Sennheiser HD 600 / 650 Room Noise
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LowRent

New Head-Fier
[size=10pt]I did search for this information, but didn’t find it. I probably didn’t use the best search terms, but I didn’t know what else to do.[/size]

[size=10pt]I just purchased the Schiit Valhalla and Sen HD 650 for my office at work.  My question pertains to how loud the cans are for others in the room.  At times, our office is like a library.  Will my listening disturb others around me?  On the flip side of the coin, how well will I be able to hear others if I don’t have any signal to the cans?[/size]

[size=medium]Thanks in advance for your help.[/size]

Aug 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 16
Heya,

You can fill a quiet room with open headphones. They're little speakers with nothing stopping the sound from pouring out.
You will hear everything going on when there's no music playing. They're open air.

Really for an office, a closed headphone would have been more polite and private.

Very best,

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #5 of 16
I have conflicting goals:
1. Be able to hear local conversations &/or hear someone call my name.​
2. Not disturb others around me when I listen at typical work levels (generally low).​

Based on what I know now I'll just have to wait and see how this combo works for my needs in my situation.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 16
Unless you listen music at really low volume levels...it shouldn't be a problem. 

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Totally depends on what sort of environment.  I'm in an open plan office - about 30 people on the floor.  I regularly use my Beyers - sometimes even my Grados.  Secret is not to have them too loud.  My nearest co-workers are about 10 ft away - and they don't hear them over the ambient noise.

It would be different if you were in a library or a very quiet office environment.

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
The mornings can be pretty quiet, but they're not always quiet. The afternoons typically have more noise. I suspect I'll be fine, but I'll have to try everything out.

Only one thing, don't get excited too much with the music. When it happens, we usually turn the volume up. 
tongue.gif

Aug 30, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 16
.....errr are u the....B...O...S...S    ??

beerchug.gif

Aug 31, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 16
Hi,

There is one thing you can do but may sound stupid. Play some of you favorite music at a volume you like and then clip the headphone to you thigh. This will give you a pretty good idea what others will hear in close distance. I did the same before. (I tired to ask around too. Often people are too nice to tell me even if i blow up the office.)

Happy listening.

Aug 31, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #14 of 16
Open headphones aren't that loud at all. Others will notice if you're cranking it. Medium volume to you will sound quiet to someone five feet away.

If your office is really noisy, you might be dissatisfied, meaning the noise will interfere with your audio experience, but I'm sure since you're using this in an office setting, you're not going for that full audio-nirvana experience anyway. It might even be better for your situation because you'll be able to hear your co-workers when they need you, since there isn't a seal at all.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Hi,
There is one thing you can do but may sound stupid. Play some of you favorite music at a volume you like and then clip the headphone to you thigh. This will give you a pretty good idea what others will hear in close distance. I did the same before. (I tired to ask around too. Often people are too nice to tell me even if i blow up the office.)
Happy listening.

That's a good idea.  I can do it at various times of day to try to determine the overall impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back