Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 19, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #3,407 of 6,527
For those who have had a pleasure to listen to 600, 650 and 660S2:

Do you think it would make any sense to have 660S2 and also 600 or 650? Could they compliment each other, when listening to different kind of music to the extent that would justify buying both?

If you do think this makes sense, which one you would pick, 600 or 650, to buy in addition to the 660S2?

The reason I'm asking that I find it hard to pay 500+ for headphones, and would like to wait until the 660S2 can be found for 400-450 price.. then again 600 can be bought for €245 / 650 for €295 at the moment (also, ordering 6XX from US for total price of €250 is an option).. My fingers are itching 🤯

And yes I know, it would be cheaper to buy just 660S2 now than both, even with discounted prices 😂

I'm trying to justify buying both thinking that I like to listen to "bass needy" music like Nightwish, Rammstein etc, but also enjoy clean, pure guitar riffs and clear female vocals quite a bit.. I don't know if this makes any sense, but based from what I heard music that does not need "low end authority" might do better with 600/650 but heavy metal, RnB, techno etc could sound better with 660S2 🤔
For me personally yes its absolutely useful to have both the S2 and older models. Since the S2 is more like the 650 IMO, i think the natural complementary pair would be S2 and 600. I have moods when listening, and they're different enough to satisfy my differing moods well. There's times I want a mellow listen, i don't want top shelf dynamics and resolution, i just want to sit back and relax with some music. The 600 works wonders there. But then i'll want energy and dynamics. Bass slam. Power. That's where the S2 excels. And yes, metal and the S2 are a wonderful pairing! if the idea of having complementary sets appeals to you i see no reason to not try it out. i love variety in my gear so i keep a pretty large stable of headphones.

Apr 19, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #3,409 of 6,527
I am happy. Plenty of headroom, full and warm sound.

IMHO, no Topping or SMSL stack of comparable price comes close. At least I did not find anything, that would make me get rid of the ZEN stack (within my budget constrains).

Needless to say, I am a big Burr Brown fan :)

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #3,410 of 6,527
For me personally yes its absolutely useful to have both the S2 and older models. Since the S2 is more like the 650 IMO, i think the natural complementary pair would be S2 and 600. I have moods when listening, and they're different enough to satisfy my differing moods well. There's times I want a mellow listen, i don't want top shelf dynamics and resolution, i just want to sit back and relax with some music. The 600 works wonders there. But then i'll want energy and dynamics. Bass slam. Power. That's where the S2 excels. And yes, metal and the S2 are a wonderful pairing! if the idea of having complementary sets appeals to you i see no reason to not try it out. i love variety in my gear so i keep a pretty large stable of headphones.

So to ask the obvious question: why another Sennheiser? Or even more specifically, why another Sennheiser 6X0?

I mean if you want a different voice and different energy, why not grab something with a different voice and energy?

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #3,411 of 6,527
So to ask the obvious question: why another Sennheiser? Or even more specifically, why another Sennheiser 6X0?

I mean if you want a different voice and different energy, why not grab something with a different voice and energy
Yeah I kind of agree with this. I kind of think the best trio of headphones (at least from all I've tried so far) might be something like:
1. NDH30 for brutal honesty
2. HD650 for yummy, gooey goodness
3. HE6se V2 for that planar, deep, flat bass extension, great imaging/layering/separation
(in no particular order)

Of course this might also mean you need 2 or 3 different amps to bring out the best of these cans, but I think with these headphones you're covering a TON of ground. They're all very good price-to-performance contenders

Apr 19, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3,412 of 6,527
Yeah I kind of agree with this. I kind of think the best trio of headphones (at least from all I've tried so far) might be something like:
1. NDH30 for brutal honesty
2. HD650 for yummy, gooey goodness
3. HE6se V2 for that planar, deep, flat bass extension, great imaging/layering/separation
(in no particular order)

Of course this might also mean you need 2 or 3 different amps to bring out the best of these cans, but I think with these headphones you're covering a TON of ground. They're all very good price-to-performance contenders
Interesting that the 650 rather than the 660S2 was your choice. Is it because the NDH-30 took the spot the 660S2 was most suited to?

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #3,413 of 6,527
Interesting that the 650 rather than the 660S2 was your choice. Is it because the NDH-30 took the spot the 660S2 was most suited to?
Yeah, pretty much this. I find the 660S2 to sit somewhere in the middle. It's not quite as vibey as the 650, and definitely not as crisp and detailed as the NDH30. I figure having the NDH30 and the 650 gives you more surface area, and better options to suit your mood. At least that's how I see it.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #3,414 of 6,527
Apr 19, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #3,415 of 6,527

I mean if you want a different voice and different energy, why not grab something with a different voice and energy?
Mostly it's just part of my hoarding mentality haha. But I do gravitate towards dynamic driver headphones in general, especially with high impedance, as I love tube amps. So the bulk of my lineup consists of ZMFs and Sennheisers. I do have a few planars, and a Focal, but they don't get nearly the attention my high ohm dynamics do. And yes the S2 is pretty similar sounding to the other 6 series, but still different enough for me to like having both around. And also in the end some headphones just resonate with me, and draw me to them, where others do not. Sometimes it's just that intangible reaction that makes me keep or sell items. I thought for sure i'd only have one 6 series, and sell the others, but as i keep adding, i can't bring myself to sell. Yeah they all sound similar, but at the same time they all have a distinct personality i just love. so long answer short... i'm just nuts :)

EDIT - One evening I pulled out all my Sennheisers for a comparo, shortly after getting the S2. I thought ok I'll likely prefer one specific model, and then i'll know what to sell and what is staying. A few absolutely lights out hours later, i realized i had just had so much fun listening to each and every one of them that i put all thoughts of selling to bed at least for the foreseeable future. I pulled in a few of my other sets as well but honestly i lost interest really quick in them and wanted to return to my 6 series shoot out.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #3,417 of 6,527
Here's a question for many that I've been curious about and may have an influence of the choice of headphone, its appreciation, sources etc.

Where do you do most of your "headphone" listening and when?

As a disclosure I'm only on the forums while sitting in my shop or in the kitchen and my headphones very rarely if ever come close to a computer or work station.

All my listening on headphones is usually in the evening while either reclining on the living room sofa (stereo is at the front with the CD, Streamer and turntable and I just run balanced cables to back for my headphone amp).

front...

.....or in the bedroom where I also have a second headphone station for music listening and or while reading.... and for when watching movies on the OLED TV.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #3,418 of 6,527
I work from home, so I spend basically all day, every weekday at my desk. It doubles as my listening station. It's probably unhealthy how much time I spend here, but at least I've got my canz to enjoy while I'm at it...
B15059B7-A1E9-46E3-B89B-EB33059CCB71_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #3,419 of 6,527
I work from home, so I spend basically all day, every weekday at my desk. It doubles as my listening station. It's probably unhealthy how much time I spend here, but at least I've got my canz to enjoy while I'm at it...
B15059B7-A1E9-46E3-B89B-EB33059CCB71_1_105_c.jpeg
Gorgeous space. I think I could handle the time there.

Apr 20, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #3,420 of 6,527

Users who are viewing this thread

Back