Sennheiser HD212s
Apr 9, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lnvisible

100+ Head-Fier
I'm an IEM guy, and have been for about 3 years, blah blah blah. Getting into full size cans. I was thinking of trying to find some used HD212s around for pretty cheap that I could buy, I've read great reviews on them overall. And since I'm a huge bass fanatic myself,  they should be good for me. Any thoughts of this, or any other pair of cans in the sub $50 range?

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2 of 2
It's a shame I live in Finland and the shipping costs abroad here is nuts as I would have had a nearly unused pair for sale. HD212 pro were kind of the "start" for me into headphones, no wonder I found most headphones to be rather light on bass after being used to HD 212 Pro though.... quantity wise I'd put it roughly at the same levels of Sony XB700, kind of hard to compare because the HD 212 pro got more midbass but less subbass but both are fairly largely boosted, in fact HD 212 pro extends in depth quite impressively and I'd say it got a bit more deep bass presence than mid/upper bass. 

I personally greatly prefer XB500 over HD 212 Pro which both are around same cost but XB500 needs more EQ tampering that HD 212 pro does as it's not very nicely balanced but HD 212 pro again has somewhat recessed mids so isn't quite optimal either but highs are more emphasized on it so it sounds a bit clearer due to that but in sound quality itself the XB500 wins which is noticed after EQ is applied to both, XB500 is more detailed especially in the mids but unEQ'd it would be difficult to tell due to the overemphasized mid/upper bass. You may also want to look into Cortex CHP 2500 or Prodipe Pro 800 (which both are based on the same design and probably using the same driver, the difference seems to be in how much they are vented/dampened inside) I think it was around that mark as those appears to be very bassy too. I was once recommended to check these out, I'm somewhat worried about deep bass but appearently the Cortex delivers a bit more deep bass than Prodipe but the Prodipe could probably be modded to sound the same.

Cortex CHP 2500 http://www.amazon.com/CORTEX-CHP-2500-Professional-DJ-Headphones/dp/B0018A20ZY (you even get additional velvet pads, amazing deal for $40 IMO)

I would be very interested myself in trying the Cortex ones but they are hard to find over here, at least in Finland I can't find them and seems difficult enough to even find them inside EU to reasonable price as well compared to in US. I've learnt that cheaper isn't necessarily worse as it seems to be a lot more important to find headphones that sound the way you want to rather than just getting some expensiver one and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back