Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 22, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #3,946 of 6,524
It will certainly be different from your ZMF's and likely a nice change. And Super light compared to everything else I own.
Variety is good. And reasonably affordable is not a bad thing. :thumbsup:
I've used my DT1990 for a long time as my daily driver and my ZMFs are when I want to really dig in. I have been thinking the lightweight Sennheiser 6x0 series headphones might be a better daily driver without the "hindrance" of requiring EQ or special pads to offset a problem with the FR. I really do love the DT1990 since it does games and music well, but I can't get over the fact that the dekoni pads feel required or else it's too sibilant.

I'm going to order the S2 tonight and give it a shot for a bit to see what I think. I will report in with my impressions.

May 22, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #3,948 of 6,524
HD-660S2 not as sharp as LCD-5 but offers more liveliness than the Susvara does. Susvara is creamy sounding, LCD-5 is able to 'nit pick' the sound. Bass of the S2's is in between the two heavyweights. The S2 neither lacks nor is it overly thumping. Bere in mind this also depends on the quality of the music offered and its delivery to the Headphones. S2's are fairly easy to drive BUT will sound at its best when driven by a high quality Transformer in a suitably equipped Amplifier.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 6:37 PM Post #3,949 of 6,524
HD-660S2 not as sharp as LCD-5 but offers more liveliness than the Susvara does. Susvara is creamy sounding, LCD-5 is abme to 'nit pick' the sound. Bass of the S2's is in between the two heavyweights. The S2 neither lacks nor is it overly thumping. Bere in mind this also depends on the quality of the music offered and its delivery to the Headphones. S2's are fairly easy to drive BUT will sound at its best when driven by a high quality Transformer in a suitably equipped Amplifier.
what dac and amplifier are you using 660s2 with?

May 22, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #3,950 of 6,524
May 23, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #3,951 of 6,524
So I tried out the ZMF HD6xx+ Sub Pads solid lambskin on the 660S2.

Not recommended unless you want a lot more bass quantity, rumble, and slam, but at the cost of soundstage, recessed mids, and messed up tonality.

Really high quality pads but it alters the sound signature way too much. RIP $70. :confused:

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #3,952 of 6,524

Not recommended unless you want a lot more bass quantity, rumble, and slam, but at the cost of soundstage, recessed mids, and messed up tonality.

Really high quality pads but it alters the sound signature way too much. RIP $70. :confused:
Good to know. I was thinking of getting these myself considering I love ZMF pads. Kind of unfortunate, they're very comfortable.

Was this the suede or leather?

May 23, 2023 at 7:06 AM Post #3,953 of 6,524
Good to know. I was thinking of getting these myself considering I love ZMF pads. Kind of unfortunate, they're very comfortable.

Was this the suede or leather?
Solid lambskin.

I've been using solid lambskin Ori pads with my HE400i for many years. It sounds great and feels great. The quality of the pads was really good, so I figured I'd try out ZMF solid lambskin again with the 660S2. Didn't think it'd mess with the sound so much. Oh well, my $70 mistake is saving others here some money. :worried:

Might try putting it on the HD58X and see how that goes.

Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #3,954 of 6,524
Solid lambskin.

I've been using solid lambskin Ori pads with my HE400i for many years. It sounds great and feels great. The quality of the pads was really good, so I figured I'd try out ZMF solid lambskin again with the 660S2. Didn't think it'd mess with the sound so much. Oh well, my $70 mistake is saving others here some money. :worried:

Might try putting it on the HD58X and see how that goes.
I read reviews of those pads for the other 6 series and it seems like you really want to go with the vented (not solid) pads for the best sound if using open back headphones. I might still give the vented suede a shot.

Let us know how the HD58x works out! 👍

May 23, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #3,955 of 6,524
I read reviews of those pads for the other 6 series and it seems like you really want to go with the vented (not solid) pads for the best sound if using open back headphones. I might still give the vented suede a shot.

Let us know how the HD58x works out! 👍
Yeah it was my mistake not doing research first, like I usually do, before making purchases.

It was because of my experience with the solid lambskin Ori pads that prompted me to make the hasty purchase this time.

May 23, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #3,956 of 6,524

I would think solid lambskin would change the character of the S2 making them almost semi-closed, picked up some much more affordable perforated lambskin, there was a slight change but nothing major.

May 23, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #3,957 of 6,524
Last edited:
May 23, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #3,958 of 6,524
I'll try my Dekoni hybrid elite later; the inside is fenestrated.

https://dekoniaudio.com/product/elite-hybrid-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd600-headphones/

Edit: Not great, bass of over-bloated and definition lost.

These pads kinda turn the 650 into a 660s2
Wait I'm confused, did you test the dekoni hybrid elite on the 650 or the S2? Also...kinda like the thought that pads could turn a 650 into an S2 considering I can get the 6xx (essentially a 650) and put on pads to make an S2 which is triple the cost :wink:.

May 23, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #3,959 of 6,524
Wait I'm confused, did you test the dekoni hybrid elite on the 650 or the S2? Also...kinda like the thought that pads could turn a 650 into an S2 considering I can get the 6xx (essentially a 650) and put on pads to make an S2 which is triple the cost :wink:.
I tested the hybrid elite on the S2, I normally have them on the 650. The s2 can't handle them, and the bass gets too distorted.

I think I prefer the 650 with the hybrid elite pads over the stock s2 since the 650 has a little bump in the upper mids, even with factory pads.

"Below the HD660S2 compared to the older (black screen but new pads) HD650."

hd650-vs-hd660s2-2.8db-louder.png

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-660s2/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back