Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Feb 13, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #1,036 of 1,133
And the beyerdynamic? Ah man, they're not even the same league. Pleeeeeaaaassssssse brother. I think... And I tried the 770Pro... I think the beyers you're talking about will KILL THE HD8s, and then feed them to the dog. And then kill the dog. And then feed them to a cat... and they'll kill that cat... and feed that to the rats. So other than, maybe, the chunky looks of the beyers, the senn hd8 could be better looking and more stylish of the two. But as a GOOD, COMFORTABLE headphone with the right SOUND... the BT-1770 is so much superior, you can't even compare. One last thing. The BTs are MADE IN GERMANY. That's just awesome. Now the HD8s aren't really... MADE IN GERMANY. It says MADE IN CHINA. People do suggest that maybe they're just assembled in China and parts may still be shipped from Germany or something, but I'm still not sure. Maybe it doesn't matter so much, but I was... taken aback. I really wanted them to be just MIG.

I have the senns btw. and not the beyers. And I can still tell u all this. Now let that sink in.

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #1,037 of 1,133
The Sennheiser are very different from the Beyerdynamic besides the clamp loosens up after some usage. The HD8/7 are a but more on the bassy side of things while the HD6 is more neutralish.

The build quality is pretty spot on, at least on the HD8 since the HD7 and the HD6 use a bit more plastic. The Beyer still has that Beyer treble which can be problematic for those not fond of sibilant headphones.

Feb 15, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #1,038 of 1,133
But the HD8s are darker than the M50x. The ATH are bright in a good way. They sound sweet and have that critical listening part too. I don't hate the HD8s. But the Beyers might just be better overall. They're pricier too so. And I think the best looking beyers... I like the parts where the forks terminate. Better than their other pairs and even better looking than V-Modas... the end parts at least. Plus I'm sure they must have an excellent sound-stage with bass... combining these two is often a tough one. It's always either bass or spacious sound-stage. But the beyers do it nicely... I mean I heard their 770Pro and that was awesome sounding so this is an elder brother and must be better. Nonetheless, it's very important... even I ignore this at times... but if you're spending this much of cash, it's imperative to TRY before you BUY so. I recommend the dude who asked to at least make sure he TRIES all options first and then buys. BTW I've heard that not all beyers have sibilant highs. Just some. I could be wrong cuz I didn't try many. But like, the 990Pro kills the ears with sibilance, so I've heard. The 770 however was very laid back and nice to my ears.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #1,039 of 1,133
  Brainwavz HM5s are worth a try.  I'm going to try it now and seehear how the sound changes now that you've given me the idea.

HM5s will fit securely as the cups are a little bigger than the opening on the back of each earpad.

Hi i'm currently looking for a new headphone i have the sennheiser hd555. I try'd the hd6 and 7 (and some other headphones) but i liked the sennheiser sound the most.
The "only" problem i had with the hd7 is that it was not nearly as comfortable as mine hd55.
Can any tell me if there are better (bigger) earpads that will fit and if the clamping force can be streched?

Greets.
Raymond.

Feb 26, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #1,040 of 1,133
I'd actually just go ahead and recommend to you the audio technica m50x right here. I have both the ath AND the hd8 dj and I much prefer the cheaper and better sounding ath. You just can't go wrong with that. I had much high hopes from this but well. Isolation is pretty damn good but overall, these could've been much better. But before I go there, what do u really need? Thesea and... the hd555 are an entirely different league. Those are open backs. More soundstage and atmosphere and less bass. Whereas these are closed back. Monitoring and bass. Very narrow and closed soundstage. You need to first figure out what ur looking for. Those sennheisers and then those beyerdynamics are always going to be more comfy. Though gotta say this hd DJ series is the worst in comfort ever. So look at your requirements and then decide. (Hint: just get the m50x though)

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #1,041 of 1,133
The HD series has oval ear fitting pads, padded headbands and fully adjustable cups. If they are uncomfortable, it's because you are not adjusting them accordingly.

The M50 doesn't hold a candle to the technical proficiency, it's a V shaped sound with scratchy treble. The Sennheiser have much higher quality drivers and it shows. Of course they are pricier but the M50 isn't even in the same league.

Feb 27, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #1,042 of 1,133
Well I don't know about the HD6 or the HD7. I assumed that the hd8 may just be similar and better. If it is not too colored just like the HD6 or HD7, then I stick to my opinion. Though then you'd say that the 6 and 7 are better than 8. If they're no better than 6 or 7 then well... m50x is the one. I really wanted to love the hd8. I really really did. But to me sound wise the m50x is still way better. At least from the hd8. Go ahead. Demo them back to back if u can. You may just agree.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #1,043 of 1,133
That's a nice word salad, care to translate it into English?

You don't know anything about the HD6/7 and ASSUME that the HD8 is colored. I have all three right now with me and rest assured, the HD 6 is neutralish, HD7 is the best for bass and the HD8 is more bass/mid heavy.

Once again, comparing the HD6/7/8 to the M50 is comparing a properly tuned guitar to banging a pan with a wooden spoon.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #1,044 of 1,133
Hey dont take it personally. Bottomline is, I have both the hd8 and m50 and I still like the m50 more, for the sound. Plus it's still cheaper. Its an all round winner. The praise is for real. But hey, that's just me. Guess it really is everyone is for himself. Another very subjective discussion.

Feb 27, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,045 of 1,133
Nothing personal but should be giving advice on something you haven't heard?

The biggest reason for suggesting the Sennheiser over the Audio Technica is the driver quality. If you want to recommend something from Audio Technica, get the WS1100. The M50 is just not in the same league and the bigger drivers of the WS1100 can push air or maybe the WS99 if you're on a budget.

Feb 27, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #1,046 of 1,133
No but they are the same league. All are monitor/DJ class. Plus, driver sizes... I don't fall for anymore really. If it's about drivers, then may as well get the $30 American Audio HP550/770 as they have 57mm drivers. Even Bluedios have 57mm drivers. But then, the HD600/650 have 40mm drivers. It's about the whole package. And I did listen to the HD DJ Flagship (the HD8) and the M50. I am coming from somewhere. That is what I said earlier. If however, the HD7 or HD6 are better than HD8, I can't say and that's another discussion. Though the HD8 sure don't sound better to me than the M50.

I mean the whole point of the gentleman asking us for an opinion is if we can give it honestly. What's the point in just recommending something that's more luxurious and pricey if in the end it can't really justify it's price-point. And then, to almost all of us, the most, UTMOST important thing... is fidelity and the sound. Plus, I just hate the clamping force on the HD8s. For Sennheisers, these are the worst in comfort. They numb my ears after just a few minutes. I don't know, maybe they wanted super passive noise reduction, which they do. Nothing is as good in isolation. I admit. But the tradeoff in pain and discomfort is just too much.

Hey, do tell me how to improve the clamping force in any way. I'm just downright pissed...

BTW I just got Takstars Hi2050. I know, you must hate me to highlight those here, but I'm enjoying them more than any of these Sennheisers or V-Modas or Audio Technicas. For under $50, they've done something monumental. They are full of bass (for open ears, damn) and everything else. The only tradeoff there is non-portability, and sound leakage. The whole house will be listening in onto them. Otherwise, best bang for the buck, ever. Awesome soundstage.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #1,047 of 1,133
Hi, Thanks for the reply. i did try the m50(x) overall the sound was oke but i liked the sound of the hd7 more mostly because the treble was a bit to harsh on the m50 and comfort wise the m50. I can get the hd7 for 180 so its only 30 euro more than the m50 that is not the problem. The biggest thing for me was the comfort. Still looking for a good headphone in comfort and sound (nice comfort like the hd555 and punchy bass like the hd7) guess they dont exist :frowning2:

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #1,048 of 1,133
  No but they are the same league. All are monitor/DJ class. Plus, driver sizes... I don't fall for anymore really. If it's about drivers, then may as well get the $30 American Audio HP550/770 as they have 57mm drivers. Even Bluedios have 57mm drivers. But then, the HD600/650 have 40mm drivers. It's about the whole package. And I did listen to the HD DJ Flagship (the HD8) and the M50. I am coming from somewhere. That is what I said earlier. If however, the HD7 or HD6 are better than HD8, I can't say and that's another discussion. Though the HD8 sure don't sound better to me than the M50.

I mean the whole point of the gentleman asking us for an opinion is if we can give it honestly. What's the point in just recommending something that's more luxurious and pricey if in the end it can't really justify it's price-point. And then, to almost all of us, the most, UTMOST important thing... is fidelity and the sound. Plus, I just hate the clamping force on the HD8s. For Sennheisers, these are the worst in comfort. They numb my ears after just a few minutes. I don't know, maybe they wanted super passive noise reduction, which they do. Nothing is as good in isolation. I admit. But the tradeoff in pain and discomfort is just too much.

Hey, do tell me how to improve the clamping force in any way. I'm just downright pissed...

BTW I just got Takstars Hi2050. I know, you must hate me to highlight those here, but I'm enjoying them more than any of these Sennheisers or V-Modas or Audio Technicas. For under $50, they've done something monumental. They are full of bass (for open ears, damn) and everything else. The only tradeoff there is non-portability, and sound leakage. The whole house will be listening in onto them. Otherwise, best bang for the buck, ever. Awesome soundstage.

Now looking at the Takstar HI2050 they look a lot like Beyerdynamic dt 770. Maybe they wil sound good with a equalizer (use them on my pc with a soundcard)

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #1,049 of 1,133

Now looking at the Takstar HI2050 they look a lot like Beyerdynamic dt 770. Maybe they wil sound good with a equalizer (use them on my pc with a soundcard)

Yeah they're ripoffs. But one hell of a ripoff. Sure, I used PowerAmp on my android and I don't need an amp for them. Even with a dedicated sound-card, they will surely sound nice.

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,050 of 1,133
  Hi, Thanks for the reply. i did try the m50(x) overall the sound was oke but i liked the sound of the hd7 more mostly because the treble was a bit to harsh on the m50 and comfort wise the m50. I can get the hd7 for 180 so its only 30 euro more than the m50 that is not the problem. The biggest thing for me was the comfort. Still looking for a good headphone in comfort and sound (nice comfort like the hd555 and punchy bass like the hd7) guess they dont exist :frowning2:

As I mentioned previously, the M50 has harsh treble that is often mistaken for clarity.

If you can amp the HD7 with a JDS C5, no more complaints about bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back