Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #661 of 6,546
Very intrigued to see how these fair against the 600/650, it's all about the mids for me, and I imagine I'm not alone, the 660s2 could be miles ahead technically, but most importantly it has to equal, or better the mids of the 600/650 to beat to be a chicken dinner, no other headphone I've ever listened to at any price range has bested the 600/650 for it's midrange, not even the likes of the LCD-5 which I auditioned when I bought my HD800S, the 650s midrange is so emotionally engaging, you actually feel a cello in your chest, the timbre is almost perfect.
Recently I’ve been looking to upgrade my HD600s and was looking at different ZMFs and the MM-500 right before the 660S2 was announced. An HD600 with no changes besides proper bass extension is all I could possibly want in a headphone. I love the intimacy and vocal forwardness of the 600 and am not very interested in the stronger technicalities or changes to staging that cans lauded as “super HD6x0s” bring to the table. It’s hard for me to justify the $1500+ price of a headphone when there’s a lot of aspects of from the $300 one that I might enjoy more. The asking price of the 660S2 is easier for me to stomach if it manages to achieve what some of the early reviewers are claiming it’s able to do. Really hoping the 660S2 will be a hit and save me from having to jump to a much higher price tier to try and get what I’m looking for.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:20 PM Post #662 of 6,546
Recently I’ve been looking to upgrade my HD600s and was looking at different ZMFs and the MM-500 right before the 660S2 was announced. An HD600 with nothing changed except proper bass extension is all I could possibly want in a headphone. I love the intimacy and vocal forwardness of the 600 and am not very interested in the stronger technicalities or changes to staging that cans lauded as “super HD6x0s” bring to the table. Me and my wallet are rooting for the 660S2!
Thank you! You'll be happy to know the 600 series DNA is still strong as ever in the 660S2

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 8, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #663 of 6,546
Very intrigued to see how these fair against the 600/650, it's all about the mids for me, and I imagine I'm not alone, the 660s2 could be miles ahead technically, but most importantly it has to equal, or better the mids of the 600/650 to beat to be a chicken dinner, no other headphone I've ever listened to at any price range has bested the 600/650 for it's midrange, not even the likes of the LCD-5 which I auditioned when I bought my HD800S, the 650s midrange is so emotionally engaging, you actually feel a cello in your chest, the timbre is almost perfect.

Still reigning as the kings of timbre, seems like technicality is the only focus for TOTL headphones now.

Feb 9, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #664 of 6,546
Sometimes I hope my hd6xx to be less mids focus but not to the extend of the hd800s (that sounds like singers are being strangled). Seems like the hd660s2 is right in the middle of those 2 headphones, it is very interesting.

Feb 9, 2023 at 9:23 AM Post #669 of 6,546
Feb 9, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #670 of 6,546
No, I just tend to wear them all day everyday, especially in the last several years.
This explains a lot :)

Foam does tend to degrade especially if introduced to skin oils and heat. My usage with them have strictly been during weekends and weekday nights.
I keep a rotation of headphones. Every season I would handwash one set of pads using detergent. After that I attach double sided duct tape on the plastic mounting side of the earpads to a set of computer case fans and let them spin over an air duct vent in the house and they'll be dry the next morning and good to go for another 3 months.

If they're not dry I just use another pair of headphones in the meantime. In my case it was a rotation between the HD660S, HD600.

Feb 9, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #672 of 6,546
You, sir, are making this preorder very difficult to ignore! :beyersmile:
How long do these reminders usually take to come after logging in and creating a cart?

Cheers,
Heads up for the Canadian contingent...now $679.95 direct from Sennheiser...and with that friendly reminder :wink::wink: ..brings them below the original Amazon price. : )

Feb 9, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #675 of 6,546
what it really needs is a wider soundstage

I doubt that's how Sennheiser sees it. The 6 series have always been narrow and while people may complain about it, they (we) keep buying them. It's part of the formula for that product range. Also, widening it will likely cause adverse side-effects like ruining the awesome midrange (the calling card of the 6 series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back