Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Dec 6, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #5,687 of 6,725
Well today I pulled out the foam inserts as mentioned by Jonathan C. What a difference! The clarity took a big step up and you could hear the "breathiness" of female singers more.
Funny, I pulled out my foam a few weeks ago and really liked the clarity but then put it back in as it brought the voices too forward. Lately I've have been listening to my new Beyerdynamic Amiron Home for the last week which have a much more linear out of the head soundscape, which I prefer.
I was under the impressions that Beyerdynamic always have too much excess treble, the Amiron Home have obviously have been voiced quite differently (remind me of the NDH30) because throwing on the HD660S2 the S2 oddly enough came across too bright (which they are not) and in your face.... until one readjust.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #5,688 of 6,725
I removed the foam inserts today and with the help of my wife inserted black panty hose to protect the driver.
Used to do that with the HD580/600s.....but you're lucky, believe it's in fashion now.
Screenshot 2023-12-06 at 1.13.20 PM.png
...wasn't always. :confounded:

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #5,689 of 6,725
Funny, I pulled out my foam a few weeks ago and really liked the clarity but then put it back in as it brought the voices too forward. Lately I've have been listening to my new Beyerdynamic Amiron Home for the last week which have a much more linear out of the head soundscape, which I prefer.
I was under the impressions that Beyerdynamic always have too much excess treble, the Amiron Home have obviously have been voiced quite differently (remind me of the NDH30) because throwing on the HD660S2 the S2 oddly enough came across too bright (which they are not) and in your face.... until one readjust.
I took some pic's while I was doing it, from different angles. Looked at the pics after all was said and done and guess what? There was two small hairs on one driver, which I then pushed the pad back over.
My wife cut off all the excess material, so to pull the pad off I would have to do all the work over.

Just going to enjoy it for now. Just diving into about four hours of Freddie Hubbard .

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #5,690 of 6,725
My wife cut off all the excess material, so to pull the pad off I would have to do all the work over.
Believe I did it the same way, it worked out quite well . Initially I put the mesh over the driver and sort of pulled it taught as I put the pad back on and when snipping the excess the edges pulled in out of the way, but you are right each time it has to be completely redone.

Dec 6, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #5,691 of 6,725
Believe I did it the same way..............
Found it....2004
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-veil-1-8th-inch-foam.92513/#post-1076494
In reference to attaching the nylon stockings, it takes a bit of playing around. Cut a piece large enough to stretch to the outsides of the ear pads, carefully start to snap the ear pads back into place while keeping the stocking stretched tightly around. Any excess can be cleanly cut away by pulling on the excess and snipping it away, any edges will then snap back under the pads out of site.sight.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #5,692 of 6,725
Does anyone have both the Fiio K7 and the JDS Element? Which would pair better with the HD660s2's?

I jumped from JDS Atom -> FiiO K7 Pro -> Topping L30 -> JDS EL II+ Stack.

In short: The JDS Atom and HD660S2 was a bit shouty. K7 Pro was alright but didn't have the clarity of the Atom. L30 lacked a bit of treble definition compared to the JDS Atom. EL II+ has a smidge more clarity in the midrange than the K7 and didn't have the shoutiness from the JDS Atom.

Regarding HD660S2 quirks, it would be that the upper bass does touch the lower mids, so there's a thickness that's present with vocals. The second thing is that the HD660S2 has an upper mid peak at 5khz-ish that can get in the way with intense vocals. Paired with the EL II+, my ears easily adjusted to the HD660S2 a lot easier compared to when paired with prior mentioned sources.

I've essentially strapped my stack to my PC, as I find they're the perfect pairing for the HD660S2. I honestly never though the HD660S2 would change with sources unlike my HD600, but it does.

20230722_164548096_iOS.jpg

Dec 7, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #5,693 of 6,725
I was able to get my hands on a second pair of HD660s2, tought it was a good Idea to have a second set. But after considering it, Im thinking of selling the second pair in the classified this weekend. Thought Id you know in case anyone here was interested in buying or trading for it.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #5,694 of 6,725
I haven't tried no foam on the HD 660S2, but my past experience with doing it on other HD 6xx headphones is it had a negative impact on how natural they sounded to my ears. I personally like the S2 as is and I'm not going to bother modding it. That's really just people complaining about certain models of Beyers (even in Beyers treble happy era, not all of them were bright) and this is compounded when the headphones are not put on good gear, the treble on those trebly Beyers can be quite unpleasant on lower quality gear and source material. Beyer has toned down the treble with it's more recent releases, most anything released since the Amiron Home came out should be quite safe treble wise.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #5,695 of 6,725
I've a HDVD800, similar in amplification and yes impedance matching comes into play, while fine with the HD800S and S2 my AKG K872 36 ohm are much better served with the Bryston BHA1 or the little SMSL HO100 at almost 0 impedance which supply more current on lower impedance headphones.
But power and impedance is not everything and designers go to great lengths in trying to get the final electrical signal that that powers the drivers translated into what we perceive as a musically accepted performance from very complex waveforms.

I found this video clearer on the explanation...

Just to add that the biggest complaint against the Senn amps is that due to the higher impedance output they are less versatile than similar and cheaper priced units, still IMHO a fine sounding solid state.

Hi! You've got a really good point about impedance matching. It's such a crucial part of getting the best out of your gear, isn't it? Your setup with the HDVD800 sounds like a great match for those high-impedance Sennheisers. It's always satisfying when you find that perfect pairing.

And I totally see what you mean with your AKG K872s. Those lower-impedance cans can really shine with an amp that's got a lower output impedance. It's interesting how they seem to come alive with something like the Bryston BHA1 or the SMSL HO100, isn't it? The way these amps can pump out more current really makes a difference, especially in the bass department.

1700481953688.png

HD 58X Jubilee (green) approx $130, HD660S2 (red) approx $400
From the chart, the HD 58X (the green line) seems pretty steady, right? That tells us it's got a pretty solid and balanced sound profile. At around $130, that's pretty sweet, I'd say. However, the chart of HD 660S2 showing a bit more action in the treble, which might translate to those extra details popping in your music. But hey, these charts don't catch everything. Like, how do you feel about the soundstage and imaging? That's where you can really sense the depth and placement in your music, which can be pretty subjective and not something you can glean from these lines.

Dec 8, 2023 at 8:58 AM Post #5,696 of 6,725
I jumped from JDS Atom -> FiiO K7 Pro -> Topping L30 -> JDS EL II+ Stack.

In short: The JDS Atom and HD660S2 was a bit shouty. K7 Pro was alright but didn't have the clarity of the Atom. L30 lacked a bit of treble definition compared to the JDS Atom. EL II+ has a smidge more clarity in the midrange than the K7 and didn't have the shoutiness from the JDS Atom.

Regarding HD660S2 quirks, it would be that the upper bass does touch the lower mids, so there's a thickness that's present with vocals. The second thing is that the HD660S2 has an upper mid peak at 5khz-ish that can get in the way with intense vocals. Paired with the EL II+, my ears easily adjusted to the HD660S2 a lot easier compared to when paired with prior mentioned sources.

I've essentially strapped my stack to my PC, as I find they're the perfect pairing for the HD660S2. I honestly never though the HD660S2 would change with sources unlike my HD600, but it does.

Thank you for these impressions. You've gone quite far trying to find the perfect pairing :)

Sick picture btw, your build looks really cool! I like how the stack fits quite nicely with the overall aesthetic

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #5,697 of 6,725
From the chart, the HD 58X (the green line) seems pretty steady, right? That tells us it's got a pretty solid and balanced sound profile. At around $130, that's pretty sweet, I'd say. However, the chart of HD 660S2 showing a bit more action in the treble,
Charts may show us the balance and ingredients but even though they appear equal on paper one may be a TV diner while the other a Gourmet cooked meal. :)

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #5,698 of 6,725
I personally like the S2 as is and I'm not going to bother modding it.
Yep, the S2 are fine as they are.....although for personal reasons I'm using perforated sheepskin pads.
Funny, I pulled out my foam a few weeks ago and really liked the clarity but then put it back in

Beyer has toned down the treble with it's more recent releases, most anything released since the Amiron Home came out should be quite safe treble wise.
As the Amiron are my 1st "recent" Beyerdynamic they're pretty smooth sailing and very balanced tonally across the board, the S2, while an improvement technically over its predecessors, is still a mid-centric phone and with its more convex presentation a compliment as I mentioned earlier to the Amiron Home.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #5,700 of 6,725
I am enjoying these today with the foam out. The mids are a bit more forward and the bass is sharper. I had been finding the bass a little muffled or soft. This is much better, for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back