Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 18, 2023 at 1:26 PM Post #1,126 of 6,736
If anybody does a cable shootout for the HD660S2, please share.
Not a shoot-out: but if (when?) I have a HD-660S2, I will use either Custom Cans UK, Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid, or Norne Audio Vygarde headphone cable - used already in rotation with HD-600 and HD-6XX.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,127 of 6,736
It actually doesn’t matter. With the right system you can throw pretty much any song at it and it will sound great: audiophile recording, 80/90s pop, anime sound track, modern kpop, EDM, whatever your heart desires. IMO if a system sounds good with only “well recorded” albums or certain genre of music, then it’s not the kind of system that’s right for me.
So the recording can never be a bottleneck only the DAC and amp. I see the logic

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,128 of 6,736
It’s heavier, but the ear pads are exceptionally comfortable. There’s also no clamping force issues - not for me anyway.
Are they adjustable in the headband as we know the Senns are a bit hard to adjust clamp force, etc?
Also, are the cables for Neumann interchangeable with Sennheiser?

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,129 of 6,736
So the recording can never be a bottleneck only the DAC and amp. I see the logic
There are always outliers and exceptions.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,130 of 6,736
So, after several hours with my new 660S2, i can say that this thing is not a „Pleaser“, nothing is shouting in your eyes or your ears „Love me“ when you first unpack and use this Headphone. After a few listens with Roon i wasn’t that impressed. Sound was ok-ish but not outstanding at first, but then the 660S2 slowly grows on me…

This HD660S2 is like a grown-up Lady who knows what she is able to, no need to yell in your face, no need to bling bling at you. If you have the power to feed her 300Ohm Drivers then she begins to dance with you. It’s now about 8Hours since the postman delivered this small package (Sorry, Sennheiser, i must cancel my direct order because your Distributor was able to deliver today, not by the middle of next week…). So 8 Hours with the 660S2, what’s my take?

The Package is OK, small, no waste, no bulky boxes that no one need, not exactly noble understatement but kind of. Look elsewhere for bling-bling. Two 1,8m cables, 1 Adapter and a little bag plus the paperwork. that’s it.

Alone „8 Hours with this Headphone on my head“ is a statement (try this with an heavyweight Focal clear…). So the 660S2 has kept what’s good with the 600 series, it’s not heavy, not unconvenient, not builky, not cheap looking, trys to hide away on your head with it’s dark look and it’s IMHO one of the most convenient Headphones overall, only the HD700 is even nicer on my head.

Used it with a Mac mini M2 Pro and a trusty old Creative X7 24/192 DAC, and also direct on the Headphone Output of the M2 Mac mini. Yes, all new macs with Apple Silicon and a Headphone Output can drive the 300Ohm HD660S2 with ease. But the 7 or 8 years old X7 with it’s Headphone Amp not so, i needed to switch the X7 from 300 Ohm Headphone-Output to 600 Ohm to have enough Power to make the HD660S2 really loud enough for my old ears. I used it with Roon, QOBUZ, AppleMusic. Also the Headphone Output of a DENON PMA-1700NE connected with it’s internal DAC (up to 24/384/DSD256) to my RoonCore was used. Tomorrow i will integrate HQPlayer (upsamplingt to DSD256) in the audio-chain.

But why the Hell has nobody told us that the HD660S2 is one of the best Headphones for Dolby Atmos Music (AppleMusic)? The 660S2 works really great with Atmos, forget Apple AirPod Max or AirPod Pro Series 2, they all are muddy against the much more clear and engaging HD660S2! With the 660S2 there is no excuse not to dive into the growing Atmos Music Library of AppleMusic (or AmazonMusic or TIDAL).

So, how do they sound you asked? The last twelve month i used several headphones, a FOCAL Clear, a old 660S, a B&W PX8, Apple Airpods Max and Pro2, Sennheiser IE300. IMHO the 660S2 (with a bit tuning) comes close to the FOCAL Clear. Dolby Atmos is much better on the 660S2 then the clear. I will need more hours with the 660S2, but as far as i can tell now, it might be a Keeper. All said in the reviews in comparison with the Original 660S rings true to me, the 660S2 is more modern tuned, build for the music of this times without losing its heritage. Can’t compare to the 600/650.
Can you please compare it with Focal Clear ? I am waiting long time for a Focal Clear vs HD660S2 comparsion since i have the clear and i do not know if i need this .

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #1,131 of 6,736
So, after several hours with my new 660S2, i can say that this thing is not a „Pleaser“, nothing is shouting in your eyes or your ears „Love me“ when you first unpack and use this Headphone. After a few listens with Roon i wasn’t that impressed. Sound was ok-ish but not outstanding at first, but then the 660S2 slowly grows on me…

This HD660S2 is like a grown-up Lady who knows what she is able to, no need to yell in your face, no need to bling bling at you. If you have the power to feed her 300Ohm Drivers then she begins to dance with you. It’s now about 8Hours since the postman delivered this small package (Sorry, Sennheiser, i must cancel my direct order because your Distributor was able to deliver today, not by the middle of next week…). So 8 Hours with the 660S2, what’s my take?

The Package is OK, small, no waste, no bulky boxes that no one need, not exactly noble understatement but kind of. Look elsewhere for bling-bling. Two 1,8m cables, 1 Adapter and a little bag plus the paperwork. that’s it.

Alone „8 Hours with this Headphone on my head“ is a statement (try this with an heavyweight Focal clear…). So the 660S2 has kept what’s good with the 600 series, it’s not heavy, not unconvenient, not builky, not cheap looking, trys to hide away on your head with it’s dark look and it’s IMHO one of the most convenient Headphones overall, only the HD700 is even nicer on my head.

Used it with a Mac mini M2 Pro and a trusty old Creative X7 24/192 DAC, and also direct on the Headphone Output of the M2 Mac mini. Yes, all new macs with Apple Silicon and a Headphone Output can drive the 300Ohm HD660S2 with ease. But the 7 or 8 years old X7 with it’s Headphone Amp not so, i needed to switch the X7 from 300 Ohm Headphone-Output to 600 Ohm to have enough Power to make the HD660S2 really loud enough for my old ears. I used it with Roon, QOBUZ, AppleMusic. Also the Headphone Output of a DENON PMA-1700NE connected with it’s internal DAC (up to 24/384/DSD256) to my RoonCore was used. Tomorrow i will integrate HQPlayer (upsamplingt to DSD256) in the audio-chain.

But why the Hell has nobody told us that the HD660S2 is one of the best Headphones for Dolby Atmos Music (AppleMusic)? The 660S2 works really great with Atmos, forget Apple AirPod Max or AirPod Pro Series 2, they all are muddy against the much more clear and engaging HD660S2! With the 660S2 there is no excuse not to dive into the growing Atmos Music Library of AppleMusic (or AmazonMusic or TIDAL).

So, how do they sound you asked? The last twelve month i used several headphones, a FOCAL Clear, a old 660S, a B&W PX8, Apple Airpods Max and Pro2, Sennheiser IE300. IMHO the 660S2 (with a bit tuning) comes close to the FOCAL Clear. Dolby Atmos is much better on the 660S2 then the clear. I will need more hours with the 660S2, but as far as i can tell now, it might be a Keeper. All said in the reviews in comparison with the Original 660S rings true to me, the 660S2 is more modern tuned, build for the music of this times without losing its heritage. Can’t compare to the 600/650.
Where everyone is new to these is ”burn-in” a possible factor that the 660S2 will get better after more use?
I would like to hear your impressions after you have had them awhile.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,132 of 6,736
There are always outliers and exceptions.
For me the most important part of the chain is the recording. Among many reasons why, one is because that is what is the hardest to influence no matter how much money you got. I know plenty of absolutely amazing older songs with bad recordings and it’s such a big shame because I am like forced not to listen to them due to their abrasive low quality recording

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,133 of 6,736
For me the most important part of the chain is the recording. Among many reasons why, one is because that is what is the hardest to influence no matter how much money you got. I know plenty of absolutely amazing songs old songs with bad recordings and it’s such a big shame because I am like forced not to listen to them due to their abrasive low quality recording
You need a better system.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #1,135 of 6,736
How is the comfort on Neumann NDH-30 vs Sennheiser 6 series?

It’s heavier, but the ear pads are exceptionally comfortable. There’s also no clamping force issues - not for me anyway.
I concur with Mike, as with their predecessor, my HD630VB but with pleather pads (mine now have real 3rd party leather pads) they are very comfortable considering their size and weight, and are actually preferable over the HD6XX series, just don't expect to fall asleep or play vigorous air guitar. : )
I've also auditioned the Neumann NDH 20 & 30, same comfort but very different sound.
IMG_5962.jpg
The NDH-30 are on my short list but hoping the little extra bass on the 660S2 eliminates that itch.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #1,136 of 6,736
Amazon has a 20% discount on NDH30 so I picked it up. Fingers crossed.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #1,138 of 6,736

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back