Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
May 6, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #3,751 of 6,505
Sennheiser veil Beyer Diffuse clarity:

HD660S.jpg

DT990WornPads.jpg

May 6, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #3,752 of 6,505
They're not hard to drive that is for sure. I may change my mind on what system I like them the most with time, that happened on the regular HD 660S as I was breaking them in. I find it takes a good 1-2 months of frequent wear to get the pads, clamp, etc. to where I like them on the HD 6xx series. I find once the pads and clamp soften I settle easier into their sound.
I expected them to be much harder to drive. I find them Super comfortable, but after several hours they felt a bit clampy. I have gone through this before and they will be great after two weeks of use.

Right off the bat they felt weak yesterday after two weeks of constant play with Focal Clear's. Starting fresh today with some jazz they sound great.
After a couple of hours I swapped over to my Violectric V220 and they sounded a little thin and a little bright with lots of jazz horns. Back to the iFi with a minimum of bass boost and they sound so much fuller. More than adequate bass for jazz.

PS: I LOVE having a wide variety of sound signatures, but it does have a downside. If I go from my Clear's or my Cascade's to my Grado's it feels like my Grado's don't have a single shred of bass. After a few hours, I adjust. But sometimes the change can be very jarring.

That will likely be the case with these too.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #3,755 of 6,505
How do they compare to the Beyer T5.3s? I was looking at getting a pair for incase I travel.
Don't have the T5 Gen 3 but heard them a while ago but need a bit of a memory refresher, though may be able to borrow it from a friend and do a comparison sometime.

Is that a beyerdynamic I see in the background? Which model is it?
That’s the T1 Gen 3

May 6, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #3,756 of 6,505
How do they compare to the Beyer T5.3s? I was looking at getting a pair for incase I travel.
The T5 Gen2's had treble to make your ears bleed. Then they went 180 degrees with the Gen3's. So much bass it almost sounded muffled. I got rid of them after about a month. They didn't work for me at all.

NO comparison with the HD660S2's. Although IMO no closed back can compete with an open back.

May 6, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #3,758 of 6,505
The T5 Gen2's had treble to make your ears bleed. Then they went 180 degrees with the Gen3's. So much bass it almost sounded muffled. I got rid of them after about a month. They didn't work for me at all.

NO comparison with the HD660S2's. Although IMO no closed back can compete with an open back.
I don’t ever recall the T5 Gen 3 having too much bass when I listened to them but I do wear glasses which likely reduced the bass some. But I only spent a couple days with them and I do have some bass-head tendencies (especially when I listen to electronic genres) so that’s definitely a factor.

A big reason I personally prefer open backs is due to wearing glasses as I find even a slight break in the seal can hurt the bass performance on many closed-backs.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #3,759 of 6,505
I don’t ever recall the T5 Gen 3 having too much bass when I listened to them but I do wear glasses which likely reduced the bass some. But I only spent a couple days with them and I do have some bass-head tendencies so that’s definitely a factor.
My thought was more muffled than bassy. I do like bass, be it Focal's, CFA Cascades, or iBasso SR2's, but the T5.3's were "foggy" for me, if that's the right word.

May 6, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #3,760 of 6,505
My thought was more muffled than bassy. I do like bass, be it Focal's, CFA Cascades, or iBasso SR2's, but the T5.3's were "foggy" for me, if that's the right word.
That's interesting, I found them very clean and clear to my ears, same with the T1.3. Maybe something to do with how our ears play with the driver, tuning, and housing/damping on the headphone. Whereas on the R70x for instance I find their midrange a bit foggy/hazy sounding at times (but it's not like that with my friend) and that's what prevents me from liking them more than the S1 for instance. I found the S1 and S2 midrange clearer and cleaner than the R70x.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #3,761 of 6,505
That's interesting, I found them very clean and clear to my ears, same with the T1.3. Maybe something to do with how our ears play with the driver and housing/damping on the headphone. Whereas on the R70x for instance I find their midrange a bit foggy/hazy sounding at times (but it's not like that with my friend) and that's what prevents me from liking them more than the S1 for instance. I found the S1 and S2 midrange clearer and cleaner than the R70x.
I remember reading that some people were taking out the foam center and that cleaned up the sound and got it back closer to the T5.2's. I just decided to move them on.

May 7, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #3,763 of 6,505
Folks here mentioned HD660s2 is not worth $600. I just saw in Amazon it is selling at $499. Wondering it is normal price drop or some fake unit?
You are not looking at the right place. If you are quick, you may still be able to pick it up for $450 from the official website.

May 7, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #3,764 of 6,505
I remember reading that some people were taking out the foam center and that cleaned up the sound and got it back closer to the T5.2's. I just decided to move them on.
Yeah people either like or dislike the changes the foam damping does to the sound. Only heard the T5.3 stock and never heard an T5.2, so not sure how I would feel about the T5.3 without the foam. The T1.3 I did take it out to experiment with how it changed the sound and it made it sound more vivid, less bassy, more mid-forward, and raw; whether you like it or not depends on taste. I preferred it with the foam personally as the T1.3 is an inherently very dynamic headphone (I recall the T5.3 had more restricted dynamics than the T1.3) and the mellowing of the sound the foam did was to my liking.

Folks here mentioned HD660s2 is not worth $600. I just saw in Amazon it is selling at $499. Wondering it is normal price drop or some fake unit?

Sennheiser had a short sale on the HD 660S2 and other headphones where it dropped to $450 on their site. The resellers are probably temporarily reducing the price due to the sale, but I think they will go back up in price in not too long.

Last edited:
May 7, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #3,765 of 6,505
Yeah people either like or dislike the changes the foam damping does to the sound. Only heard the T5.3 stock and never heard an T5.2, so not sure how I would feel about the T5.3 without the foam. The T1.3 I did take it out to experiment with how it changed the sound and it made it sound more vivid, less bassy, more mid-forward, and raw; whether you like it or not depends on taste. I preferred it with the foam personally as the T1.3 is an inherently very dynamic headphone (I recall the T5.3 had more restricted dynamics than the T1.3) and the mellowing of the sound the foam did was to my liking.

Sennheiser had a short sale on the HD 660S2 and other headphones where it dropped to $450 on their site. The resellers are probably temporarily reducing the price due to the sale, but I think they will go back up in price in not too long.

Darn it.. I missed that.. Senny site already gone. I found BestBuy is selling $499.99 too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back