on the UK Rockgrotto forum, which gives a more even and open sound.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #24 of 24
I have experimented with my HD 238 a lot during last few days and using some yellow foam and cotton, I was able to improve the SQ on HD 238 beyond what I ever thought possible. They have some phenomenal drivers, deliberately crippled by other design choices at Sennheiser.

Now the headphone's SQ defeats any headphone I have ever owned (includes HD 215, HD 380, HD 668B, HD 518). I would say it almost matches my brother's PC 360 (~HD 595).

I'm going to buy another pair and see if I can reproduce the mod. If so, I will definitely share a how-to. It includes some tedious foam cutting (entirely replaces the original padding) but the result is totally worth the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back