Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 24, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #6,226 of 6,519
I think the egg shaped hifiman with the least metallic sound that I've tried is Edition XS. If you want to give them a try its definitely worth the current reduced price of $379 US.

But yeah, if you're a fan of the realism and natural sound of the Sennheiser HD6 line, you won't find it in Hifiman's lineup.
Thank u a lot , good to know that Edition Xs are the least metalic of them all, they are not expensive and yeah i will plan buy them .
Can i make 1 more question ? All my Hifiman Headphones had something strange , i know that will sound stupid but depending where i was the sound was different, if i was to my home close to the sea the sound was different to the sound that i got when i was to my home at Mountain , i though i was crazy and back then i read that these very vey thin membranes are very sensitive to air pressure .. they even told me that if i closely move my hands to the outside part of the headphone i gone notice a sound difference , i did that and the sound does change when i was closing my hands to the driver i could hear difference even if my hand was 5-8 cm distance from the driver ...
Do u have any xp with that ? Sory for Off topic.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #6,227 of 6,519
Bipole (Δίπολο). They fire sound in both directions. Outwards and inwards. This is why when you put your hand you cover the sound.

This is why they are great for movies.

I prefer my 4xx even from elex when i am watching on the couch from my tv.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 7:24 AM Post #6,228 of 6,519
Thank u a lot , good to know that Edition Xs are the least metalic of them all, they are not expensive and yeah i will plan buy them .
Can i make 1 more question ? All my Hifiman Headphones had something strange , i know that will sound stupid but depending where i was the sound was different, if i was to my home close to the sea the sound was different to the sound that i got when i was to my home at Mountain , i though i was crazy and back then i read that these very vey thin membranes are very sensitive to air pressure .. they even told me that if i closely move my hands to the outside part of the headphone i gone notice a sound difference , i did that and the sound does change when i was closing my hands to the driver i could hear difference even if my hand was 5-8 cm distance from the driver ...
Do u have any xp with that ? Sory for Off topic.
They are wide open and the sound does change significantly if you put your hands near the earcup, so I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps different rooms or even different humidities and/or air movement could change the sound a bit.

Or if could be in your head and dependent on your mood, etc.

Feb 24, 2024 at 7:25 AM Post #6,229 of 6,519
Bipole (Δίπολο). They fire sound in both directions. Outwards and inwards. This is why when you put your hand you cover the sound.

This is why they are great for movies.

I prefer my 4xx even from elex when i am watching on the couch from my tv.
4XX is which headphone?

Feb 25, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #6,232 of 6,519
Rather than resurrect dead 660S (original) threads I'll just ask here: What's a reasonable NIB price for an S? (My backup)

The 660S2 is on sale for $399 on Amazon, B&H, etc, right now.

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #6,233 of 6,519
Rather than resurrect dead 660S (original) threads I'll just ask here: What's a reasonable NIB price for an S? (My backup)
I would say for a new version 1. About. £320. Mine were just over £200. But mint second hand.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #6,234 of 6,519
Got my 660s2 today. Very clean sounding and free of veil in any frequency range.

They sound very similar to my Meze Elite as far as quality goes and that's impressive for $400. Vocals are a bit closer on the 660s2 but nonetheless, great set.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #6,235 of 6,519
Got my 660s2 today. Very clean sounding and free of veil in any frequency range.

They sound very similar to my Meze Elite as far as quality goes and that's impressive for $400. Vocals are a bit closer on the 660s2 but nonetheless, great set.
400? damn i got mine for 600. still an amazing pair of headphone.

what are you driving them with?

Feb 28, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #6,236 of 6,519

Welcome to the club! I really cannot get enough of the 660S2. I wear them 6-8 hours a day.

Feb 28, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #6,237 of 6,519
Welcome to the club! I really cannot get enough of the 660S2. I wear them 6-8 hours a day.
You must look like my avatar :relaxed:

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #6,238 of 6,519
If in the US, direct from Sennheiser, refurbished, like new with full 2 year warranty and free shipping...$199!
https://us.sennheiser-hearing.com/collections/outlet/products/hd-660s-refurbished
Screen Shot 2024-02-28 at 7.38.15 AM.png

Feb 28, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #6,240 of 6,519
Thank you. They were a bit tight but I stretched them and the clamp is much more acceptable now. Other than that they have been stellar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back