Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Dec 16, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #391 of 737
Nice Review. 

Opinions vary, I am personally not fond of mine after a week of listening exclusively to it.  Too harsh and congested sounding.  I will give it a few more weeks to see, if something changes.  They do have a unique sound to any other headphones I own.  For what that is worth.  But as of now, not impressed with them. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #392 of 737
OK here goes, so my HD630VBs arrived on Wednesday so I've had a few days to pull together my 'first impressions' plus give the headphone's a chance to loosen up a little.

I should note that all my listening has been via iPhone, iPad and Macbook with no accessories to improve audio. I've also been using Apple Music (256 AAC) and my own iTunes library which has everything from 128 AAC to 320 MP3, I have a long over due appointment with my CD collection to  re-rip to FLAC! Of course the upshot of this is that the headphones have not been given their best opportunity to shine, however this is a bit of a moot point as pretty much all my listening will be as above but my comments should be taken in context. These are also the first decent headphones I've actually owned, as previously posted I spent a decade in a Hi-Fi store where we sold Sennheiser, Beyer and a few others so I have a little experience to call on, but nothing to directly compare them to - a friend has a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 so at some point I'll do an A-B.

Design and build

I can imagine these will garner all sorts of opinion as they are a BIG headphone with a very unique style. They are built to an extremely high standard, lots of metal and they feel lovely, the red finish over the drive units is a particularly nice touch and adds an element of fun to what would otherwise be a statement of silver & grey. I really rather like the look, they've stepped over the 'large' mark by such a considerable margin that they make a bit of a statement. I'll not feel the least bit concerned using them on planes, trains etc. Everyone who's seen them has only had positive things to say so overall a winner, albeit a LARGE one.

The lack of a removable cable is a little irritating as I've fallen foul of damaged plugs in the past, but in the scheme of things not a big issue. Some people have remarked on the noise the cable makes though the headphone when brushing against clothing. Not something I've had any issue with, I listen to music loud and sit fairly still. I've tried simulating it and either I wear the wrong type of clothes or others are more sensitive to this than I am, it's there but a non issue in my opinion.

Wearing

Comfortable, secure, wear for hours etc. etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with the experience of wearing these. They effectively filter outside noise, you can have a conversation with someone close by but most ambient noise is suitably removed. At full whack you can only just hear sound when sitting close to someone wearing them, so, as wanted I can have my own personal party without upsetting those close to me.

Volume

This is quite important to me as in my experience most large headphones simply don't go loud enough running of iPhones, and these are no different. They go fairly loud but I still find myself trying to turn them up (from max) with some tracks. So not ideal. However I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my iPad Air is a much, much better source. Full volume via the iPad is plenty loud enough, better in fact than my Macbook.

I'm collecting an Arcam Music Boost on Monday, this rather cool little gadget doubles the battery life of the phone but more importantly has a DAC and amp built in, I'm hoping it'll drive headphones better than the phone - that and improve audio of course.

Operation; and that VB thing!

Rather than locating the controls on the cable Sennheiser have chosen to locate them on the right can, a rather excellent idea really. Raising your hand to your ear is of course an extremely natural thing to do in this 'age of the mobile phone'. Volume, play, pause and track control are all very easy to execute. So to this variable bass...

Excellent, brilliant, game changing, not sure if I'll ever enjoy a headphone without it. +/-5db @ 50Hz allows you to tailor the sonic presentation for each track, what I particularly like is the fact that you can over cook it; listening to some of my favourite dance tracks with a big bottom end I found that the full 5db is too much. I like it when you work within parameters rather than finding them not broad enough. I use the dial almost continuously, not so much during tracks but when a new one starts I make a small adjustment to dial it in just right. For older recordings, or those that sound a little thin it's a very helpful tool. Where other headphones will ruthlessly let the recording fall flat on its face the HD630VB says no, just turn this dial an we can make it sound a little better. What a great idea and well executed, having the dial rotate around the edge of the right can is genius.

Sound quality

As I said at the start I have nothing on hand to reference these against, well I do have a couple of pairs of £20 Sony's someone kindly brought for my kids a few years back, but the less said about these are better. No, all I can comment on is what I'm hearing and the effect it has on me. I know good audio as I've been selling it for 20+ years but headphones are not my area.

I've used a broad range of music, not so much searching for good test tracks but more going though my back catalog of favourites so I can enjoy listening to them again. That says a lot I think! One thing that is immediately apparent is the low end performance, god these things extend low! I can actually feel the headphones moving with some tracks, just awesome. In fact for Dance music in general these are great, not bass heavy as such just well suited to the presentation the genre deserves. Weighty, fast, detailed and open, but not bright. I've really enjoyed Adele's new single 'Hello', a remarkable track in its self but sounds fabulous on the 630s. The soundstage is wide with the instruments nicely layered and her wonderful voice just sores. Pink Floyd, The The, Dire Straits, Jurassic 5, Dr Dre etc. all sound great, never tiring and I find myself listening for longer and longer periods. Even turning the telly off in preference of listening to music, that's the first time I've done that since my kids arrived! 

When I first put them on I was very pleased and impressed, but I did think the top end was a little tight and the soundstage felt a tad restrained, but then again I'm pretty used to this with speakers when unboxed for the first time. They've probably had around 5-10h of play now and things have loosened up nicely. It's a long, long time since I listened to the HD600s but I remember them having a broader soundstage and better imaging, but for a closed back headphone the HD630s are remarkably good and the frequency response outstanding. I've read lots of good about the Oppo PM3 and some closed back Beyer models, I'd love to try them as well and would be remarkably impressed if they outperformed the HD630. Maybe they do? Not fussed one bit though as I'm very happy with these and will enjoy them for years, but I like to keep options open, I'm a cyclist and amongst them there's a universally agreed ownership equation of N+1...

To close. To put the HD630VB in the context of something I know a fair bit about, Hi-Fi, to mirror the performance you'd comfortably need to spend several thousand and would need a sub to get anywhere near that colossal bottom end. I've only heard a few speakers that can go that low on their own. I've heard better headphones but they were open back, so overall I'm rather impressed.

Ali.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #393 of 737
Poor Pioneer they made two headphones, sub-$200, that use the variable bass style on the ear cup, including one dating back to 2012 and everybody acts like Sennheiser did something new here.  Very different headphone sound (warm/boomy) but the gimmick is essentially the same.

Personally I found the sub-bass as very average at best.  Even lacking to some degree.  But hey, there is more headphones that struggle with that, than there are headphones that do it well.  So good enough. 

Dec 22, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #394 of 737
Ok so could you help me compare this to my HD8 DJs? Plus can you help ALL OF US by telling how this dial thing works? I mean is this some sort of filter/crossover thing or what? Since it's on one side, means that it's not really a mechanical thing that opens or closes bass ports, like the custom one PROs or some Sonys and stuff. Then it's not a digital thing either. So what's going on there?

I'm actually considering getting these over my HD8s but I've spent some money now. I would really still wanna know which ones better overall? Sound and durability wise. Plus, the HD8s have an exterior metal exoskeleton, but the inner sides of the earcups and forks are still plastic. The headband is very sturdy, yet still plastic. How much METAL is there in these 630s? Don't know but I'm having cravings for metal phones a lot these days. Even planning on making my own all-metals if I can't find anything worthy enough.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #395 of 737
Dont have hd8 dj to compare.

Circular bass control is located around the outside of the right earcup and turns. It controls both sides bass at the same time. Similiar to the Pioneer headphones. They had a circular slider built into the side of the earcup (as opposed to the 630 being around the side). They operated the same way. The pioneers used two drivers, one driver for mids highs and one driver for bass which was boosted using the bass control. Nobody knows yet the inner workings of the Senn until someone is willing to open them and find out. If I'd have to guess though, I'd bet its a two driver deal. But until someone opens them up. We cant be sure cause Sennheiser aint tellin'.

They have some metal and they feel strong. But there is also alot of very hard textured plastic.

I hope someone gives you the comparison your looking for. I'm curious how they compare too. Also would love to know how they work internally for certain. But I'm not gutsy enough to open mine.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #396 of 737
Dont have hd8 dj to compare.

Circular bass control is located around the outside of the right earcup and turns. It controls both sides bass at the same time. Similiar to the Pioneer headphones. They had a circular slider built into the side of the earcup (as opposed to the 630 being around the side). They operated the same way. The pioneers used two drivers, one driver for mids highs and one driver for bass which was boosted using the bass control. Nobody knows yet the inner workings of the Senn until someone is willing to open them and find out. If I'd have to guess though, I'd bet its a two driver deal. But until someone opens them up. We cant be sure cause Sennheiser aint tellin'.

They have some metal and they feel strong. But there is also alot of very hard textured plastic.

I hope someone gives you the comparison your looking for. I'm curious how they compare too. Also would love to know how they work internally for certain. But I'm not gutsy enough to open mine.

Hmmm... Alright. Well thank you for the elaboration. Yeah it could be a dual driver thing. Maybe they have an internal wiring and volume control for the bass drivers. That could be the only logical explanation. BTW what pioneers are you talking about here?

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #397 of 737
Hmmm... Alright. Well thank you for the elaboration. Yeah it could be a dual driver thing. Maybe they have an internal wiring and volume control for the bass drivers. That could be the only logical explanation. BTW what pioneers are you talking about here?

Pioneer Steez 808 MJ751I and Pioneer SE-MX7.  I only have the MX7.  Very different from the Sennheiser's sound wise and they are on-ear.  They are very warm.  Even with the bass slider down to minimum, they are warm and bassy.  That's quite a bit different from the 630VB which is far less warm and more balanced in comparison to the Pioneers.  Of course 630VB is over ear too. 

The Pioneers had dual drivers, according to their specs Steez 808 had a 40mm driver for the lows and 30mm driver for mids-highs.  The MX7 has two 40mm drivers with the same setup.  One for lows, one for mids-highs.  They both had the rotating circular variable bass control like the Sennheisers do. 

Dec 28, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #399 of 737
Hi all,
I've been looking for headphones to use with my electronic drum set.
I want closed back headphones with a fairly neutral balance, but solid bass.
This looks like it could be the deal, but the reviews I've seen are fairly polarising.
I'll of course try these cans at a local shop in a while, but I'd like you guys' opinions.

Should I go for the 630VBs or something like ATH-MSR7/M70x?
Or if there are any other models you would recommend, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #400 of 737
Hi all,
I've been looking for headphones to use with my electronic drum set.
I want closed back headphones with a fairly neutral balance, but solid bass.
This looks like it could be the deal, but the reviews I've seen are fairly polarising.
I'll of course try these cans at a local shop in a while, but I'd like you guys' opinions.

Should I go for the 630VBs or something like ATH-MSR7/M70x?
Or if there are any other models you would recommend, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

For a drummer You want something that can reproduce the real timpani, and bass with authority, plus stay on your head. Check out the MDR-7520. Also would say the hd25 as it has a split headband that will not come off.

Dec 28, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #401 of 737
Or DT770 M

Designed specifically for drummers?!?

Dec 29, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #402 of 737
  Im writing this review because I know we're all tired of waiting for a decent professional review. So heres one from a semi professional. Ive had the 630vb's for about 7 days now and my $200 Soul Ludacris Headphones don't even compare to the 630vb's. Im ashamed for having used them this long. Its night and day with the 630's obviously more clearer, cleaner, and crisper. I can hear very fine detail in songs Ive listened to before. I put on some Chronic Dr Dre nothing but a G thang and Snoop Doggs Gin and Juice, Michael jackson, Katy Perry, Creed, Bush, U2, Journey, Taylor Swift , you name it. I wanted to really see what I had purchased and if I would be keeping them or returning them. The 630s sound great and the VB (Variable Bass) comes in handy in whether I want more or less bass. ( an option you don't get with similar priced headphones.) All the highs mids and lows are nice. I listened to about 1 minute on my old headphones and then switched to the 630s and the difference was obvious and not by a little , by a lot. The Souls are junk but I will keep them for back up.  Every thing functions smoothly (operation of the bass wheel, play, pause, skip, rewind and volume control controls on the side ear cup). They are not heavy. IMO. They have a lot of cushion that supports their weight. I listened to a lot of headphones at Best Buy. Some where audiophiles, others were high end Bose, AKG, Shure, Blue bird etc . And I noticed they either had too much bass or not quite enough bass, plus they were pricey. So the VB wheel is a pretty cool feature. I have a small home recording studio and I was looking for a closed headphone  with little to no bleed that sounded great for recording vocals. I use the Apollo Twin Duo as a recording interface. The Apollo twin headphone amp says it has a 10 Ohm impedance  output. The 630s are 23 Ohm impedance. So Im not sure if I will get a better sound connecting an independent  headphone amplifier. Ive read that an amp is not recommended for these headphones but I also hear you can never have overkill with Sennheiser. Again I jumped the gun and ordered the APHEX head pod 4(headphone amplifier)  because I did notice that I had to Turn the volume way up on the apollo  to get a good clean sounding vocal out of the headphones. The music was loud but the microphone vocals were weak. The only way to get  the level of sound I was looking for was to max out the volume knob. Again I plugged in the Souls and the microphone vocal was louder but WAY more crappier sounding on the souls than the 630s. The 630s sounded true and accurate which is what I was going after but just lower in volume. So I'm thinking the Ohms impedance would benefit from the amp i just purchased. It will arrive today. Ill let you know if it solves the issue. The 630s sound fine on the iPhone and laptop but I did notice a crisper sound when they are connected to the Apollo. So the amp in the apollo is probably better than the laptop and iPhone. The only issue I'm having is the microphone issue.Again the volume needs to be turned way up on the apollo to get a nice sound from the headphones & Im not used to turning my interface to the max to get a volume that the Souls get for less. The 630 headphones sound wide and open. I can mix a song better and spread out instruments better because the distinct placement of each sound is incredibly audible. The non detachable cord should be detachable  because its stationed on the right ear cup. and my work station is to my left . So the cord has to swing from the right to the left instead of just being on the side of my workstation. I have to flip the headphones around which is like mirroring the functions when you become accustomed to them because the wheel now must be spun in the opposite direction for less or more bass. Plus i have to buy an awkward adapter to lengthen the 3 foot cord. It takes a female to male adapter. the attached cord says it is built with oxygen free cable. So I'm wondering if now the extension has to be the same so I don't experience any loss of quality.  It has a solid build, I like the design, the red cloth inside etc. They look expensive  Sound great and have some cool features. Ill let  you know what the amp does to them. Thanks for reading.

OK here goes, so my HD630VBs arrived on Wednesday so I've had a few days to pull together my 'first impressions' plus give the headphone's a chance to loosen up a little.

I should note that all my listening has been via iPhone, iPad and Macbook with no accessories to improve audio. I've also been using Apple Music (256 AAC) and my own iTunes library which has everything from 128 AAC to 320 MP3, I have a long over due appointment with my CD collection to  re-rip to FLAC! Of course the upshot of this is that the headphones have not been given their best opportunity to shine, however this is a bit of a moot point as pretty much all my listening will be as above but my comments should be taken in context. These are also the first decent headphones I've actually owned, as previously posted I spent a decade in a Hi-Fi store where we sold Sennheiser, Beyer and a few others so I have a little experience to call on, but nothing to directly compare them to - a friend has a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2 so at some point I'll do an A-B.

Design and build

I can imagine these will garner all sorts of opinion as they are a BIG headphone with a very unique style. They are built to an extremely high standard, lots of metal and they feel lovely, the red finish over the drive units is a particularly nice touch and adds an element of fun to what would otherwise be a statement of silver & grey. I really rather like the look, they've stepped over the 'large' mark by such a considerable margin that they make a bit of a statement. I'll not feel the least bit concerned using them on planes, trains etc. Everyone who's seen them has only had positive things to say so overall a winner, albeit a LARGE one.

The lack of a removable cable is a little irritating as I've fallen foul of damaged plugs in the past, but in the scheme of things not a big issue. Some people have remarked on the noise the cable makes though the headphone when brushing against clothing. Not something I've had any issue with, I listen to music loud and sit fairly still. I've tried simulating it and either I wear the wrong type of clothes or others are more sensitive to this than I am, it's there but a non issue in my opinion.

Wearing

Comfortable, secure, wear for hours etc. etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with the experience of wearing these. They effectively filter outside noise, you can have a conversation with someone close by but most ambient noise is suitably removed. At full whack you can only just hear sound when sitting close to someone wearing them, so, as wanted I can have my own personal party without upsetting those close to me.

Volume

This is quite important to me as in my experience most large headphones simply don't go loud enough running of iPhones, and these are no different. They go fairly loud but I still find myself trying to turn them up (from max) with some tracks. So not ideal. However I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my iPad Air is a much, much better source. Full volume via the iPad is plenty loud enough, better in fact than my Macbook.

I'm collecting an Arcam Music Boost on Monday, this rather cool little gadget doubles the battery life of the phone but more importantly has a DAC and amp built in, I'm hoping it'll drive headphones better than the phone - that and improve audio of course.

Operation; and that VB thing!

Rather than locating the controls on the cable Sennheiser have chosen to locate them on the right can, a rather excellent idea really. Raising your hand to your ear is of course an extremely natural thing to do in this 'age of the mobile phone'. Volume, play, pause and track control are all very easy to execute. So to this variable bass...

Excellent, brilliant, game changing, not sure if I'll ever enjoy a headphone without it. +/-5db @ 50Hz allows you to tailor the sonic presentation for each track, what I particularly like is the fact that you can over cook it; listening to some of my favourite dance tracks with a big bottom end I found that the full 5db is too much. I like it when you work within parameters rather than finding them not broad enough. I use the dial almost continuously, not so much during tracks but when a new one starts I make a small adjustment to dial it in just right. For older recordings, or those that sound a little thin it's a very helpful tool. Where other headphones will ruthlessly let the recording fall flat on its face the HD630VB says no, just turn this dial an we can make it sound a little better. What a great idea and well executed, having the dial rotate around the edge of the right can is genius.

Sound quality

As I said at the start I have nothing on hand to reference these against, well I do have a couple of pairs of £20 Sony's someone kindly brought for my kids a few years back, but the less said about these are better. No, all I can comment on is what I'm hearing and the effect it has on me. I know good audio as I've been selling it for 20+ years but headphones are not my area.

I've used a broad range of music, not so much searching for good test tracks but more going though my back catalog of favourites so I can enjoy listening to them again. That says a lot I think! One thing that is immediately apparent is the low end performance, god these things extend low! I can actually feel the headphones moving with some tracks, just awesome. In fact for Dance music in general these are great, not bass heavy as such just well suited to the presentation the genre deserves. Weighty, fast, detailed and open, but not bright. I've really enjoyed Adele's new single 'Hello', a remarkable track in its self but sounds fabulous on the 630s. The soundstage is wide with the instruments nicely layered and her wonderful voice just sores. Pink Floyd, The The, Dire Straits, Jurassic 5, Dr Dre etc. all sound great, never tiring and I find myself listening for longer and longer periods. Even turning the telly off in preference of listening to music, that's the first time I've done that since my kids arrived! 

When I first put them on I was very pleased and impressed, but I did think the top end was a little tight and the soundstage felt a tad restrained, but then again I'm pretty used to this with speakers when unboxed for the first time. They've probably had around 5-10h of play now and things have loosened up nicely. It's a long, long time since I listened to the HD600s but I remember them having a broader soundstage and better imaging, but for a closed back headphone the HD630s are remarkably good and the frequency response outstanding. I've read lots of good about the Oppo PM3 and some closed back Beyer models, I'd love to try them as well and would be remarkably impressed if they outperformed the HD630. Maybe they do? Not fussed one bit though as I'm very happy with these and will enjoy them for years, but I like to keep options open, I'm a cyclist and amongst them there's a universally agreed ownership equation of N+1...

To close. To put the HD630VB in the context of something I know a fair bit about, Hi-Fi, to mirror the performance you'd comfortably need to spend several thousand and would need a sub to get anywhere near that colossal bottom end. I've only heard a few speakers that can go that low on their own. I've heard better headphones but they were open back, so overall I'm rather impressed.

Ali.

Thanks for your impressions, @ASK1974 and @itsdp3

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Dec 30, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #403 of 737
Poor Pioneer they made two headphones, sub-$200, that use the variable bass style on the ear cup, including one dating back to 2012 and everybody acts like Sennheiser did something new here.  Very different headphone sound (warm/boomy) but the gimmick is essentially the same.

Personally I found the sub-bass as very average at best.  Even lacking to some degree.  But hey, there is more headphones that struggle with that, than there are headphones that do it well.  So good enough. 

Don't the JVC HASZ1000/2000 do it eventually? And they're less than half the price...

Dec 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #404 of 737
Sub bass? Yes jvc sz2000 is the king of sub bass when used with amp and eq. I love it for that. Way better than anything else. However....that's in my opinion the only thing its good at. I would never use the sz2000 for casual listening.

That said....I also have 630 vb. I'm not a big fan but its better than sz2000 for casual listening. Still....for the price....being bassy gimmicked. One would hope for a little better sub bass extension. It's OK. I've heard a lot better, I've also heard worse.

Dec 30, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #405 of 737
Okay... But are the JVC SZs THAT BAD with the rest of the freq range? What if you don't pump up the bass on your amp? Why would they call it LIVE BEAT or say, SPEAKERS in a HEADPHONE PACKAGE? If we were to choose, I mean I understand the portability of the JVCs would be funny, but still, would you not recommend them for casual listening? How about electronic music on the Senns vs. JVCs? Sorry for all these questions... Still trying to get something good AND save some money in the process. I just bought the Senn HD8 DJs so, can't siphon out even more for yet another Senns...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back