Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #1,217 of 6,844
I agree. DMS def does even not fully understand the limitations of the 560S.
Main problem with the HD 560 S is the treble quality and the lack of body. What I want to know is a lot more of the subtleties of the HD 660S2 that I have to listen to truly get a feel of. The HD 660 S original had it's advantages over the HD 600/650 and I noticed it had better composure with certain things. The HD 660 S was probably the first foray into what I call the modern Sennheiser sound. To me the HD 600 and HD 660 S were tied from a sonic standpoint but I like them for different reasons. The HD 600 has more of that vintage Sennheiser sound to it that I felt deviated a bit with the HD 650 (mids/vocals come across quite different to me between the HD 600 and HD 650). With the HD 660 S the transients were probably one of the most notable differences and I enjoyed the difference it brought to the table. And I gather the HD 660 S2 will handle transients in a similar way, just not sure how much it's subtleties will vary from the HD 660 S.

Seems this is starting to turn into a bandwagon of lukewarm feelings about the headphone now when they were complaining about the positivity it was receiving earlier. Interesting to see the psychology in play when some more famous reviewers give their impressions. Just going to wait till I hear them myself.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #1,219 of 6,844
Main problem with the HD 560 S is the treble quality and the lack of body. What I want to know is a lot more of the subtleties of the HD 660S2 that I have to listen to truly get a feel of. The HD 660 S original had it's advantages over the HD 600/650 and I noticed it had better composure with certain things. The HD 660 S was probably the first foray into what I call the modern Sennheiser sound. To me the HD 600 and HD 660 S were tied from a sonic standpoint but I like them for different reasons. The HD 600 has more of that vintage Sennheiser sound to it that I felt deviated a bit with the HD 650 (mids/vocals come across quite different to me between the HD 600 and HD 650). With the HD 660 S the transients were probably one of the most notable differences and I enjoyed the difference it brought to the table. And I gather the HD 660 S2 will handle transients in a similar way, just not sure how much it's subtleties will vary from the HD 660 S.

Seems this is starting to turn into a bandwagon of lukewarm feelings about the headphone now when they were complaining about the positivity it was receiving earlier. Interesting to see the psychology in play when some more famous reviewers give their impressions. Just going to wait till I hear them myself.

I will try the 660S2 for myself at CanJam next weekend. I hope to hear enough there under those conditions to make me want to purchase them, but it may not happen. We will see. I just want some magic to connect to, like is there w the 650/600

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #1,220 of 6,844
And I spy the .5B Bryston pre (loved that amp) underneath a very juicy looking Teac CD player (not sure which model). Classic stuff.
That was the venerable TEAC VDS-20, later replaced by a Bryston BCD-1....and only either CD or vinyl at the time .......streaming and Digital eq were still a figment of someone's imagination. lol

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #1,221 of 6,844
I feel guilty when I have similarly sounding headphones, but to have more than one pair of the same model. Why (unless in different locations) ?

Its a bit like ordering steak for lunch and then another for desert. And, in the case of some, a third as take-away :D
In my case I needed a fresh HD 650 as a reference point. Many comparisons on the net are made relatively to that but my unit was from 2003 with black inner screen (silk? paper?) which was said to be somewhat different from the modern units with the metallic silver colored screen. I could never know how different they were judging from what I read. Now I know, there is almost no difference just a very small, insignificant deviation in frequency response. I listened very carefully and I measured them with my own miniDSP EARS measuring jig, of course with the exactly same earpads. Now I can sell any of the two but I will not. My daughter can use one in a few years. They are light and indestructible, good for a teenager!

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #1,223 of 6,844
I will try the 660S2 for myself at CanJam next weekend. I hope to hear enough there under those conditions to make me want to purchase them, but it may not happen. We will see. I just want some magic to connect to, like is there w the 650/600
Come on by the @Sennheiser booth and say hello to me and an HD 660S2 demo 👋

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #1,224 of 6,844
I hope they offer something special sonically to me too. Hope it isn't too noisy there so you can get a decent feel of their sound.

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #1,225 of 6,844
That LehmannAudio Linear SE is a great match to Sennheiser HD600/650/6XX !! (Plus, I believe that LehmannAudio used Sennheiser headphones in ‘voicing’ the Linear series [SE, D, USB…])
Lehmann and Sennheiser cooperated for product demonstrations. However, Mr. Norbert Lehmann himself describes how he doesn't want his electronics to have any sonic signature. He believes in absolute fidelity to the source and neutrality.

Feb 19, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #1,227 of 6,844

I feel like with the HD 660S2, your brain does not have to stretch too much when jumping from the 600, 650, 6XX.

With the HD 560S, I've found one really need to give your brain a few whole songs when jumping from anything in the 600 family. It's just too different of an experience to get lost in within thise first 45 seconds. The identity of this [HD 560S] headphone's use and fanbase is starting to settle in after a few years now.

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 19, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #1,228 of 6,844
I feel like with the HD 660S2, your brain does not have to stretch too much when jumping from the 600, 650, 6XX.

With the HD 560S, I've found one really need to give your brain a few whole songs when jumping from anything in the 600 family. It's just too different of an experience to get lost in within thise first 45 seconds. The identity of this headphone's use and fanbase is starting to settle in after a few years now.
That is true. I regularly jump between some very different sounding headphones. Generally have to give myself like 10-30 minutes to settle into the sound. I also tend to give any new headphone I get basically a week or two of exclusive listening to truly get a grasp of it's sound. Yeah but wouldn't be surprised the HD 660S2 takes a bit of time to truly find it's fanbase and niche once people truly get a handle on it's differences from the other HD 6xx headphones, as I remember it did take the original HD 660 S a bit.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:21 PM Post #1,230 of 6,844
I also tend to give any new headphone I get basically a week or two of exclusive listening to truly get a grasp of it's sound
On this I so heartily agree, preferably even on their own. I'm constantly throwing around psychoacoustics, but more than any another of our senses, hearing can be easily fooled and manipulated by the power of suggestion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back