Sennheiser HD 650 = the emperor's clothes?
Apr 17, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #211 of 230
Of course we want to know.
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally think the tbh should come wearing a Hawaiian t-shirt. In fact talking about it is making me want one again. I only sold my last one to raise funds quickly.
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #212 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
smily_headphones1.gif
I personally think the tbh should come wearing a Hawaiian t-shirt. In fact talking about it is making me want one again. I only sold my last one to raise funds quickly.
frown.gif

Mine is not my favorite sounding amp but definitely has a place in my quiver. It's the only amp I own that allows me to bypass crappy headphone section of my laptop. Also works great when two people in a plane want to watch a movie on a portable DVD player. Does great w/ my Etys and my Senns (haven't tried my 325i yet).
The SR-71 will take over full time w/ the iPod now but the TBH will stay on the job for laptop and PDVD duty or in more "rugged" situations where I won't want to risk the SR.
CPW

Apr 18, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #213 of 230
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

Did you sell the shirt or the TBH?

Charley

Apr 18, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #214 of 230
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif
frown.gif

Going for the tyll look I see. It's what's in, afterall.
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #215 of 230
Dear Headfiers:

I beg you one thing. I spent a whole after reading this insanely long thread, and I will die if I can't get the ending.
What happened to tingj's final conclusion. Did he try any better amp, aftermarket cable or other phones? What's his final conclusions?
Please pity me and give me some hint.

Jul 16, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #216 of 230
i dont want to open a new thread for this question so: what is the current price for a new pair of senn 650s in the usa? Theay are like 270€ from cheap sellers here and that seems to be rathner inexpensive.

Jul 16, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #217 of 230
It's all about what you're using them to listen for. If you're listening to rap/rock/pop, you've selected the wrong can. The 650 line was made for more fragile music; classical, jazz, ambient, etc. The nice thing about a PC setup is that you can equalize the signal to make the Senn flagship usable for the more active, less complex musics (fyi).

Jul 16, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #218 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterR
Just when you thought this disaster of a thread had finally died its deserved death...
rolleyes.gif

Die thread, die !! =)

Jul 16, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #219 of 230
Hi guys,
Just thought I'd add my thoughts.
Just bought some 650's after living with the 600's for 5 or so years.
So far I'm lil disappointed with the 650's. They sound brighter, and I like listening to my rock music LOUD. Most CD's these days are too bright.
So I'm hoping my 650s run in to a warmer sound.
They are *far* from sounding dark, bloated, warm on my ears, system. I am using a Rotel amp which has a *good* amp output (I've tried dedicated and others believe me and those old Rotel amps are good headphone jobs.
I'm using a Marantz 63 which is renound for sounding warm.
I know what CD's are maximised and what ain't and Ive tried all the neutral sounding mastered CD's. (Steve Hoffman etc.)
Maybe a downgrade to some new 600s coming up. (my 5 year old 600's are a mess).
I would be afraid of upgrading to a better made cable through fear of letting more treble\detail through = harsh at loud volumes.
Danny.

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #220 of 230
Got the HD 650s, am listening to them as I write.
Very strange. I first listened to organ music and was not particularly impressed (actually: disappointed. My Grado SR-80s are just as good there *I think*). Now, I am listening to Shchedrin's "Carmen Suite" (full classical orchestra with lots of percussion etc.) and AM impressed. Amazingly transparent. I am reminded of electrostatic headphones I heard decades ago ("Jecklin Float"?).

I think I will adapt to these cans more than they to me, despite "burning in" (which I do not disbelieve in; I'm an agnostic there).

Charley

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:28 PM Post #221 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmling
Amazingly transparent. I am reminded of electrostatic headphones I heard decades ago ("Jecklin Float"?)...
Charley

The Jecklin floats are not exactly state of the art electrostats. The sennheiser sound is either something you like or you don't. I don't think they sound anything like electrostats. However this is coming from someone who has heard Sennheisers only at one of the meets.

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #223 of 230
Update!
Heard the HD 650s with rock hard and not so hard. I was not very impressed.
But now I am hearing Marc-André Hamelin play "Iberia" by Albeniz (piano solo, classical), and I am hearing a piano IN FRONT OF ME and not a nuance is lost.
For this alone (I suppose about 30 % of my listening is piano solo), I am very happy with my acquisition.

I love these things, they are ideal for me.

Charley
(Who might be back after various burn-in stages, which he awaits with some trepidation)

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #224 of 230
Quote:

Originally Posted by tingj
I just got these a couple of weeks ago, influenced in part by reviews on this site.

I am disappointed enough to contemplate returning them. I have run them 24 hrs/day for 2 weeks to break 'em in but still can't seem to warm up to their sound.

The problem? They are too soft (dark) in the high end and bloated in the bass. They lack "air" and "transparency". I would describe their sound as "euphonic". Easy to listen to, yes, but uninvolving. I expected more from the flagship Sennheisers. My last headphones were HD560s and I used them for 15 years and thought they were great.

Incidentally, I run them with a Meridian 508.24 CD player and Creek OBH-11 headphone amp. I have Meridian DSP-5000 and KEF 105/3S speakers as references -- and both of these speakers are rather soft in the treble themselves, so it isn't a matter of me being used to bright speakers.

What's wrong here? Can I expect the treble to brighten with further break-in? Please don't tell me I need $300 aftermarket headphone cables or a $1000 headphone amp because that just ain't happening.

Anyone in NYC want to trade headphones?
-JT

Maybe you've answered this already: Since you live in NYC, where there are dozens of audiophile shops with listening rooms, why did you choose not to trial the HD650s first, and in comparison to other headphones or amp set-ups?

confused.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #225 of 230
I think the HD 650s are beginning to go into hibernation after about 30 hours of use.
I think my nice little Grado SR-80s did that, too, but later, and less perceptibly. (They are now, I think, as open as they'll ever be - I've had them for 4 years. Nice cans, but I am, of course, expecting more from the Senns.)

This is all very interesting.

Greetings to all,
Charley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back