Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
May 16, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #211 of 737
If I had a choice, I would just rather go for the momentum (gen 2, which i own and love for outdoor use) over 630VB...
The 2nd gen does have improvement over gen 1 (refined imaging and bigger soundstage, more balanced)... But hd630VB?
Sure, Maybe I could give a try, but It might require price drop in order to convince me and others.

The momentum was a quite success by senn, I should say, since it has the appealing look (average consumer looks at the stylish headphones nowadays) and good SQ/soundstage for closed back.
630VB is completely off-path headphones (minus the design as well, in my eyes).

May 16, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #212 of 737
I always found the Beyer pads to be completely round. Having owned the T70p and having tested a lot of the other full size Bayers including the T90.

I think the cross section of the foam within the Beyer pads is actually a circle, together with the microfiber surface it amounts to that I called donut-shaped above. I was trying to point out that the inner walls of the HD630 looked straight to me while the inner wall of the T90 pads does not -- nothing too important. I think the cross sectino of the Senn pads is rectangular.

Nevertheless I think the T90 is much more comfortable with its deeper microfiber pads with larger diameter, and better headband padding.

I don't want to comment too much as its simply not a headphone for me and my comments might therefore sound too negative overall.

May 16, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #213 of 737
I think the cross section of the foam within the Beyer pads is actually a circle, together with the microfiber surface it amounts to that I called donut-shaped above. I was trying to point out that the inner walls of the HD630 looked straight to me while the inner wall of the T90 pads does not -- nothing too important. I think the cross sectino of the Senn pads is rectangular.

Nevertheless I think the T90 is much more comfortable with its deeper microfiber pads with larger diameter, and better headband padding.

I don't want to comment too much as its simply not a headphone for me and my comments might therefore sound too negative overall.

Ok, now I got it with the doughnut shape.
To the Momentum 2 I can tell that it is indeed a very good closed headphone from Sennheiser. I have it myself since 2 weeks and like it very much. Only in very hot and humid weather I need to switch to my in ears, because of sweating underneath the Momentum 2 over ear earpads. The inside is vinyl, which does not absorb any sweat.

May 16, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #214 of 737

....or maybe the Visconti Blue Divina?!  Good to know I'm not the only headphone AND pen lover.  I was thinking I was the only one so badly cursed :wink:.

I was very interested in the PM-3.  I just dove into the AKG K712 after heavy considerations of the PM-3....

Mmmhh, Visconti... why do they have to be so expensive ;c

But I think you're good on the k712. For home use it's a safe choice (・ω・)b

He left at the age of 70, only to hand over the company to the next generation of the Sennheiser family. That should not have to do with this special headphone. That's just how life goes.

I remember an interview where he said that he didn't like the direction Sennheiser is taking now.
What a shame I can't find it anymore :/

Although I have to say you're right.
And as long as they're producing the HD650/800 I'm fine with the fun headphones.

It's just sad that we probably never see a second iteration of the HE-90 or HD800.

May 16, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #215 of 737
Nomax in Talk with Master Axel Grell from senni

My personal opinion about the HD630VB,its a another funny sounding headphone on the market

Regards Nomax

May 16, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #217 of 737
Even the Momentums and urbanites got that, why on earth does this require to be fixed?

Toy make it seem like the Urbanites and the Momentums are nothing but a piece of trash, when both are great headphones.

Also, not only I do like the desig, but I also find a little hypocrite that in this forum the ruling opinion tends to be "I don't care how it looks, I care how it sounds", yet here everybody is bashing its appearance.

I still think it's not a very good headphone features-wise for its heaviness and lack of a removable cable though.

May 16, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #218 of 737

Mmmhh, Visconti... why do they have to be so expensive ;c

But I think you're good on the k712. For home use it's a safe choice (・ω・)b

I remember an interview where he said that he didn't like the direction Sennheiser is taking now.
What a shame I can't find it anymore :/

Although I have to say you're right.
And as long as they're producing the HD650/800 I'm fine with the fun headphones.

It's just sad that we probably never see a second iteration of the HE-90 or HD800.

I wouldn't say that just yet...the Fatherbrand has been around for 70 years and if you read their annual reports from 2012 and 2013, you'll see they were still growing strong before they started "going pop."

I think the HD700 was basically intended to replace the HD600/650 in the long run (after all, its street price is trending to match the original price of the HD650, adjusted for inflation), the HD26 is a really awesome new addition to their lineup that represents a noticeable upgrade to the HD25 in all ways, and the new iterations of the Momentum are getting better every time. The new DJ cans are solid too - I think they get probably get passed up in favor of Momentums, M50x, HDJ2000, K267, UE6000, M100, etc. just because those cans get more attention on the web, but they are a good product IMO and haven't received the attention they deserve.

So yeah, they are making a few headphones that appeal more to mass market, but after the Beats revolution they'd be stupid not to - their investors would kill them O_O IMO what matters is that they're still making the good oldies while putting out quality new gear, and with as much love as the HD800 gets, I'm sure they will want to release a sequel eventually.

May 16, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #219 of 737

HD 630VC
tongue_smile.gif

May 16, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #220 of 737

So yeah, they are making a few headphones that appeal more to mass market, but after the Beats revolution they'd be stupid not to - their investors would kill them O_O IMO what matters is that they're still making the good oldies while putting out quality new gear, and with as much love as the HD800 gets, I'm sure they will want to release a sequel eventually.

Investors = Family owned but the Sennheiser family...Not saying that this makes it easier, family can be the most brutal shareholder/owner of them all :wink:

Cheers,
K

May 16, 2015 at 4:17 PM Post #222 of 737
Seems like a great set of cans for work.  I need a closed headphone (it's an open office), don't want to deal with a headphone amp, and need mic because I spend a significant amount of time video conferencing.  Wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the target market.

I can't find a 3.5mm to 2x3.5mm adapter to break out the microphone anywhere.  Does anyone know if these exist?

May 16, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #223 of 737

Investors = Family owned but the Sennheiser family...Not saying that this makes it easier, family can be the most brutal shareholder/owner of them all :wink:

Cheers,
K

Woops x_x Showing my industry greenness here I guess XD

But you're right, now that I think about it - I'd say if anything, the successful family-owned businesses I've known owners of are perhaps even more aggressive in their expectations of each other; I think it's kind of a compensatory reaction to the assumption that families/friends give each other privileges/special treatment. Gotta keep each other on your toes! And of course there's almost always the guarantee of reconciliation, either because of their connection or due to pressure from other family members, so they don't really hold back for each other's sake o_o

Also the CEO is not in the Sennheiser family and I'd just bet he shares profits somehow, so there's that too.

May 16, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #224 of 737
Sennheiser, if you're reading this here's the thing to do:  Since, at this point, so many (all?) people are using some kind or other computer as sources for music, your next headphones should include with it a free standalone quality eq app that will run on different platforms, including mobile.  Design it to have a "simple" mode, maybe a 10-band graphic eq with presets (Club Mode is my Fave!) and an "advanced" mode with 5 or more freq selectable parametric points with +-10db gain and adjustable q with good linearity.   

May 16, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #225 of 737
  Seems like a great set of cans for work.  I need a closed headphone (it's an open office), don't want to deal with a headphone amp, and need mic because I spend a significant amount of time video conferencing.  Wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the target market.

I can't find a 3.5mm to 2x3.5mm adapter to break out the microphone anywhere.  Does anyone know if these exist?

That's what I thought too, actually; I was originally considering the EL8s for this purpose, but I've decided I don't want an Audeze til I can afford the X or XC ^_^ so beautiful...plus no mic. Idk though, I'm a stickler for removable cables...we shall see! Maybe I'll check out the Senn booth at FA today...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back