Sennheiser HD 800 VS Grado PS 1000
Oct 2, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #137 of 202

Quote:

(...) The PS1000 connected to the right amp will serve you well with any kind of music. (...)

Can you suggest a high quality "right amp" for the PS1000? Thanks.

Oct 3, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #138 of 202

Quote:

Can you suggest a high quality "right amp" for the PS1000? Thanks.

good question!!!
apex pinnacle
biggrin.gif
, for example

Oct 3, 2011 at 5:37 AM Post #139 of 202
Oct 3, 2011 at 5:43 AM Post #140 of 202

Quote:
Is there any European competitor to the Apex Pinnacle?

rudistor rp-2000
biggrin.gif

all economic
now in serious:i sold the ps-1000 because in my opinion is difficult to match.
you are spanish?

Oct 3, 2011 at 6:05 AM Post #141 of 202
Sou Português :) só agora reparei que tu também.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #143 of 202

Quote:
If possible, find a hi fi shop in your area who have both, go there and have a good 2-3 hours session from the same source and amp, take your music with you, make your mind after.

It is a very personal thing and to me, Grado PS1000 were the winner.

Did this at my local audio shop - compared the HD800's to the PS500's.  The PS500's "won hands down!"  In fact, I thought the PS500's may be the best sounding phones I've had / demoed - which include most.  

Though, they didn't have the PS1000's for me to demo.  I'm very curious as to whether they are noticeably better sounding than the PS500's.  I'm a bit concerned that the stadium pads on the PS1000's may reduce the bass and mids too much compared to the PS500's.  I had the GS1000's and that was most definitely their effect on those - those pads just ruined their sound.  

Right now... I'm thinking I'll pick up some PS500's... unless... the PS1000's are noticeably better - meaning the bass and mids are just as good as the PS500's bass and mids.

UPDATE:  I guess I should have noted they only had the Grado HA-1 AC and Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus to drive these phones.  Those may not be the best amps to properly match the HD800's (i.e.  impedance, efficiency, etc.) - which can make all the difference in how the HD800's sound.

Apr 7, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #144 of 202

First of all, many thanks for coming back with this info.

I never tried PS500, maybe one day, but if your local shop is official Grado dealer, they can get an demo model for you, ask them, if you like of course. If I were you, I would tell the same as you telling us up here, just that you are worry what ever PS1000 will be worth the money for you and I believe they will make this possible, otherwise they are not customer "friendly" enough, if you know what I mean:)
Good thing about the demo, its fully burned, at least the model I had was, so, you will be sure of your choice, I think. I wouldnt rush, but thats me
ksc75smile.gif

THX
Quote:
Did this at my local audio shop - compared the HD800's to the PS500's.  The PS500's "won hands down!"  In fact, I thought the PS500's may be the best sounding phones I've had / demoed - which include most.  

Though, they didn't have the PS1000's for me to demo.  I'm very curious as to whether they are noticeably better sounding than the PS500's.  I'm a bit concerned that the stadium pads on the PS1000's may reduce the bass and mids too much compared to the PS500's.  I had the GS1000's and that was most definitely their effect on those - those pads just ruined their sound.  

Right now... I'm thinking I'll pick up some PS500's... unless... the PS1000's are noticeably better - meaning the bass and mids are just as good as the PS500's bass and mids.

Apr 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM Post #145 of 202

Quote:
First of all, many thanks for coming back with this info.

I never tried PS500, maybe one day, but if your local shop is official Grado dealer, they can get an demo model for you, ask them, if you like of course. If I were you, I would tell the same as you telling us up here, just that you are worry what ever PS1000 will be worth the money for you and I believe they will make this possible, otherwise they are not customer "friendly" enough, if you know what I mean:)
Good thing about the demo, its fully burned, at least the model I had was, so, you will be sure of your choice, I think. I wouldnt rush, but thats me
ksc75smile.gif

THX

You mean... they don't have to pay for the "demo model" from Grado?  

If that's the case... then I'll definitely ask them to get a "demo model" for me to try.  

I'd have them order a pair for me to try... except that... if I like them, I want to be able to buy from another dealer, which gives me a 20% discount - I doubt the local dealer would do that. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #146 of 202

No, they probably have to pay for demo model if they get one for their shop, but maybe they can loan a pair for you from somebody else. Never doubt in your local dealer, just ask them and you will know, also about possible discount. Sometimes its better to get less discount, but to buy from very friendly place, where the service are top notch, if need it of course, but thats just me.
The situation up here, Europe I mean, is a little differ, cos all shops get their Grado's from importer, who also may have an demo for them, otherwise you never sell it, because of the MSRP here I mean.
The other seller who give you an discount, can you demo at his place or its online shop only?

Quote:
You mean... they don't have to pay for the "demo model" from Grado?  

If that's the case... then I'll definitely ask them to get a "demo model" for me to try.  

I'd have them order a pair for me to try... except that... if I like them, I want to be able to buy from another dealer, which gives me a 20% discount - I doubt the local dealer would do that. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #147 of 202

Quote:
No, they probably have to pay for demo model if they get one for their shop, but maybe they can loan a pair for you from somebody else. Never doubt in your local dealer, just ask them and you will know, also about possible discount. Sometimes its better to get less discount, but to buy from very friendly place, where the service are top notch, if need it of course, but thats just me.
The situation up here, Europe I mean, is a little differ, cos all shops get their Grado's from importer, who also may have an demo for them, otherwise you never sell it, because of the MSRP here I mean.
The other seller who give you an discount, can you demo at his place or its online shop only?

No... it's a regular dealer in the Midwestern US, that also sells online.  I've bought several Grados from them with no issues.  From what I've read... several dealers will sell them at a discount... but... you have to ask for it.  

Apr 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM Post #148 of 202

Quote:
No... it's a regular dealer in the Midwestern US, that also sells online.  I've bought several Grados from them with no issues.  From what I've read... several dealers will sell them at a discount... but... you have to ask for it.  

The problem is this - the PS1000 is not always suited to an afternoon of auditioning - so many negative opinions of the PS1000 on Head-Fi
 have one thing in common, they all start with this :-

'So there I was with a corn dog in my hand and the guy hands me a PS1000 <fast forward to when corn dog is finished>'

'Oh yeh, I think they're ok or whatever'

Not good enough in my book. Unless you've had the headphone for a week or more and preferably with at least 3 x pairs of interconnects
 (no Radio Shack), a couple of amps and DAC's to play with then call me whack but I don't consider that opinion as really valid.

They go from poop to wow from recording to recording and that's before you delve into the Pandora's box that is actual system synergy.

Few folk on here have sailed the waters on what it takes to get the best out of these - and I'm just getting acquainted.

The only thing to remember is this :- Some well mastered records will under perform simply due to the way that they're voiced. Period.

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #149 of 202
Quote:
...Shortly after he sold both because they were inferior to the Accuphase C-2800 headphone out that he had owned.....

hi majkel,

hope you are still following this thread as you have posted this quite long ago.

i have a C-2800 also and thinking of I should get a HD-800 for it. Do you think it is sufficient to drive this headphone? from the c-2800 brochure, it just states "Suitable Impedance: 8 - 100 ohms" while HD-800 has an impedance of 300 ohms. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #150 of 202
Quote:

UPDATE:  I guess I should have noted they only had the Grado HA-1 AC and Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus to drive these phones.  Those may not be the best amps to properly match the HD800's (i.e.  impedance, efficiency, etc.) - which can make all the difference in how the HD800's sound.

Well... I got a pair of PS500's... and... they do sound great!

However... I'm still trying to decide if they are likely to "open up" with further burn in (maybe 50 hrs so far).  I mean... they have "a lot" of bass and lower mids emphasis, which makes them sound a bit "thick" - for lack of a better term.  They sound a bit like the HE-500's I tried (way too "thick")... but... much better.

I mean they do have a big, rich, dynamic sound, with a pretty big soundstage... but... they don't have quite the degree of "incisive" sound... say... of the RS-1's, or AD2000's, or the Stax SR-507's.  Their sound is a bit more like my "new version" HD580/600/650's (my version has the same drivers as the HD650's).   While the RS-1's, and SR-507's can sound a hair "thin" sometimes - they have a very refined, crystal clear, precise sound - the PS500's just a bit less so... tending towards a bit richer, fuller sound.

So... my question... do the PS1000's have more of a refined, clear, precise, incisive sound than the PS500's?  Is their upper bass / lower mids a bit less prominent in their overall balance?  Do they have a more "open and airy" sound? 

Or... maybe... the HD800's or HD700's have the sound I'm describing...

I guess... I'm really describing the sound of the AD2000's - so, why not just stick with those?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back