Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Dec 10, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #376 of 737
Hi everyone, I have a new review (sorta) of the 630VB up on youtube! 

This was fabulously weird. I can't say I'm big on the non-detachable cable - even the Hd598SE has a one :/ still it's the sound that matters most.

Dec 11, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #377 of 737
I find it wild that the (admittedly few) reviews online don't even reference the massive mid-scoop.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #379 of 737
I decided to get them on a whim.  I took some photos of the box, case, headphones, etc.  if anyone wants to see, if you want any photos of something specific let me know:  http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/1030750/sennheiser-hd630vb-box-headphone-photos/

I'm still listening to them and trying them out.  Not much info I can give at the moment beyond that they get very loud which the specs would indicate.  The bass control is rotary style around the ear cup as opposed to a built in circular dial in the ear cup like the Pioneers.  Same idea though.  Very comfortable despite being fairly large. 

I definitely need to listen to them longer before making any major opinions.  Out of the box, my initial impressions were it sounds good but not $500 good.  Not from an audiophile or basshead standpoint.  I need more time.  The bass dial is integrated nicely.  Sonically, the only thing on this level is the Beyerdynamic Custom series.  I do wonder if they have two drivers in there.  I don't know if anyone figured that out yet.

Dec 11, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #380 of 737
this might be a fun headphones if you turn this into an open-back and shove another headphones driver... while retaining the variable boost feature.
plus detachable cables mod.

SkullHeiser HDCrusherVB

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #381 of 737
  I decided to get them on a whim.  I took some photos of the box, case, headphones, etc.  if anyone wants to see, if you want any photos of something specific let me know:  http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/1030750/sennheiser-hd630vb-box-headphone-photos/

I'm still listening to them and trying them out.  Not much info I can give at the moment beyond that they get very loud which the specs would indicate.  The bass control is rotary style around the ear cup as opposed to a built in circular dial in the ear cup like the Pioneers.  Same idea though.  Very comfortable despite being fairly large. 

I definitely need to listen to them longer before making any major opinions.  Out of the box, my initial impressions were it sounds good but not $500 good.  Not from an audiophile or basshead standpoint.  I need more time.  The bass dial is integrated nicely.  Sonically, the only thing on this level is the Beyerdynamic Custom series.  I do wonder if they have two drivers in there.  I don't know if anyone figured that out yet.

I didn't realize these were released for sale. Would have expected a bit more fanfare. Where did you purchase them from?

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #382 of 737
They are available direct from Amazon in the U.S.A.  In addition to some marketplace sellers for the same price.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TLYRC8?keywords=sennheiser%20hd630vb&qid=1449869096&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1  

The Canadian Amazon has it listed as out of stock. 

They've gotten a lot of flack because they use the adjustable bass gimmick and some people hate the look.  There is also some people who are highly upset that Sennheiser put them in the HD family of Sennheiser headphones.  Also confusion as to what the headphone really is.  Is it for the bass loving crowd or the audiophile type crowd.  All that is amplified by the fact that they aren't cheap.

Dec 11, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #383 of 737
This was fabulously weird. I can't say I'm big on the non-detachable cable - even the Hd598SE has a one :/ still it's the sound that matters most.

That was a cool video....you don't see that every day.  I agree the cable should have been detachable.  It is made worse by the fact that the cable does create audible noise in the headphones when it is touched.  I think the video mentioned that.  At louder volumes, you can't hear it, the audio drowns it out easily.  But silence or really low volumes, it's noticeable. 

In fact, the whole design is odd and confusing.  The controls on the headphone cup, it's like they were considering making it Bluetooth and then decided against it.  Because I usually only see stuff like that on a Bluetooth headphone where it is necessary, not a wired one.  I think it's unnecessary, put the controls on the wire, like normal.  Cable is hard wired to the right side.  Right side is normal for Bluetooth headphones with a wired option.  But usually single cord wired headphones are on the left.  Not a big thing but odd is all. 

Audio for me is most important.  Added bass gimmick or not.  But I did find the design choices to be peculiar to say the least. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #384 of 737
I was big on this idea, especially adjustable bass (I wish all cans had this, including adjustable highs). Their weight is off-putting, the price is too. What I hear of them not being bass head at their highest setting isn't good. Isn't that the idea? Ideally they'd be bass light at minimum, for those that actually like that. Then balanced / neutral in the middle. At 3/4 they'd have a balanced bass boost that is still tight and audiophile. Full up they'd be bass head. Designing the bass control any other way doesn't make sense.

Non-detachable cable in a brand new from the ground up design, and expensive headphone? Honestly, their finding a way to get a closed (or semi-open) version of the HD650, with a bit more air on top and the ability to go from HD650 bass to a bigger sub bass (like the HD280) would be a winner, call it a HD675. I think they have missed a huge opportunity. Like Audio Quest's Night Hawks without the massive 1 khz dip. Some are calling these mid scooped. For Sennheiser, known for some of the best mids, this is sad.

Dec 13, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #385 of 737
There is different types of bassheads.  I hate to subdivide further.  But there is audiophile bassheads and extreme bassheads.  If you were to give these to an extreme basshead, they'd laugh.  If I were to give them to an audiophile basshead, I think they might just pass the test.  Everything is subjective in life, so opinions will vary.  I don't find these to be anywhere near Urbanite style boom.  Not at all.  More natural bass boost sound.  The overall sound quality is much better than Skullcrushers or Skullcandy Crushers.  The two variable Pioneer Headphones are extremely warm sounding with the slider all the way down.    Really the only thing they can be compared to is the Beyerdynamic Custom series.  Both sound quite a bit different but they both aim to truly have an analytical sound and a bassier sound.  While the other variable headphones to me were bassy even with the slider turned all the way down.  I agree the price seems too high for these.  I'm sure the price will drop by quite a bit over time.   

Eventually somebody will get a pair and compare to other Sennheisers and other variable headphones.  Give a better idea.  I don't have much experience with Sennheiser's HD series.  I briefly borrowed an HD600.  I am not an audiophile but to my memory, these sound nothing alike. 

Quote:
  I was big on this idea, especially adjustable bass (I wish all cans had this, including adjustable highs). Their weight is off-putting, the price is too. What I hear of them not being bass head at their highest setting isn't good. Isn't that the idea? Ideally they'd be bass light at minimum, for those that actually like that. Then balanced / neutral in the middle. At 3/4 they'd have a balanced bass boost that is still tight and audiophile. Full up they'd be bass head. Designing the bass control any other way doesn't make sense.

Non-detachable cable in a brand new from the ground up design, and expensive headphone? Honestly, their finding a way to get a closed (or semi-open) version of the HD650, with a bit more air on top and the ability to go from HD650 bass to a bigger sub bass (like the HD280) would be a winner, call it a HD675. I think they have missed a huge opportunity. Like Audio Quest's Night Hawks without the massive 1 khz dip. Some are calling these mid scooped. For Sennheiser, known for some of the best mids, this is sad.

Dec 14, 2015 at 1:56 AM Post #386 of 737
Hi all, first post and seems like a good time to step in. I've been tip-toeing around the idea of buying a decent pair of headphones for a while and took the decision to order a pair of HD630VB's, a blind decision as I haven't heard them and they should arrive Tuesday / Wednesday this week. A bit of background info...

I work in the AV industry, our company is an installer of Hi-End, residential, Multi-room systems and our commercial arm has an account with Sennheiser so I enjoy slightly reduced pricing. Headphones are not my area of expertise however I did enjoy a ten year stretch selling them (1995-2005) so I have a little knowledge, however this is the first time I've purchased a 'proper' pair for myself. My criteria is a high-end pair of closed back headphones to avoid leakage and allow the option to travel, they'll be used with my iPhone and iPad however I've also ordered an Arcam Music Boost (iPhone headphone amp & DAC), so mainly iPhone.

I love dance music, my late teens and early 20s spanned the early 90s and I spent way too much time clubbing. Whilst dance music is my favourite I enjoy a range of music but am I a bass head? No, but I enjoy good, low-end performance and neutral or bright Hi-Fi systems are not my thing. I love the Momentum's and was about to order a pair when I heard about the 630's, had a chat with Sennheiser and was suitably impressed with the specs / design intent to take the plung.

Posting now as I haven't received them so my opinion is not biased. Thought I'd set out my stall before they arrive so when I post up my thoughts there's a little background to reference. I'll be back in a few days.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #387 of 737
Posting now as I haven't received them so my opinion is not biased. Thought I'd set out my stall before they arrive so when I post up my thoughts there's a little background to reference. I'll be back in a few days.

Welcome to head-fi, sounds like you have a background on here a number of people,myself included, could relate to (was an electronic music DJ/promoter back in the 90s).

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. You mentioned you sold headphones for a decade. Did you get an opportunity to listen to any of the top end Sennheisers at the time such as the HD600?

Dec 14, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #388 of 737
Looking forward to hearing your impressions. You mentioned you sold headphones for a decade. Did you get an opportunity to listen to any of the top end Sennheisers at the time such as the HD600?

Oh yes, loved them, in fact the HD600 was the headphone that gave birth to my love of Sennheiser in general. We used to sell a lot of Sennheiser headphones (the HD580 particularly) and stocked a few Beyer models but the latter never really caught my attention. The HD580 was comfortable, good looking and sounded great.

But I can still remember the day we unboxed the first pair of HD600s to arrive, it felt like Christmas (probably was!), the packaging was beautiful, the headphones were beautiful and they sounded out of this world - best I'd ever put on my head by a comfortable margin. I used to love letting customers have a go, the look on their face when they hit 'play' was always one of pure amazement.

I've lusted after a decent pair of Sennheiser's ever since (about 15 years) but never got around to it. Then a few months back I bought a pair of Momentum 2's for my brother in-law, first time I put them on it reminded me of when I first tried the HD600s, thought they were awesome! Obviously the HD600s are better but the impression the Momentum's had on me was measurable. I was about to buy a pair for myself when the HD630s was announced, I think they look pretty cool / unusual but the design intent is what really caught my attention and I want a closed back design, can't wait for them to arrive and hoping against hope they aren't a disappointment. We'll find out soon enough! 

Dec 15, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #389 of 737
onitafmw55 said:
 There is different types of bass heads. Really the only thing they can be compared to is the Beyerdynamic Custom series.

I agree. The Beyers had great bass, but the less costly Pro series was boxy lacking clarity. Studio custom was far too scooped. The Urbanite was disappointing. The On Ear had good bass, but I don't like on-ears. The over ear was surprisingly bass light, with harsh, uncharacteristic highs for Sennheiser. The $100 HD558 sound far better in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back