Sennheiser HD 800 OR Grado PS 1000 + AMP
May 29, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #31 of 55
Quote:
Guy is looking HP for trance, techno, rap and thinking about HD800. For me its just terrible. What else do you need to be translated?
Oh and I forgot metal. Looking at his post I highly doubt he ever heard HD800. So I assume his choice is based on positive reviews of HD800 overall plus PS1000 because his friend told him so. Not my money but please dont you think its bad from beginning? Better if he bought both DT990 and AKG701 for now. Its not that simple to build great system.

hd 800 is actually one of my favorites for trance, it isn't the best for techno and rap, but its not bad either.

the HE-5LE is definitely a great headphone for electronic though, has very nice bass

May 30, 2013 at 1:35 AM Post #32 of 55
I listen to metal with the hd800s. But I don't listen to trance or rap or techno. Low end for the hd800s will not be able to compete with the other top end headphones but it will compete with them on the separation of the various instruments. The immediate impession is that they sound thin in comparison to other top headphones. You have to live with them to get used to what you're losing and gaining. Other top headphones will have their immedate impressions and then grow on you as you get used to their sound. You'll have a great time with most of them with your musical tastes.
Trouble is you'll not really know which is the best for your ears til you've had months and months of each and every one. Hope your bank manager is ready for this....

May 30, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #33 of 55
I compared HD800 and PS1000 on such trackŁ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF33EJ85-1I&list=PLDD4B5EEF82D08CF0

HD800 were lifeless and guitar sounded odd. PS1000 were much more engaging, musical and "true". Despite horrendous price and terrible build quality I still think these are very underrated HPs.
HD800 are fantastic but I dont think these could be better for such choice of genres overall. And theres plenty of other choices...I just cant believe someone wants to buy such headphones "in the dark".

May 30, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:
I listen to metal with the hd800s. But I don't listen to trance or rap or techno. Low end for the hd800s will not be able to compete with the other top end headphones but it will compete with them on the separation of the various instruments. The immediate impession is that they sound thin in comparison to other top headphones. You have to live with them to get used to what you're losing and gaining. Other top headphones will have their immedate impressions and then grow on you as you get used to their sound. You'll have a great time with most of them with your musical tastes.
Trouble is you'll not really know which is the best for your ears til you've had months and months of each and every one. Hope your bank manager is ready for this....

Don't mean to be rude but if you think that you need a better amp
wink_face.gif

May 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #36 of 55
Quote:
Hi I understand what you're saying but I actually like the type of bass response from the HD800s and I don't wish to change the way they sound by altering components. I was trying to be objective

I understand but my point is the HD800's have bass at least as good as the other flagships, they just need the right amp to being it out.'

In fact if I compare the bass on my HD800 with the bass on my LCD2's guess which I normally prefer 
wink_face.gif

Jun 1, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #37 of 55
The hd 800 has excellent bass. Very clean, fast, good slam, control, extension, and texture

Jun 1, 2013 at 6:26 AM Post #38 of 55
I don't call HD800's bass as excellent, excellent is the word for something without any flaw and perfect in every aspect. Imho, it's just ok, or good.

Excellent bass is the word for Fostex TH900.

Jun 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #39 of 55
Quote:
I don't call HD800's bass as excellent, excellent is the word for something without any flaw and perfect in every aspect. Imho, it's just ok, or good.

Excellent does not equal perfect.

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #41 of 55
Quote:

The TH900s may hit harder, but the better bass quality is on the HD800s...sorry, no doubt to my ears. If that's not the case, then you might want to look at the upstream rig. The TH-900s sound great out of almost anything, so listeners are likely hearing them at almost their best. The HD800s are another story altogether in that regard. 

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #42 of 55
Quote:
I compared HD800 and PS1000 on such trackŁ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF33EJ85-1I&list=PLDD4B5EEF82D08CF0

HD800 were lifeless and guitar sounded odd. PS1000 were much more engaging, musical and "true". Despite horrendous price and terrible build quality I still think these are very underrated HPs.
HD800 are fantastic but I dont think these could be better for such choice of genres overall. And theres plenty of other choices...I just cant believe someone wants to buy such headphones "in the dark".

I got to hear the PS1000s again (for like the 5th time) and still they don't do it for me. Between these and the GS1000s, I thought Grado missed the boat on new headphone designs. Luckily they came out with the PS500s. YMMV of course. With regards to the HD800s sounding "lifeless" you might want to look at my post immediately above this one and substitute the PS1000s for the TH-900s with regards to hearing them at "almost their full potential".

Jun 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #44 of 55
What I mean is that HD800 arent the best HP for such genres - nothing more. I also dont have PS1000 because its not my cup of tea for longterm listening. Nevertheless I find them quite good in many aspects but build quality and price is bad.

Jun 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #45 of 55
Finally after a 2 week mad research and some massive arguments with my mate, I bought a HD 800 (I nearly went for LCD 2). Oh well, that's how it is.

Now, I'm wondering what AMP/DAC should I buy? Not really an expert as I haven't done much research.

First thing is first - Tube AMP or SS? From what I have heard, they say HD 800's sound overly bright with SS amp. So, should I buy tube amp? I had few amps in my mind ->

1. Eddie Current Super 7
2. Vioelectric V200
3. Woo Audio WA2
Nuforce and Burson, not sure which ones. My budget is $2,000.

Also, what cable should I buy to replace the stock one?

Quote:
What I mean is that HD800 arent the best HP for such genres - nothing more. I also dont have PS1000 because its not my cup of tea for longterm listening. Nevertheless I find them quite good in many aspects but build quality and price is bad.

Are you saying it was a bad idea to buy HD 800? If that's the case, I'll have to kill some people. I have listed my main music preferences. Not sure why you think HD 800 is bad. I know they sound completely natural/accurate, so some people might not like it. They say it's boring and not fun in the least. Oh well, I prefer a natural/accurate sound signature - the way the music is supposed to sound. No random warmth/coloration etc. That's just me though. No offense intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back