Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Feb 1, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #1,023 of 1,133
Brainwavz HM5s are worth a try.  I'm going to try it now and seehear how the sound changes now that you've given me the idea.

HM5s will fit securely as the cups are a little bigger than the opening on the back of each earpad.

Feb 6, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #1,025 of 1,133
Hello to everyone,

Just made this account after reading most of the thread concerning Senn's new line of hs.

I'm an amateur bedroom producer and have been so for around 7 years or so. I haven't invested in music equipment like others have and all my "work" was done on a (low-end) PC coupled with a pair of headphones. Now the headphones were all i ever needed and up until now,when my old pair showed signs of aging. 

My question is : would the HD7's be decent for producing/low-level mastering and monitoring,afterwards? Up until now,i also used a dedicated DJ pair of hp...the RP-DJ700's...they served their purpose more then perfect (as far as i'm concerned). I decided to go with Sennheiser although i have 0 experience with them. One friend of mine has a Momentum model of theirs and he was quite impressed but he's far from being an audiophile or experienced enough to issue an objective opinion. I tend to become over-zealous when i have to replace electronic equipment and i went ahead and already bought the HD7's...have them for 2 days and only today have i plugged them in my computer and auditioned some samples/VST generated sounds...i did notice a lack of high's. The bass is kinda the same as it was on the RP-DJ700's while the mid's are way more powerful and present. Should i keep them and move on,adapting to what i have,like i did with the old ones or should i try to get them replaced with another model....something more suited for this kind of work? 

I don't need them for day-by-day music listening,have that segment covered. They also won't be used to watch movies/tv shows...music making is their whole intended purpose,nothing more.

Cheers and thank you!

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #1,026 of 1,133
Should i keep them and move on,adapting to what i have,like i did with the old ones or should i try to get them replaced with another model....something more suited for this kind of work?   
I don't need them for day-by-day music listening,have that segment covered. They also won't be used to watch movies/tv shows...music making is their whole intended purpose,nothing more.

Cheers and thank you!

The HD7 and 8 have been tuned for DJ use but possibly not ideal for production but... the treble does become a little more crisp after a little burn in . The HD6 may be better but I would say, in the sennheiser range - the HD25, HD380 or HD600 would be good as they have a flatter response.

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #1,027 of 1,133
Thank you for your reply.

Where i live,the HD600's are above my budget range (they cost ~430 dollars). Got the HD7's for around ~230 dollars and,as we speak,they have ~24 hours of almost continous playback (trying the burn-in method without actually listening to the hp's...only once every 3-4 hours,so to not fall prey to the brain burn-in). 

The HD25 and HD380 are almost nowhere to be found (i'm limited to local Romanian stores) and i learned (the hard way) to avoid no-name shops (ordered from a semi-unknown one and received 2 potatoes...literally). And yes,you are right...after picking them up and giving them a listen...i do notice the high as well as the mids are a tad more....not necessary crisp but more present,if i may. 

By the way,i don't intend to stick to Sennheiser,if these turn out to be not-so-great for producing. I do have a 10-day window with a no-questions asked return policy. I guess i should pick a project up and try to work on it...i really love how well they isolate the ambient-noise/sound and they are perfect fit for my ears. 

Feb 6, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #1,028 of 1,133
I'm an amateur music producer much like yourself and I wouldn't use the hd7 for any of it. Like you I found the treble much too rolled off. They do that to minimise fatigue when DJs crank the volume up. I had the hd6 which I found were OK for mixing but nothing much else. They also had the top end rolled off a lot.
I was originally using the Sony mdr-7510 which are a great all rounder for the price. The ear cups on those were a little cramped for me so I moved onto the ultrasone hfi-680 which also work very well while being more comfortable. Right now I'm using the beyerdynamic custom studio which I find very good for all tasks while being amazingly comfortable.
The ath-m50x, shure srh840 & Yamaha mt220 are some other cans I've used a really liked.

Feb 6, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #1,029 of 1,133
My other (available) options are :

-AKG K550
-Audio-Technica ATH-A700X
-Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X
-Audio-Technica ATH-AD900
-Audio-Technica ATH-ANC9 (though i doubt these are fit for bedroom producing,due to numerous factors)
-Sennheiser RS-180
-Soundmagic HP-150
-Soundmagic HP-200 (this is a tad over my budget)
-Yamaha Pro400
-Yamaha Pro500 (the same as with the HP-200,a tad over my budget)
-JBl Synchros S500
-MAGNAT LZR 980  (edited to add these)

These are most of the more (in my opinion) decent hs i could possibly swap the HD7's for. Most retailers here are selling stuff like Beats,Phillips (consumer,not prosumer),Sony (again,consumer stuff) and a bunch of other consumer oriented models/brands. For example,i can barely find any Beyerdynamic products...and those are sold by sites which reek "scam" all over them,sadly. 

Does any of the models cited above can be considered a decent studio monitoring hs? 

P.S. There is a SLIGHT chance of me keeping the HD7's...if by this time tomorrow morning i'll sense any change then the whole burn-in method has yielded results and i might actually give them a try. Although it's quite a heavy task to not place them on my head and just leave them there,playing music.

Feb 7, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,030 of 1,133
K550 and the Soundmagic headphones are the only ones that may be close from that list.  Probably the HP-150.

Feb 8, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #1,031 of 1,133
The HD7's kinda opened up on the highs...just enough to sense a difference,albeit not that huge but it's there. I called the shop and asked for a return and an exchange with the K550's ... after reading/watching so many reviews,i think those are the best studio monitor hs i can get. At least without diving way over my budget. Still,as strange as it may sound...the HD7's have...dunno,something that makes me wanna keep them. I may be crazy but i really don't know why :).

Thank you all for your advice,it was greatly appreciated!

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,032 of 1,133
We call it "new toy syndrome".  It eventually wears off, and after a good amount of use, you will know if you truly want to keep it.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #1,034 of 1,133
people who have HD8 DJ please answer ,

is this a comfortable headphone ? comfort is my first priority in buying headphones !

i already have a denon d2000 , do you think HD8 is gonna be less comfortable ?

and what about beyerdynamic 1770p ? is it more comfortable than HD8 DJ ?

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,035 of 1,133
people who have HD8 DJ please answer ,

is this a comfortable headphone ? comfort is my first priority in buying headphones !

i already have a denon d2000 , do you think HD8 is gonna be less comfortable ?

and what about beyerdynamic 1770p ? is it more comfortable than HD8 DJ ?

Oh im so glad you asked. Comfortable you ask. Ah man. Hardly. The clamping force is so bad... so bad... they're revengeful. They don't sound so bad. But I don't know why lately I've actually been enjoYing my athm50x more than these senns. They're well made and the isolation is the best like ever. But comfort is the last thing on their mind. Plus the pads are such it's hard to use any other ones. You... please try them first. I didn't and now I wonder abt my decision. There's hardly you can change. Pads most of all. The mechanism is such that I haven't been able to resolve this issue myself and indeed this is the most important one for me. Try them out first. Thank me later. And do look into other considerations. If u already have the ath, I don't think you'll be impressed much with anything else than the design and the isolation. The outer parts of the forks are metal. Inner parts plastic. Good but still plactic. Cups plastic. Wires too damn long so I'm using aftermarket. And that's a bit flimsy. If u want photos of what I'm talking about I'll gladly share. On demand though.

They have some eq issues too. I for one actually skipped the Pioneer hdj2000s 4 these. Now I wonder about my judgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back