Sennheiser HD 650 silver edition is coming!!
Apr 30, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #16 of 91
Translation of the main part of the text:

(......)

Duofoil is a Sandwich of polycarbonate and polyurethane which combines the advantages of both materials – high rigidity and strong internal damping – in an ingenious manner. The optical attribute of this headphone generation is the filigran perforated metal plate on the outside of the cans which, with its silvery color, provides to the HD 650, specially developed for «stereoplay's» birthday, its noble appearance. But more important is how Sennheiser has fulfilled «stereoplay's» desire for a tad more bass.

By means of newest simulation software the membrane geometry in the suspension area has been optimized, resulting in clearly reduced harmonic distortion. Moreover some modifications on the damping elements provide a reduction of the membrane travel, reducing intermodulation distortions and resulting in a very positive sonic presentation: The bass has much sharper contour, and with an increased presence the listener gets even closer to the acoustic event. Pity this masterpiece will not be brought to production until this coming late summer.

Apr 30, 2003 at 11:35 PM Post #17 of 91
The membrane material remains the same, but geometry and damping have been modified. So it's a bigger step than the one from the 580 to the «Jubilee» or the 600. And obviously the sound has changed «dramatically».

I'm eager to audition it, and I guess I could be seriously tempted to get it – independent of the question if there will follow a HD 700 in a year or so.

peacesign.gif

May 1, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #18 of 91
Thanks for the translation.
Quote:

The bass has much sharper contour, and with an increased presence the listener gets even closer to the acoustic event.

Sounds like they've decided to try to tackle "the veil". They do supposedly read threads here. Maybe they got the message?
evil_smiley.gif

Mark

May 1, 2003 at 12:06 AM Post #19 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
But more important is how Sennheiser has fulfilled «stereoplay's» desire for a tad more bass.

As if the HD600 wasn't already the de facto standard for bass heads, they had to go and add even more bass?
rolleyes.gif

May 1, 2003 at 1:06 AM Post #23 of 91
[size=xx-small] Quote:

Originally posted by sweetben
jude...didn't you go to the senheiser factory? did they tell you about/show you these new headphones? perhaps you're not allowed to say...

[/size]This is all news to me, man -- this thread is the first time I've heard of it.

May 1, 2003 at 1:11 AM Post #24 of 91
If ever I was going to dive head first into the Senn line...this will be the time. Unless of course....the HD700 is a guarantee in the next year
evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2003 at 2:22 AM Post #25 of 91
I have it on good but anonymous authority that these have been held back for about a year.
evil_smiley.gif
Don't ask. I promised I wouldn't tell.

There have been some hints in public postings and some retailers' actions, too. But very few believed the portents.
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2003 at 2:29 AM Post #26 of 91
Held back so retailers could purge their shelves of HD600s? Maybe that's why they are so cheap these days. Retailers probably looked at their inventory and told Senn to hold off til the older stuff was gone, reduced for quick sale.

Mark

May 1, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #27 of 91
That explains the deal that buy.com had about 6 weeks ago when HD600 were going for $195 and the so-called "only 10 left" stock, that was refilled every half hour... Turned out that they actually didn't have them in stock and ordered them from the manufacturer directly...

May 1, 2003 at 2:50 AM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by jude
This is all news to me, man -- this thread is the first time I've heard of it.

Jeepers I sure remember this little post from 04-08-2002 by our own Jan Meier.

Quote:

Main topic, of course, was the HD600. This model has gained international cult-status, not the least among Headwizers and Headfizers.

However, the phone is already more than five years on the market and is slightly showing age. During the discussions I was told that Sennheiser was considering both a face-lift to a HD600SE and a complete new development, the HD700.
For reasons of confidentiality I can't go very deep into details which technical ideas were discussed but be assure that all the ideas you gave me were included Some were obvious (better cable, better connections(!!), better damping, more modern looks, etc.) others were more fancy.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ighlight=HD700

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #29 of 91
am in the process of stepping up my headphone system. just listened to the hd600 today and was completly floored. its good that i couldnt see them on my fat head though. what a hideous shell. very pleased to hear of a silver hd650. i just might have to wait.

May 1, 2003 at 4:00 AM Post #30 of 91
Great news! I'm fond of the Sennheiser sound.

Quote:

Originally posted by Vertigo-1
As if the HD600 wasn't already the de facto standard for bass heads, they had to go and add even more bass?
rolleyes.gif

Not for anyone who's got a DT770 Pro, it isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back