Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #1,231 of 6,844
a headphone forum called sbaf is strangely silent about the S2. People on that forum love Sennheiser headphones so it is a little weird..
Maybe they prefer actual listening over mere speculation?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #1,233 of 6,844
Honestly, the 4BSST never really got that warm. : )
No, I was only joking of course, but my 4B's, used as mono blocks, got pretty warm driving the Roksan Darius loudspeakers!
DDFFCFBF-3D1C-42E6-9CB9-CC78FBCBD8AD.jpeg

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,234 of 6,844
I feel like with the HD 660S2, your brain does not have to stretch too much when jumping from the 600, 650, 6XX.

With the HD 560S, I've found one really need to give your brain a few whole songs when jumping from anything in the 600 family. It's just too different of an experience to get lost in within thise first 45 seconds. The identity of this [HD 560S] headphone's use and fanbase is starting to settle in after a few years now.
I totally agree with this. I found the 560s to be the biggest departure among all of the Sennheiser headphones I've heard. I still remember the first time I listened to it after finally getting my pre-order, it was just totally different than the 58x and 6xx I had been listening to heavily at that time, and the 599 I had owned recently.

It was certainly a "woah" moment, but definitely a good one. I was pleasantly surprised by how neutral, wide, and dare I say even bright they felt. After a few days the brightness sort of faded, and since then I've always just heard them as dead neutral. I freaking love them. I think they're the best deal in headphones.

All that is to say, initial impressions should always be taken at surface level and not delved into too deeply. My personal impressions on several headphones have totally changed from my first impressions of them. For example, I thought the Sundara was terrible at first listen, but it's now a part of my collection. I also borrowed a friend's focal clear recently and thought "this is it? Meh" at first, but after a few days I started to appreciate their insane dynamics and such.

Gotta give it time!

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #1,235 of 6,844
I hope they offer something special sonically to me too. Hope it isn't too noisy there so you can get a decent feel of their sound.
I understand last year's Canjam to have been relatively small, but it was still rather noisy. Certain times of day was better (early/late Sunday), particularly in one of the side rooms.

And I too like spend at least a few weeks with stuff. Feel like I often notice new things even weeks into using something new.

Feb 19, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #1,236 of 6,844
I feel like with the HD 660S2, your brain does not have to stretch too much when jumping from the 600, 650, 6XX.

With the HD 560S, I've found one really need to give your brain a few whole songs when jumping from anything in the 600 family. It's just too different of an experience to get lost in within thise first 45 seconds. The identity of this [HD 560S] headphone's use and fanbase is starting to settle in after a few years now.
I have found with all my Sennheisers that it takes 5-10 minutes for your ears/brain to adjust. At first the treble seems rolled off but it gradually emerges and presents itself for what it really is.

By contrast, if I hear “great treble” instantly, that headphone is likely going to be very bright in the long term.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #1,237 of 6,844
I have found with all my Sennheisers that it takes 5-10 minutes for your ears/brain to adjust. At first the treble seems rolled off but it gradually emerges and presents itself for what it really is.

By contrast, if I hear “great treble” instantly, that headphone is likely going to be very bright in the long term.
Never had a problem with the treble on the HD 6xx series, found in long-term listening it's a true boon. Also when I first tried the HD 6xx series early in my audiophile journey, I didn't appreciate them as much as I do now. There are very few headphones with more prominent treble that I can handle long term.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #1,238 of 6,844
Lehmann and Sennheiser cooperated for product demonstrations. However, Mr. Norbert Lehmann himself describes how he doesn't want his electronics to have any sonic signature. He believes in absolute fidelity to the source and neutrality.

Problem with Lehmann is their amp was overpriced back in the days and is overpriced today. It’s a simple opamp voltage gain and a simple class A push/pull bipolar output stage. I know they used to solder their opamp 🤦‍♂️not sure if they are still doing that.

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #1,240 of 6,844
The headphones.com headphone gods have spoken! I’ll pick these up when they’re $300–I already have the 6XX and 600. Looks like Senn has to compete with their past success, interesting position to be in and surprised they set the preorder price so high with such an informed and experienced fan base.

Axel Grell set a high bar, makes me a bit worried that Sennheiser can't raise it without him now.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #1,241 of 6,844
Axel Grell set a high bar, makes me a bit worried that Sennheiser can't raise it without him now.
Why he's on grell audio now then, what happened behind the scene ?! And it seemed i research that he didnot invent any breakthrough product yet, last time i search he only made wireless iem only.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:42 PM Post #1,242 of 6,844
Why he's on grell audio now then, what happened behind the scene ?! And it seemed i research that he didnot invent any breakthrough product yet, last time i search he only made wireless iem only.

Well, besides that Grell was involved in the development of the Neumann NDH 30. He was also working on a more mainstream product (wireless headphones) aimed at "metalheads" under the brand HEAVY too.

Screen_Shot_2023-01-20_at_4.23.15_PM.png

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #1,243 of 6,844
It's time to move on. See ya Sennheiser (Sonova), and hello the other Sennheiser.

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #1,244 of 6,844
Problem with Lehmann is their amp was overpriced back in the days and is overpriced today. It’s a simple opamp voltage gain and a simple class A push/pull bipolar output stage. I know they used to solder their opamp 🤦‍♂️not sure if they are still doing that.
I am almost sure that no ic opamps are used, only discrete components. I"ll have to check. Judging from the following picture (Linear D II), no opamps in sight on the amplifier part. There could be some on the dac part, however.
'Overpriced", yes can come in mind, but these are far from mass produced and are assembled in Europe (expensive labour).
1676878163114.png

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #1,245 of 6,844
I bet they did! They are a near flat 2 ohm load. Unique speakers with some really special characteristics, but a b*tch to drive.
Exactly! Impressed that someone here knows about them. Yes, I had both 4B's clipping (lights turning red) numerous times when I had them years ago (when I used to listen at higher volumes from time to time). It was a good and enjoyable way of heating the appartment! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back