Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Jul 12, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #4,217 of 6,561
Same here. I returned my Meze within 30 days and got hit with freight and restocking fees. Treble just too sharp, and less details than S2.. and bass too boomy for my liking.
Was that 109 Pro?

Jul 12, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #4,218 of 6,561
i wish the mezes where more on a laid back level like the s2s

glad i am not allone with my toughts about the mezes. i really tried to love them but no it didnt work

Interesting....I've only heard the closed back Liric when auditioning for the HD820, but overall the Senns appear to have the more natural tone.
Second up were the Meze Liric which were quite sibilant, something odd about them not sure what was going on but it did not fair well.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #4,219 of 6,561
i really wanna get rid of my mezes again. no luck so far. as more i use my s2 the more i enjoy them. i hear details with these i dont do with the meze, they are just starting to distord and have a high treble which i can't stand. eq didnt help out much. i wish the mezes where more on a laid back level like the s2s
Please
Same here. I returned my Meze within 30 days and got hit with freight and restocking fees. Treble just too sharp, and less details than S2.. and bass too boomy for my liking.
Please specify, which MEZEs ?

Jul 13, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #4,220 of 6,561
I was tempted a time or two when the S2 went on sale @ $499. I really had a battle when I found them under $400.

Depending on your own perspective, don't know if I won or lost? I had $300 available on a card at Crutchfield, so I added $99 + tax with it and have the S2's on the way.

I've never auditioned the S2 model, but if they're very near the HD650 with extended, not exaggerated bass then I should be very pleased with them.

"Like I needed another set of cans..."

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #4,222 of 6,561
Please

Please specify, which MEZEs ?
109 pro.

My last mini-impression a while back ago. I cut short and repost here.
ok lets do it now. 😉

For those curious about the diff between HD660S2 and Meze pro 109. I manage to have an hour's break so I will do a very quick comparison.

First, there is nothing in common between both headphones – unlike the NDH 30 and HD660S2, where the non-fatigue technology is in the NDH 30 while maintaining pinpoint accuracy. The Meze pro 109 deviates entirely from the Sennheiser HD6xx series tuning. I feel that Meze pro 109 set out to tune something better than the classic 99 and make it the best of all fun headphones. They came out with a W frequency response. Yes a Big W tunning and boy this is about one of the most enjoyable and fun sound tunings in the “fun Category”.

The soundstage of 109 is bigger than both the NDH 30 or any 6XX series headphones. It’s challenging the HD800 or He1000V2 soundstage but still not there yet. I do find it a little weird as it stretches pretty far apart, there is a lot of space between each instrument, and even the vocal is expanded a little due to the stretching. As opposed to the He1000v2 where the vocal is dead center, the 109 vocal is not only center, it pans a little to the left and right as well.

The Bass qty is boosted, and the mid is more pronounced, making it sound warm. The bass level is more than NDH 30 and HD660S2, HE1000v2 from sub to mid-bass. But it is still not at the bass head level. To put it in perspective, it’s pretty similar to the HD660S2 quantity, but the 109 goes deeper and is more pronounced in the sub-bass region. It’s similar to most good bass consumer headphones, but it's nowhere near the Denon D series deep rumbling sub-bass. It didn’t go that deep, but still, it's close enough. The bass is pretty fast for a fun headphone, but this is no dry bass. It added a lot of effects to make it sound fun. The NDH30 goes deeper than both HD660S2 and 109 but it is not as boosted as both of them. you will hear its presence with great texture down deep - never boosted or got leaked into the mid. It knows its place with great precision like a samurai with great discipline.

The vocal is pretty “sharp”. I will say it’s similar to the Hifiman Arya-type vocal, where there is a significant lift in the mid-treble region. It is not accurate nor is it natural. I have the most problem with the vocal as it is pretty bright with some significant upper mid lift – In fact, there is a spike starting from 2-5 Khz (based on my ear) where the HD660S dips slightly to relax the vocal and the NDH 30 remains constant. So most vocals sound pretty bright on 109. For me, it has hit my sibilance level. I tried and burn-in, and it did smooth out but still nowhere acceptable for me.

The treble is neutral-bright overall. As this is a W tuning. It has 3 peaks; the bass has the least peak, but the mid and treble can touch my personal sibilance level on some tracks. Don’t get me wrong, this is no Beyer bright, it is still very acceptable but compared to HD660S2, it's very far away. The HD660S2 sounds very natural. The HD660S2 is like an unplugged version - you hear someone playing trumpet or singing in the subway, no added amplifier, just pure sound. This is what I meant by natural. The 109 is plugged into something which makes it more exciting. It boosted the bass, mid and treble.

Jul 13, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #4,223 of 6,561
Back to $499 - congrats to those who got it at $399. - :)

1689267225085.png

Jul 13, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #4,225 of 6,561
it was actually lower than $380 if you used the Amazon prime card :sweat_smile:

Jul 13, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #4,226 of 6,561
That's $489.99 from a marketplace seller. Amazon proper is now showing $599.99 but is OOS. Even bigger congrats to those who got it for $379.99! Amazon told me to take a hike when I asked for a credit.
Bloom Audio and Audio 64 still have it for $399. As does the official Sennheiser website. Maybe the new price going forward?

Jul 13, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #4,227 of 6,561
Bloom Audio and Audio 64 still have it for $399. As does the official Sennheiser website. Maybe the new price going forward?
Temporary

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Jul 13, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #4,228 of 6,561
Jul 14, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #4,230 of 6,561
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back