Sennheiser HD 800 OR Grado PS 1000 + AMP
Jun 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #46 of 55
Quote:
Finally after a 2 week mad research and some massive arguments with my mate, I bought a HD 800 (I nearly went for LCD 2). Oh well, that's how it is.

Now, I'm wondering what AMP/DAC should I buy? Not really an expert as I haven't done much research.

First thing is first - Tube AMP or SS? From what I have heard, they say HD 800's sound overly bright with SS amp. So, should I buy tube amp? I had few amps in my mind ->

1. Eddie Current Super 7
2. Vioelectric V200
3. Woo Audio WA2

Hey there, glad to hear back from you. I think if you're willing to get the Super 7, don't think any further and just get that! As for cable, a premium quality copper cable with a litz torsade is a good choice (the pattern of torsade also affects the sound as the metals do). I personally use Q cable and DHC.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 5, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #47 of 55
Hey there, glad to hear back from you. I think if you're willing to get the Super 7, don't think any further and just get that! As for cable, a premium quality copper cable with a litz torsade is a good choice (the pattern of torsade also affects the sound as the metals do). I personally use Q cable and DHC.

I congratulate you on your choice and ask that you evaluate your amps and cables and have the courage to send the cables for one back if they add nothing to your enjoyment of the music. If they do, can I have your stocks for a price :) mine are split apart on the right channel cable end but still work perfectly. Thanks to evo stick and insulating tape.
I have 2 ss amps , the slee novo which I run on battery and the hpa200 se. Superb. Shame you couldn't try one on approval. Whether they're in the same league as your woo etc I strongly doubt.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #48 of 55

Are you saying it was a bad idea to buy HD 800? If that's the case, I'll have to kill some people. I have listed my main music preferences. Not sure why you think HD 800 is bad. I know they sound completely natural/accurate, so some people might not like it. They say it's boring and not fun in the least. Oh well, I prefer a natural/accurate sound signature - the way the music is supposed to sound. No random warmth/coloration etc. That's just me though. No offense intended.

Im not saying HD800 is bad. Its fantastic but Im not sure thats the BEST possible option for such genres - Im afraid you could agree in longterm, after first "blown away" impression. You dont drive Bentley on Rally Championship because there are better cars suited for it. And I also prefer accurate and natural sound signature:) 
Im not going to make you confused - maybe youll love it and enjoy to the rest of your life:)

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #50 of 55
Im not saying HD800 is bad. Its fantastic but Im not sure thats the BEST possible option for such genres - Im afraid you could agree in longterm, after first "blown away" impression. You dont drive Bentley on Rally Championship because there are better cars suited for it. And I also prefer accurate and natural sound signature:) 
Im not going to make you confused - maybe youll love it and enjoy to the rest of your life:)

Well he did say that albeit not necessarily the perfect match for his music, he said he wanted something neutral and accurate to the source...

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #51 of 55
I dont see it in first post :p I just prefer method of small steps for unexperienced user rather than buying best of the best because we all hear different. I would like to advice an author at least one audition of very popular cans to get an idea whats most preferrable sound signature. But now I think a lot of nice people would help him to get superb system for HD800.
Michaelx I hope you have good source for them:)

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #52 of 55
i like them with WA2, but i seem to prefer them off WA6-SE just cause its slightly more detailed and crispier than WA2. but if you're budget is 2000$ i'm sure the super 7 would be a better choice, especially since you can upgrade tubes on that as well. maybe even stretch your budget just a little bit and get a ZDSE?

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #53 of 55
Sounds good dubstep girl. I'll get ZDSE I guess. It's $200 more I believe.

Quote:
Probably best to get several phones. Most of us do
smily_headphones1.gif

Ha yeah. I'm not really a hardcore audiophile like you guys are, but yea probably in long term. I'm actually a fan of electrostatics, so might get it later.

Also, thanks to dleblanc, audiojos, stacker for the great suggestions.

Peace.

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #54 of 55
You're welcome, sir.

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #55 of 55
Let us know how you like your system once it's all in house 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back