Sennheiser HD 800 OR Grado PS 1000 + AMP
May 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

michaelx

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to decide between these two headphones. I'm favoring 800 at the moment (being a sennheiser fanboy), but my mate is trying to convince me to buy PS1000 because it's better overall, in his opinion.

My music preferences: (High to Low)

Trance, Techno, Industrial Metal, Classical, Hardstyle and a mix of hip hop/rap.

Comfort is not really a factor here as I know 800s are more comfortable. Maybe a little overview over PROS and CONS?

Also, I would like to know if Schiit Lyr (AMP) is good enough. Any other recommendation? Or a good tube amp.

May 5, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 55
they sound COMPLETELY different!  while I would suggest the HD800 110%, you may want to find your way to a meet to hear for yourself

May 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 55
I had the chance to compare the HD800 and the PS1000 at home, on my 4 modest sound systems, the ''main'' sound system consist of a Yamaha DVD-S2700, and Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2, and although the HD800 sounded very nice, i felt that the PS1000 had an effortless way about them, an almost euphonic, engaging sound, that gave them an edge over the HD800, wich sounded very neutral, but a bit boring for my taste.

Also, i have found the PS1000, much less ''amp dependant'' than the HD800, my other 3 sound systems are mostly composed of vintage gear from the mid seventies, and on these, the difference was even more pronounced in favor of the PS1000.

I think that you can't go wrong in chosing either of those headphones, they both sound great, but like i said, the PS1000 will sing sraight out of the headphone output of just about anything, wich makes them more versatile.

You might also want to take look at the Auudeze LCD2/3, wich also sound very good, but definately benefit need a good amp to show you what they can do.

May 6, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 55
Hd 800 or beyerdynamic t1 :D

The ps1000 is a great headphone though

May 6, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 55
So, looks like I won't be buying PS1000. Can anyone go over some of the aspects in brief? Ex - Mid range/ soundstage/ bass/treble.

And, also what amp would be good for 800? Is Lyr good enough?

May 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #6 of 55
For your selection of music preferences, an ortho is probably the best way to go. Although the HD800's are my favourite headphone among the HE6, LCD3, PS1000 and HE500; it loses out to all three of those in bass slam (not resolution).

The HE6 is probably the best headphone for your musical tastes if you can match it with a warm sounding speaker amp; which is kind of a inconvenience. They are absolutely the best headphone for the price if you can drive them properly which is no easy feat.

The LCD3's, (if you can find them used if budget does not permit) are great and present the music in a very natural manner.

Also the HE500's is worth the mention for it's musicality, natural freq response and versatility; but you lose out on resolution compared to the others.

The Beyer T1 is sort of similar to the HD800 but with more bass impact but lack of refinement and speed and linearity.

If you want the Lyr, you may very well like any of the ortho's with them. The HD800's will sound great with that amp too, and most likely be most impressive with their soundstage and technicality/resolution; but they might also miss some lower registry impact and get bothersome after long listens.

I think you should go out and try the headphones first, but probably keep the LCD3, HE500 and LCD2 at the top of your list.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 55
Quote:
For your selection of music preferences, an ortho is probably the best way to go. Although the HD800's are my favourite headphone among the HE6, LCD3, PS1000 and HE500; it loses out to all three of those in bass slam (not resolution).

The HE6 is probably the best headphone for your musical tastes if you can match it with a warm sounding speaker amp; which is kind of a inconvenience. They are absolutely the best headphone for the price if you can drive them properly which is no easy feat.

The LCD3's, (if you can find them used if budget does not permit) are great and present the music in a very natural manner.

Also the HE500's is worth the mention for it's musicality, natural freq response and versatility; but you lose out on resolution compared to the others.

The Beyer T1 is sort of similar to the HD800 but with more bass impact but lack of refinement and speed and linearity.

If you want the Lyr, you may very well like any of the ortho's with them. The HD800's will sound great with that amp too, and most likely be most impressive with their soundstage and technicality/resolution; but they might also miss some lower registry impact and get bothersome after long listens.

I think you should go out and try the headphones first, but probably keep the LCD3, HE500 and LCD2 at the top of your list.

+1

but i think a well driven T1 is like an HE-500 with less bass but just as musical, natural and versatile, while having incredible resolution. though its not as smooth. as long as you can find an amp that can bring the mids out more and smoothen out the treble peaks.

i was going to recommend the HE-500 as well, but it definitely isn't as resolving (cause its more forgiving)

May 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 55
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah lcd3 is a bit too expensive IMO. I would rather spend that extra $600 on amp. I was wondering if woo audio wa2 is good enough for HD 800? Or should I go for lyr.

May 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 55
WA2 is great with HD 800! smooth treble, adds more weight to the mids, and the bass is more full sounding. the WA2 takes the edge off but still allows the HD 800s to be detailed with a wide soundstage. if you tube roll with WA2/HD 800, the sound just gets even better.

May 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #10 of 55
Isn't the WA6SE more punchy than the WA2? haven't compared the amps in over a year. Dubstep Girl owns both if I recall correctly; definitely should chime in on that!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 9, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 55
Quote:
Isn't the WA6SE more punchy than the WA2? haven't compared the amps in over a year. Dubstep Girl owns both if I recall correctly; definitely should chime in on that!

slightly but yes the WA6-SE is punchier. the bass changes alot with tubes but i feel like quantity-wise, they're close. the WA6-SE just has the cleaner bass, its tighter, slightly more textured, and more controlled. the WA2 has more bass bloom and doesn't have the same accuracy as the WA6-SE. its a small difference but noticeable. 

May 26, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #12 of 55
Oh my friend,please listen to your mate and get the grado.It is much more exciting ,fun,and engaging than the sen.800,plus the hd800 has serious treble cringe,unbearable.Sometimes i wonder about some of the threads on headfi.The gradops 1000 does not really require amp to sound good,mine sound better out of nad reciever headphone jack,better than the grado ra1.do not buy the ra1 headphone amp.I  am currently in the market for an amp for my ps1000.I went to n.y. audio show last 2 years,and while this year did not find ps1000,did find gs1000 at the woo disply.Many woo amps made improvement on gs 1000,but last year the best headphone amp combo, by far was the ps1000 with one of hifiman amp,(i cannot remember which one,but it was hifi mans top line).The setup also included a  oppo bdp93.This combo for me was the best sound in any headphone that i have heard to date.Now, i am not saying that the hifiman is the best amp for ps1000,just the best i have heard so far.I,ve been into headphones for 45 years and have had many brands including koss,sen,pan.,sony,stanton,akg,hifiman,and hell, to many more to list. Most recently gradosr325,then rs1,now ps1000.If you want optimum sound it would be wise to get something with good dac though,(i have oppo bdp95,and it is absolutley fantastic).As i said i am also looking for best amp for ps1000,but trust me my friend,if you desire the best sound possible, get the gradops1000,not the senn. hd800,if it,s not to late.Good listening.

May 26, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 55
Nobody mentioned about what kind of budget the OP has? Current gear, amp/dac (source) etc?

At OP you're going to get responses from people who are single minded with only one brand (favouritism) so I'd suggest go listening to the actual headphones itself since you're not spending $5-10 impulse purchases. That said I've heard the PS1000 once, I own the HD800's, the PS1000 is a very fun sounding headphone but in terms of resolution and listening to reference material (classical, jazz, well recorded ambient), the PS1k period doesn't hold a candle against the HD800 in terms of this area. 

Do note the keyword in my post.

May 26, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 55
For all serious audiophiles I know in real life who have experienced both the HD800 and PS1000; only one preferred the PS1000 (on his setup), and that's out of 9 people.

Personally, I bought the PS1000's last spring as I am a dealer of Grado, and ended up swapping for the HD800's less than two weeks later. I actually forget from time to time I've owned the PS1000's after having owned the HD800, HE6, LCD3, HE500 and LCD2; which are all better once properly set-up. The strong point of the PS1000 is really the way it sounds with hard rock, classic rock and rap/hip hop. It's very raw, aggressive and sharp; it fits that music very well. But for anything else, I really did not enjoy it that much compared to other lower priced headphones.

The PS1000 are a v-shaped flagship, it' got very good bass slam and crisp highs (sharper than the HD800 on the same set-ups I've owned). The mids are a bit subdued and oddly defined; that's the glaring problem for the headphone for me. If the mids weren't dropped, the headphone would be much more neutral, and I'm convinced the center stage would be better definied and brought up front of you rather than in your head.

May 26, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #15 of 55
Quote:
For all serious audiophiles I know in real life who have experienced both the HD800 and PS1000; only one preferred the PS1000 (on his setup), and that's out of 9 people.

Personally, I bought the PS1000's last spring as I am a dealer of Grado, and ended up swapping for the HD800's less than two weeks later. I actually forget from time to time I've owned the PS1000's after having owned the HD800, HE6, LCD3, HE500 and LCD2; which are all better once properly set-up. The strong point of the PS1000 is really the way it sounds with hard rock, classic rock and rap/hip hop. It's very raw, aggressive and sharp; it fits that music very well. But for anything else, I really did not enjoy it that much compared to other lower priced headphones.

The PS1000 are a v-shaped flagship, it' got very good bass slam and crisp highs (sharper than the HD800 on the same set-ups I've owned). The mids are a bit subdued and oddly defined; that's the glaring problem for the headphone for me. If the mids weren't dropped, the headphone would be much more neutral, and I'm convinced the center stage would be better definied and brought up front of you rather than in your head.

I don't know if i'm the one you're referring to, but if not, had my vote for the PS1000, like i have said, the HD800 are very good sounding headphones, but as far as i'm concerned the PS1000 ts the better sounding of the two, and, you don't have to buy an amp for them to give you the lion's share of what they have to offer.

Quote:
Nobody mentioned about what kind of budget the OP has? Current gear, amp/dac (source) etc?

At OP you're going to get responses from people who are single minded with only one brand (favouritism) so I'd suggest go listening to the actual headphones itself since you're not spending $5-10 impulse purchases. That said I've heard the PS1000 once, I own the HD800's, the PS1000 is a very fun sounding headphone but in terms of resolution and listening to reference material (classical, jazz, well recorded ambient), the PS1k period doesn't hold a candle against the HD800 in terms of this area. 

Do note the keyword in my post.

''doesn't hold a candle'' seriously?, arent't you exagerrating a little ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back