Sennheiser HD215 - crackling sound.
Sep 24, 2011 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Phinx

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I'm new here, this is my first thread and i'm parying i'm posting in the right forum.

I've got an issues with my loyal Sennheiser HD215. I had them just under two years and they might be slowly dying on me. When i play music, i can hear a faint, but clearly audible crackling. Its more obvious when the vocal are high pitch and/or guitars are used. I tried this with bassy music and the crackling was either absent or nearly gone. Whenever i give Metallica (among other recordings) a go, i can hear the crackling especially with solos. Also, no crackling or any other alien sound when, just plugged in or when i bend or move the cable. Does this mean i managed to mess the headphones up already?

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 4

I'd say the headphones are fine and it's just the cables.
It just means your cable is losing integrity somewhere along the line(possibly at multile points). Where exactly are you bending the cable to fix the sound?
Close to the jack or any place where it is frequently bent  are usually where cables start degrading first.

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 4

Quote:
Also, no crackling or any other alien sound when, just plugged in or when i bend or move the cable.

As i said, cable does nothing to the sound. It doesn't make it worse regardless of what i do with it. Which presumably means that the cable has nothing with my issue.

Sep 24, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #4 of 4
Ahh sorry I misread the sentence.
Maybe they got dropped, or the driver suffered electrical damage.
What do you have them plugged into?
Some amps have borderline levels of protection from electrical problems.
Maybe the amp was set to output too much power for the drivers to handle.
Or it might have high on-off transients or some other source of DC at the headphone out that gradually damaged the driver over time.
It may just be a manufacturing defect. 
It's kind of hard to damage headphones short of physical shock.

Not to sound condescending, but does the problem persist/change when you connect the headphones to a different source?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back