Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jun 1, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #4,006 of 6,514
Hey, thanks for the terminology! :)
I am not an audiophile, nor do I tend to be one; I am a hardcore music lover and will stay that forever. But I do like reading stuff (and I love hi-fi gear), and for better understanding, these terms benefit me because the only thing when listening, especially with headphones, is the bass that can shake enjoyment for me. I am focused on the whole and not the details. If the whole works for me, it's fine. And the thing with Sennheiser is that I like how they manage bass! Whatever cans I own from Sennheiser's, I liked the bass. It's always tight and right.

As the new owner of 660S2, I am really, really happy...again. They are not grandiose as HD800s or HD 820...but man...they deliver! And I like to listen pretty loud; that's the reason why in the first place, I started to pay attention to headphones (ok, another reason is that Walkman came out :)), so I can listen and enjoy and no one bothers me by complaining : )
And with all Sennheisers, the louder I listen, the better it gets :)

I have only a minor complaint; I wish they were 5 mm wider and 5 mm taller; it would be 10/10 for me. But since it's a perfect fit for my wife...then it is 12/10 for me :)

Dude...Metallica is not a trash metal band, and how could you not mention Iron Maiden in the first place or even Motorhead (not a metal band, but they could be :wink:)? I can understand in the top three Slayer and Pantera, but if you mentioned Metallica, there should be Bruce too! Just poking a bit.

Enjoy!

Cheers!
I love Maiden, up the irons! :) Unfortunately for me I learned to appreciate Maiden more in my late 20s and 30s than teens. I still had most of their albums back then, but they were what I would play if I got tired of Metallica and Slayer. But as I got older they started to rival those two and at times surpass them. I still think Live After Death is the all time greatest live album, period. If i could time travel, i'd be going to Long Beach Arena for those concerts. I don't know if it was a one night recording or for the whole weekend cut together, but man that's some insane live music. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. Long Beach Arena! Southern California! I want you! And you! And you! Iron Maiden wants ALL OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!

You got me thinking of Mount Rushmore and metal. Here's mine, what's yours? Everyone chime in, be it any genre. State your genre and your 4 choices. :)

Metal (in no order): Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Guns N Roses

Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Slayer were no brainers for me, but the 4th was pretty tough! Lots of amazing bands, but there's one album from one band that rivals all albums from my big 3, that's Appetite for Destruction. I didn't care for everything after that; I didn't hate them, but for me they didn't come close to Appetite, and it hurt because Appetite was SO good! I put Appetite up against anything from the big 3. What was hard though was there's other bands that might not have anything as singularly great as Appetite, but they have a better/larger body of work, IMO. OG Sepultura with Max fronting comes to mind. Judas Priest, Morbid Angel, Exodus, Ozzy, Megadeth, and Black Sabbath also toy with the #4 spot. But Appetite....it's so good....so so good!!!!!!!!

Jun 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #4,007 of 6,514
I have only a minor complaint; I wish they were 5 mm wider and 5 mm taller; it would be 10/10 for me. But since it's a perfect fit for my wife...then it is 12/10 for me
Happy Wife = Happy Life. Happy Spouse = Happy House :) Glad you're enjoying them!
ou got me thinking of Mount Rushmore and metal.
Side note: I co-developed a card game based on the Mount Rushmore concept coming soon. It's a great conversation starter.

I'm going Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and probably Slayer; I give extra weight to bands that have longevity and a signature sound you can identify after just a few seconds (Maiden really sticks out here). HD 25 also sound great with metal due to the slammy dynamics but it gets tempting to listen extremely loud which I don't do with 660S2.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 1, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #4,008 of 6,514
Happy Wife = Happy Life. Happy Spouse = Happy House :) Glad you're enjoying them!

Side note: I co-developed a card game based on the Mount Rushmore concept coming soon. It's a great conversation starter.

I'm going Metallica, Iron Maiden, Megadeth and probably Slayer; I give extra weight to bands that have longevity and a signature sound you can identify after just a few seconds (Maiden really sticks out here). HD 25 also sound great with metal due to the slammy dynamics but it gets tempting to listen extremely loud which I don't do with 660S2.
Is the HD25 the same as the Amperior? I had an Amperior long ago and sold it. One of my biggest regrets, I loved that thing! And I loved the Amperior for metal, that bass and midrange punch brought so much energy to the playback. Metallica and the Amperior were magic. Those crunchy meaty riffs sounded amazing on it. If the HD25 is the same as the Amperior i'm putting an order in now :)

EDIT - Killer list btw. I get it putting longevity first, i struggled with that tremendously. Megadeth was probably the one alternate that might have taken the 4th spot. I LOVE early Megadeth, but got put off by Dave's incessantly political lyrics/themes as the years rolled on. Every album is doom gloom and Armageddon because of government/politics. I just get tired by it. Same thing happened to me with System of a Down. Their first 3 albums blew me away. But by the time Mezmerize/Hypnotize came out, I was burned out. When bands get too heavy handed with politics I tend to burn out and tune out. Rage did it to me as well. I don't mind the occasional political message, but not every song on every album for years and years without letup. That's where Maiden rises above everyone, IMO. They keep things fresh. Every album stands alone and apart in it's theme and content. It keeps them fresh even after 40 years of albums.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #4,009 of 6,514
Is the HD25 the same as the Amperior?
Almost identical twins. Amperior had an aluminum shell, velour pads, and insanely hot output (even by HD 25 standards). Between the two, the sound was pretty darn close as well...to many, the Amperior had a slightly more "energetic" timbre to it, but you can't go wrong with either. HD 25 is my deserted island headphone as I also dabble in pro audio and its incredibly useful for that, too.
I just get tired by it.
Totally understood!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jun 1, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #4,010 of 6,514
You got me thinking of Mount Rushmore and metal. Here's mine, what's yours? Everyone chime in, be it any genre. State your genre and your 4 choices. :)
It's hard since I have been listening to other music ever since. But I love and always was a fan of good music, regardless of genre. But I like reading your excitement and couldn't agree more. I was a hardcore fan of some bands when I was 16-20, and one of them was Deep Purple (California Jam was the best thing for me at that time. I was one year young when Jam happened :) I loved Iron Maiden and Motorhead and definitely Guns N Roses; how couldn't I? I never actually liked Metallica a lot; yup, icons of metal, but to me, they were almost like they repeat one song all the time. But I like their ballads a lot! And after that period, in the early '90s, I became a tecno maniac and hardcore electronic music and clubbing fan, hahaha. But not just then; it started when I was a teenager with likes of Kraftwerk, Jean Michele Jarre, Tangerine Dream etc...And I was breakdancing too since I was 11-12.
BTW, Laurent Garnier just released a new fantastic album. I think metal fans could like it too :)

So my pick would be Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses and Motorhead...fourth, hm...Billy Idol, hahaha, I love that man!
It's worth mentioning that Bruce and Lemmy are two great human beings, just amazing dudes! Lemmy, we love you wherever you are! :)

Hey, did you like Beavis & Butthead in the '90s? I was a fan; I didn't like the Simpsons much, only later. Damn, instead of AC/DC Butthead should have an Iron Maiden t-shirt!

Cheers!

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #4,011 of 6,514
It's hard since I have been listening to other music ever since. But I love and always was a fan of good music, regardless of genre. But I like reading your excitement and couldn't agree more. I was a hardcore fan of some bands when I was 16-20, and one of them was Deep Purple (California Jam was the best thing for me at that time. I was one year young when Jam happened :) I loved Iron Maiden and Motorhead and definitely Guns N Roses; how couldn't I? I never actually liked Metallica a lot; yup, icons of metal, but to me, they were almost like they repeat one song all the time. But I like their ballads a lot! And after that period, in the early '90s, I became a tecno maniac and hardcore electronic music and clubbing fan, hahaha. But not just then; it started when I was a teenager with likes of Kraftwerk, Jean Michele Jarre, Tangerine Dream etc...And I was breakdancing too since I was 11-12.
BTW, Laurent Garnier just released a new fantastic album. I think metal fans could like it too :)

So my pick would be Iron Maiden, Guns N Roses and Motorhead...fourth, hm...Billy Idol, hahaha, I love that man!
It's worth mentioning that Bruce and Lemmy are two great human beings, just amazing dudes! Lemmy, we love you wherever you are! :)

Hey, did you like Beavis & Butthead in the '90s? I was a fan; I didn't like the Simpsons much, only later. Damn, instead of AC/DC Butthead should have an Iron Maiden t-shirt!

Cheers!
uhh huh huh huh yeah yeah! Beavis & Butthead were mainstays of my tv viewing in the day. I loved running up to my friends screaming "you have tp for my bunghole?". They didn't like B&B so they never got it, i just thought their annoyed looks was funny enough. I agree, should have been Iron Maiden for sure. I had both their voices down good too, including the laughs. I loved imitating them.

did you ever watch the other animated MTV shows like Daria, The Maxx, Celebrity Death Match, and most of all Aeon Flux? I was hooked on those.

I do like me some Motorhead and Deep Purple. I came to appreciate them later as an adult. Same with Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and much of the forbearers of metal. it's funny becuase I talk a lot of metal now but as an adult my playlist is as eclectic as it gets. i'll listen to just about anything that resonates, and there's no rhyme or reason to what i seem to latch onto. But metal is still my first and best love.

Jun 1, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #4,012 of 6,514
It's not in our case. We are the rare ones who don't force anything to make each other happy. I love my wife and know how much she loves me; she is my soul mate and best friend. We support each other in everything, and all my hobbies she mainly forces me to enjoy. And since she works a lot in front of the computer and can't find as much time as I do to enjoy HD 820 or 800s...my plan was, even if she is ok and happy with 560s (and other cans), to buy something not as good as 820 or 800s but nearly at least and practical. 660S2 is much more practical to wear and work with than the 820 or 800s. So basically, no, I am happy actually because I know she has good cans : )

BTW...where can I get a new pair of HD 700? Can you send me one pair? :)

Cheers!

Jun 1, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #4,013 of 6,514
As the new owner of 660S2, I am really, really happy...again. They are not grandiose as HD800s or HD 820...but man...they deliver!
Welcome...you've discovered my other hang out, well one of them anyway. : )
Glad you are enjoying the S2, I was an early adopter.....my HD820 have the night off while currenlty listening on the HD660S2. :)
https://tidal.com/album/175750927
Screenshot 2023-06-01 9.20.17 PM.png

Jun 2, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #4,015 of 6,514
Another misunderstood underling. :thumbsup:
What can I say...I really like the brand. And the HD 820 and HD 800 designs just bought me as a fan. I heard about Sennheiser long ago, but only recently when I started the journey...collecting :) I found out about what spectrum they have. And very recently, I saw HD 700, and I don't understand why they gave up on them (design). That's really a shame...I hope they will bring them back. It's the same thing with Ibasso. They have three series S1, S2 and S3. Not long ago, before Sennheisers, I bought S3. But the model I really like (the design) is S1. It's unique and reminds me of HD 800 and 820. But unfortunately, they changed it and pushed a very ordinary design. It's nice, simple...but they had a special one which they gave up on.

If I want to buy a used Sennheiser amp/DAC, which one would you recommend, HDVA 600 or HDV 820, and what price should I watch? Is HDVA 600 equally good with an external DAC?

Cheers!

Jun 2, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #4,016 of 6,514
If I want to buy a used Sennheiser amp/DAC, which one would you recommend, HDVA 600 or HDV 820,
Good question, if you do not need the DAC then the 600 and if you need a DAC then, maybe a HDVD800 or HDV820.
and what price should I watch? Is HDVA 600 equally good with an external DAC?

Cheers!
I originally went looking for a used HDVA 600 as I don't need a DAC but a very reasonable priced HDVD800, popped up.
For pricing and availability.....look at the sold for an approximation.
https://www.hifishark.com/

So far I'm happy with my unit, works great IMHO with all my Senns, especially the 300 Ohm which apparently it has been designed for, brought the HD60S2 to life.... but having said that there are a lot of Amp/Dac combos available.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #4,017 of 6,514
I originally went looking for a used HDVA 600 as I don't need a DAC but a very reasonable priced HDVD800, popped up.
Thanks! HDVD800 looks perfect. I am waiting for the reply. I found two offers for HDVD800 with solid prices. I will see if they ship to my country. I got Denon pma 1700ne (it will be delivered on Monday) for a very good price, and I have a bit of free space to wiggle...so I thought the Sennheiser amp would be nice to have.

Jun 4, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #4,018 of 6,514

660s2 + my Folkvangr with this track is sublime

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:32 AM Post #4,019 of 6,514
I ended up returning these and keeping my HD660S. While the extra sub-bass and microdetail were nice, they had a very forward presentation, tiny soundstage and a kind of sharpness to the sound that got irritating fast. I much prefer the more neutral, relaxed and spacious sound of the HD660S. The S2 is the first Sennheiser I haven't at least liked.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #4,020 of 6,514
While the extra sub-bass and microdetail were nice, they had a very forward presentation, tiny soundstage and a kind of sharpness to the sound that got irritating fast. I much prefer the more neutral, relaxed and spacious sound of the HD660S.
Obviously you heard what you heard but it appears something went wrong there. The S2 should IMHO be sounding wider and deeper with less if any sharpness compared to the 660S of which I could never call "relatively speaking" neutral and relaxed. Being 300 ohm might make a difference depending on your amplification, but still hhhmmm?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back