Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Feb 26, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #1,681 of 6,844
On a tangent:

Amazon has 600: $261 (whoa, cheapest I've ever seen) and 660S: $289, and a whopping $599 for the 660S2.... brings to mind a Lene Lovitch cut "New Toy" released in 1981.... yup, new toys, always better than the old toys....

Agree.

But not sure at all that that HD 600 @ $261 is new or actually a Sennheiser. Seems to be sold by "Buy Top Tech" and the reviews range between "this has been opened before" to "this is not a Sennheiser". :) I would buy from a reputable store instead.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,682 of 6,844
Agree.

But not sure at all that that HD 600 @ $261 is new or actually a Sennheiser. Seems to be sold by "Buy Top Tech" and the reviews range between "this has been opened before" to "this is not a Sennheiser". :) I would buy from a reputable store instead.
Same price directly from Amazon themselves and yes for a new pair.

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,683 of 6,844
I was weak and ordered a refurbished 660s instead. As my right diaphragm on my 58X seems rusty and discoloured for no apparent reason (maybe was like that from the beginning and I noticed now when I change pads) I want a backup easy to drive 6## series phone.

I really love my 58X actually with my aftermarket earpads it sounds even more punchy and dynamic. Now at last I can really compare between the two.

My 660s2 is also high on my list maybe I will buy later one and place it in the 660s fabulous box...LOL...I will swap boxes between the two

Feb 26, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #1,684 of 6,844
Someone mentioned numerous pages back how the 600 and 650 are underpriced. I would agree with that fully. Crazy how little they can be had for when they come extremely close to the HPs that cost a thousand + . I still think the HD 660S2 is underpriced at $600. If it was priced higher those in the thousand plus range of HPs would look closer at it. It is that good as well as always have been the 600 and 650. Three great flavors.

I am not saying $600 is not a lot of money. I am saying that in comparison to what other HPs cost, $600 is a great price for the quality of sound you get.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #1,685 of 6,844
Many people seem to be comparing the mids on the 660S2 with the mids on the 600. For me though its the upper mids on the 600 that I can’t handle. Too much presence in that region leading to fatigue. Its the main reason I always prefered the 650. Can anyone with all three tell me whether the mids on the 660S2 are more like the 600 or 650 (or indeed the 660S)?
More like those of 600 and with more dimensionality.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #1,686 of 6,844
Many people seem to be comparing the mids on the 660S2 with the mids on the 600. For me though its the upper mids on the 600 that I can’t handle. Too much presence in that region leading to fatigue. Its the main reason I always prefered the 650. Can anyone with all three tell me whether the mids on the 660S2 are more like the 600 or 650 (or indeed the 660S)?
I haven't really seen people on headfi mention any treble hot spots, on some other forums you can find some mentions, but for me the 660S2 is ever so slightly fatiguing in the upper mids. Probably the uplifted 6k to 8k Hz region that needs to be EQ'd a bit. It's a near perfect leisure listening headphone otherwise.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #1,687 of 6,844
Agree.

Eeeew... thanks for pointing this out.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:30 PM Post #1,688 of 6,844
I haven't really seen people on headfi mention any treble hot spots, on some other forums you can find some mentions, but for me the 660S2 is ever so slightly fatiguing in the upper mids. Probably the uplifted 6k to 8k Hz region that needs to be EQ'd a bit. It's a near perfect leisure listening headphone otherwise.
6-8k is a problem area for the 600 on SS amps. It's a bit bright and also has a bit of steeliness. That gets tucked away or at least mitigated by:

1. OTL amps
2. EQ
3. the cup has plasticy sound and other vibration issues. I use small bits of dynamat to tame them down (w/o covering any holes) and that helped a bit.

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #1,689 of 6,844
6-8k is a problem area for the 600 on SS amps. It's a bit bright and also has a bit of steeliness. That gets tucked away or at least mitigated by:

1. OTL amps
2. EQ
3. the cup has plasticy sound and other vibration issues. I use small bits of dynamat to tame them down (w/o covering any holes) and that helped a bit.
I feel that the Custom Cans UK cnc backweight mod addresses 3. successfully.

Feb 26, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #1,690 of 6,844
Thank you very much sir I really appreciate it.

Final question: are one day already in my cart but I suspect these do NOT get a further 10% discount as they are already discounted, right?
No….but you do get a 100% discount if you do not press ‘submit’…. 😉

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #1,691 of 6,844
Backpack Hiking.. The HD660S2 and Shanling M7 joins this adventure trip. Have a happy Sunday everyone!

1677459825532.jpeg

Feb 26, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #1,692 of 6,844
Anyone able to compare the 660S2 to AKG K712 in terms of overall tonality, sound stage, and transient response?

In general I'm trying to get a sense of how the overall sound relates to the cans I know and love - I've got a pair of HD650 that have made it from not long after their introduction 'til today with some minor refurbishment along the way, love their sound. Love the HD660S, more energetic and revealing plus they respond very well to EQ. From AKG I love the Q701 and K712, my go-to studio usage cans (when I'm able to use open headphones for a particular task) that offer different looks but share some strengths. Also still enjoying some of the older 250ohm Beyers, even if they aren't the current hotness I'll defend the 250ohm DT-770 as an excellent closed headphone that can hang for studio work :) Last but not least ATH-A990Z, mainly for movies & gaming as they have some nice attributes for those usages while not being especially "reference" quality.

As mentioned I am not averse to EQ and make plenty of use of the EQ in my Magni+/Modi+/Loki Mini+ stack of Schiit. While it is certainly true that trying to move headphone drivers out of their design parameters can lead to unflattering distortion, some of these headphones tolerate pretty big moves very well and I have never felt the 660S are bass light with regard to their ability to be EQ'd for more thump where I want it.

I'm wondering if I have any pressing need for a set of the S2, or if I can wait around a bit 'til they come down in price - $600 is steep for a set of cans for me, even if adjusted for inflation I paid more for the HD-650s back in the day the competition is stiffer now. I wonder what the 660S2 would offer me that I need.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #1,693 of 6,844
I'm probably not much help, but FWIW: I have the AKG K712. I like them, I respect them, but I think the HD660S2 is better. (I'm also a long-time owner of the HD650, but I immediately preferred the S2). Compared to the K712, the S2 is fuller, more transparent/cleaner, a little warmer and smoother I'd say (all at once). An overall more appealing tonality, and upgrade on other technicals. Haven't really considered the differences in soundstage yet though.

Feb 26, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #1,694 of 6,844
JDS Atom is spectacular with the HD660S2. It's neutral, airy, and has a wide soundstage which works well with the HD660S2. The flaws with the JDS Atom is that there's an upper mid glare, but it's a lot more narrow sounding than the HD600 for example. So in this case the JDS Atom tends to sound better with guitar riffs, for example Lynyrd Skynyrds Free Bird's guitar solo sounds spectacularly detailed.

The FiiO K7 narrows that soundstage, and thus hinders the HD660S2's imaging. The other hindrance with the FiiO K7 is that the treble smoothed out along with some treble detail. It also glazes over peaky upper mid glares of the JDS Atom. This combination of a more tolerable upper mid clarity and smoothness is just fantastic with wind instruments. The bass is also punchier than the JDS Atom, but I don't think the extra bass punch was needed.

So it looks like I'll be going on an adventure to research for a clean sounding source like the JDS Atom, rough treble won't be an issue for me, but a smoothed upper mid would be nice.

You should try the new Magni+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back