Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Nov 10, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #5,538 of 6,519
I am pairing my 660s2 with the newer JDS Element 3 Mk2, they seem to pair very well. You also get a nice deep bass with this pairing without any EQ. In the case you do need to add some bass or treble the Element does allows you to EQ the bass and treble in the controls

Attachments

• 20231110_190749.jpg
    20231110_190749.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #5,539 of 6,519
I will phrase this as a statement, but, in fact it is a question. Is this maybe true ?

The biggest difference between the HD660S and the HD660S2 is that Sennheiser abandoned the idea of trying to make the HD660 be headphones for smartphones. That is to say, moving down from 300 ohms to 150 ohms, as they did with the S. As they are "open back" headphones, the idea that people will be wearing them outside of the home was always a bit doubtful. Going back to 300 ohms with the S2 allowed Sennheiser to go back to making great HD660 headphones again, in terms of design and manufacturing.

Is that true, maybe ?

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #5,540 of 6,519
I will phrase this as a statement, but, in fact it is a question. Is this maybe true ?

The biggest difference between the HD660S and the HD660S2 is that Sennheiser abandoned the idea of trying to make the HD660 be headphones for smartphones. That is to say, moving down from 300 ohms to 150 ohms, as they did with the S. As they are "open back" headphones, the idea that people will be wearing them outside of the home was always a bit doubtful. Going back to 300 ohms with the S2 allowed Sennheiser to go back to making great HD660 headphones again, in terms of design and manufacturing.

Is that true, maybe ?
I'm not smart enough to really speak about it detail, but I think they also changed the driver and baffle material/design to add more bass presence and cut some of the upper mids. I want to say they made the driver slightly more technical, with lower THD esp in the bass because it seems cleaner.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #5,541 of 6,519
but I think they also changed the driver and baffle material/design to add more bass presence... they made the driver slightly more technical, with lower THD esp in the bass because it seems cleaner.
Yes, something like that. And then those changes meant that they needed more electricity, more "ohms", to push the heavier materials (?). That's essentially what I am wondering about.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #5,542 of 6,519
The biggest difference between the HD660S and the HD660S2 is that Sennheiser abandoned the idea of trying to make the HD660 be headphones for smartphones.
From the horses mouth. :)
I don't know, what does that mean to you? If you look at the color or size, that's the same.
The acoustic difference between HD 660S and HD 660S2 have mostly been achieved by significant changes to the transducer, which has a markedly different diaphragm, voice coil and magnet chassis, which are the primary components of the motor. I already elaborated on the diaphragm, the voice coil is also new and has an impedance closer to 350 Ohms, and the magnet chassis had to be revised to accommodate the larger excursion. So if your definition of "driver" is different acoustically relevant elements, then this a new driver. From a manufacturing standpoint, it's much harder to build and costs us up to 3 times as much as the original SYS40. To me, those differences make it a new transducer.
So basically an improved driver performance all round.

Nov 12, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #5,544 of 6,519
Well, it seems that I've come full circle with the s2. I bought them, liked them but thought that they shared too much familial lineage with the 650 which I already owned. Since I'd had such a long history with the 650 and essentially looked at it as my "normal" I decided to let the s2 go. I started regretting that decision almost as soon as I put them in the mail after the sale. A week went by and I missed them even more...to the point I decided that I'd need to reacquire them. After mentioning needing them back on this thread, the same nice guy I sold them to offered to return them to me. So they have literally come full circle back to me like a boomerang. Having them back in house this week, I couldn't be happier with them and am enjoying the crap out of the them. No longer listening critically and eventually, just pure enjoyment.

I feel that (at least for me) this is the best of the 6x0 and the best Sennheiser has made in the line (and yes, I feel that the s2 is fact "better" than my faithful and trusted 650). While I can't answer the s2 vs 650 debate for everyone I can certainly feel comfortable and confident that for myself that the s2 is the ONE.

I'm getting everything that I loved with the 650, plus improvements in the bass, treble, staging and reactive "quickness" of the driver. My hat is off to Sennheiser, they made one hell of a headphone with this one. Today is an afternoon on the s2 with the BH Crack and some choice tubes while cueing up the new one from Rickie Lee Jones (best album since Pop Pop) and the recent Chris Botti: Vol 1 release. These are good times...

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #5,546 of 6,519
I actually recieved the 660s2 this past week add love them. I had bought the 6xx and the 650 prior and never really liked them, though i really tried to like them. Then I puchsed the the 66os2 because I heared they had a different sound to them and I just cant take them off. They really have a nice tune to them that I really enjoy. I also just purchased the ZMF Sheepskin perferated pads because i prefer the feel and durability of leather. I hear they raise the bass slighty but dont change the overall sound, hope thats te case. Anyone here use pads?

Nov 12, 2023 at 5:03 PM Post #5,547 of 6,519
the s2 is so damn fun when you just push the volume for fun.

but they also work extremely well on lower levels

and what gets me is that they never tend to get harsh what ever you trow at them

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #5,549 of 6,519
I am pairing my 660s2 with the newer JDS Element 3 Mk2, they seem to pair very well. You also get a nice deep bass with this pairing without any EQ. In the case you do need to add some bass or treble the Element does allows you to EQ the bass and treble in the controls
Did you consider any other amps? Maybe even a tube amp at a similar price point? I plan to get a pair and am researching what to pair them with.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back