Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Oct 22, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #5,341 of 6,505
Not the 109 velour, but I was able to put the 99 pads on the Sennheiser ring to have pleather pads on my wooden cup sennheisers.

I was also able to fit Shure 1540 alcantara pads on the rings as well.

I really thought the 109 pads were nice and curious about them as well (fit and most importantly sound changes)

As nice as 109 pro is (fit, finish, and comfort) I felt the s2 as more refined overall and I did hear them side by side on same amp.109 were very sharp for my ears.
I read about the complaints about the 109 Pro and it's sharpness, it's what put me off of wanting to try them out, but I'll listen to a pair if I have the chance. I've read some people mention it's due to the stock cable they have. Honestly I'm glad I opted for the HD 660S2 instead. The HD 660S2 alongside the Amiron Home are probably my favorite $400-600 headphones I've tried.

Oct 22, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #5,342 of 6,505
I read about the complaints about the 109 Pro and it's sharpness, it's what put me off of wanting to try them out, but I'll listen to a pair if I have the chance. I've read some people mention it's due to the stock cable they have. Honestly I'm glad I opted for the HD 660S2 instead. The HD 660S2 alongside the Amiron Home are probably my favorite $400-600 headphones I've tried.

It's quite possible years ago I may have found them more appealing as I was into the brighter headphones and it doesn't surprise me in their popularity.

They look high quality and very comfortable (at same level or higher than 6 series)

But sound wise to me, it wasn't my cuppa tea.

Perhaps with a tube amp and some EQ it could be a winner but I didn't have that luxury.

I think it's worth a listen b/c if it works with one's ears, the other factors make it a real good choice as a main headphone

But 660s2 is much safer choice I think for masses

Oct 22, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #5,343 of 6,505
Well with all the talk about closed back full size headphones. And waiting for a no doubt expensive set. I have the sennheiser Hd569 . Cheap and useful . Plus the Focal Elegia , which i do like and use the most when needing closed. Plus a set of meze 99 classic for mainly YouTube. But mostly I use open backs which i prefer. Which Inc sennheiser hd range times 3. Or one of my many Grado.
But if we're on about closed , you can't go wrong with the Elegia . And easy enough to get replacement cables if required. They're a very good price in the sceme off things.

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #5,345 of 6,505
Still loving the HD660S2. Best all-rounder for me. Enjoy the listening everyone :)
Had a chance to try them recently and feel the same way. I can't find anything major to nitpick about and they would do great as a one pair to do it all kind of headphone. If they ever come down to the price range of the 600 or the previous 660S, may have a hard time not picking up a pair.

Oct 24, 2023 at 8:40 AM Post #5,346 of 6,505
Yes!

HD660s2 is possibly the best mid-fi can at the moment. I cannot think of another one which has all it's features, customizability, and also looks good.

And after hearing the god tier version and also the 6 series lineup, it just strengthens it's position.

Then with the saved funds you get a half decent tube amp.

The game changer for me is the itube with 6 series.

A local head fi friend is installing a Western electric tube in it (396A) and I'm super excited to try it when I go back home.

They're getting harder to find though

Oct 24, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #5,347 of 6,505
Picked these up again. Gonna give it another try lol

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #5,350 of 6,505
I had the exact same thoughts along that line last night....:)

I've got a somewhat customized 6 series which I've been curious about. In that; I wonder where it stacks up against some of your lineup.

If you're open to it, I can let you demo them to compare.

It's up to you.

I'm pretty sure you're local as I'm not too far from the Leafs barn ATM and Tower.

PM me if interested. Second opinions are valuable to me for tuning purposes.

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5,352 of 6,505

i still love both headphones, they are different for sure. but when i listen to heavy metal i prefer the s2, it seems so much smoother and more natural with it. and drums and guitar sounds much cleaner

Oct 24, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #5,353 of 6,505
Guitars sound really nice with these. Thiccc and crunchy lol

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #5,355 of 6,505
Guitars sound really nice with these. Thiccc and crunchy lol
Agreed. There's just the right amount of e-string (and drop D of course) slam, but smooth enough to not get fatigued...for my ears, anyways. Not every headphone can do the "wall of sound" and the W.O.S. is a good test for both soundstage and complexity

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back