Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 20, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #1,276 of 6,844
Thank you very much.
The general consensus was that many reviewers and users didn't like the 660S because they were expecting an HD650 and didn't meet their expectations.
So naturally now, they are bashing it in favor of the 660S2...
I have reviewed the NDH-30 and I think that is one of the best sounding and balanced headphones under $1K but I don't think that it's tuning will appeal to HD6.. fans.
I disagree with everything above re NDH-30. See my edits.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,278 of 6,844
I agree but I think that the general consensus is that most will not like it.
Different mid-range.
Go ahead, please tell me how their mid range performance is different (don’t quote me measurements as mid range performance is influenced by other parts of the FR curve).

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #1,279 of 6,844
My impression is that the 6 series is basically more mid-centric and warmer in the mids than the NDH 30 which is more tonally even from bottom to top. There’s no sense of being drawn to any particular aspect of the sound with the NDH 30. It’s a fantastically detailed presentation with a correct soundstage, and wonderfully extended bass and genuine sub bass, that is never too analytical and always musically engaging.

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #1,280 of 6,844
My impression is that the 6 series is basically more mid-centric and warmer in the mids than the NDH 30 which is more tonally even from bottom to top. There’s no sense of being drawn to any particular aspect of the sound with the NDH 30. It’s a fantastically detailed presentation with a correct soundstage, and wonderfully extended bass and genuine sub bass, that is never too analytical and always musically engaging.
Thanks. The 660S2 sounds less appealing for me (at the current price point) than the NDH30 as I have the 660S, 6XX, 600, 58XX.

The complaint I’ve heard for the NDH30 is that the treble is subdued and perhaps exactly why DMS is not a fan. Although, I personally like less treble and one reason, of a few, I’m not interested in the Meze 109 Pro.

What particularly concerns me is that Z is the only prominent reviewer I see for these cans! Not good a good sign in my opinion.

I mean, the guys funny but he also exaggerates like there’s no tomorrow.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 10:52 AM Post #1,281 of 6,844
Jude hath spoken! In the NYC CanJam preview video he says the HD660S2 is his fave iteration of the 6 series so far. FWIW. Just nice to see another impression from respected ears.

I'm still really enjoying the HD660S2. And surprisingly perhaps, I chose to order an HD800S at the same time. (I have the HD800, but thought I'd get the HD800S too). Both are great. The latter I use more for Classical/acoustic, and the 660S2 has been very satisfying with Rock/everything else. But the 660S2 can for sure hold its own with Classical/acoustic too (I appreciate the review by Ichos).

Feb 20, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #1,282 of 6,844
Go ahead, please tell me how their mid range performance is different (don’t quote me measurements as mid range performance is influenced by other parts of the FR curve).

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #1,283 of 6,844
Thanks. The 660S2 sounds less appealing for me (at the current price point) than the NDH30 as I have the 660S, 6XX, 600, 58XX.

The complaint I’ve heard for the NDH30 is that the treble is subdued and perhaps exactly why DMS is not a fan. Although, I personally like less treble and one reason, of a few, I’m not interested in the Meze 109 Pro.

What particularly concerns me is that Z is the only prominent reviewer I see for these cans! Not good a good sign in my opinion.

I mean, the guys funny but he also exaggerates like there’s no tomorrow.
I wouldn’t worry about the lack of reviewers. That’s easily accounted for by the fact that the NDH 30 is not intended as a consumer product.

I used to dislike Z’s reviews, and still largely do, but I have to say that I agree with his findings more often than not, and the good thing is that he speaks his mind and is not afraid of offending anybody or going against popular opinion.

There are some pro reviews out there if you look for them. Check out the NDH 30 thread. I feel like I’ve probably talked about it too much on this thread already! 😉

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #1,284 of 6,844
Thank you very much.
The general consensus was that many reviewers and users didn't like the 660S because they were expecting an HD650 and didn't meet their expectations.
So naturally now, they are bashing it in favor of the 660S2...
I have reviewed the NDH-30 and I think that is one of the best sounding and balanced headphones under $1K but I don't think that it's tuning will appeal to HD6.. fans.
Maybe I am biased by how much I like both NDH 30 and HD-650 but my impression here is that almost everyone who listens to the NDH 30 likes it a lot, especially those who like the HD-6## series. Sennheiser fans have been asking for long for a model with the virtues of this series (neutrality, balance, vocals/midrange quality, comfort), but with better bass quality and extension, along with more detail/resolution. In other words an HD-600 with sub-bass, precise soundstage and top resolution across the spectrum, or an HD-800S with better balance/neutrality (describing the same thing). Maybe it has been offered to us indirectly by Sennheiser (pro) as the NDH 30 or maybe the HD-660S2 will prove to be close to that ideal. Time will tell...

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #1,286 of 6,844
@Ichos I asked for your comparison given you said you have completed your review of NDH-30 (I am not asking you to publish the entire review as that could be subject to the approval of your publisher; I am only asking about the midrange performance from complete written review).

Also, please tell me the gear you used with HD600/650 because that will tell me if you are hearing subpar performance from 600/650. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #1,287 of 6,844
Maybe I am biased by how much I like both NDH 30 and HD-650 but my impression here is that almost everyone who listens to the NDH 30 likes it a lot, especially those who like the HD-6## series. Sennheiser fans have been asking for long for a model with the virtues of this series (neutrality, balance, vocals/midrange quality, comfort), but with better bass quality and extension, along with more detail/resolution. In other words an HD-600 with sub-bass, precise soundstage and top resolution across the spectrum, or an HD-800S with better balance/neutrality (describing the same thing). Maybe it has been offered to us indirectly by Sennheiser (pro) as the NDH 30 or maybe the HD-660S2 will prove to be close to that ideal. Time will tell...
NDH-30 is a competitor to Clear (OG), as they are trading blows so far on my rig. I think once I get the aftermarket XLR cable for NDH-30 that will no longer be the case.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #1,288 of 6,844
Has Jude ever NOT liked a new headphone from a major manufacturer? Just sayin………
Jude is amazing - he loves everyone and everything, but most of all he loves Headfi.

Feb 20, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #1,289 of 6,844
I see what you mean thanks for the reply. In terms of timbre indeed you could nudge one toward the other but probably easier to make the 660S2 sound like the 660S. Between the voice coil and air flow optimizations (nevermind the tuning, which is a whole other discussion) this S2 is better for us in almost every way. Those who liked the lower impedance of the 660S may miss it, but the performance gains in terms of dynamic punch and treble clarity are almost impossible to ignore when you A/B. Time will tell but I hope you get to listen to experience it for yourself. 💪💪
May I ask if the higher impedance improves the sound quality that much why Sennheiser chose to imply 150ohm on the og hd660? Tks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back