Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Jun 21, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #796 of 1,133

It's a little bigger than the momentum. His hands are just huge I think. 

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #797 of 1,133
Due to the mixed impressions, I'm eager to try 6, 7, & 8, especially 6.

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #798 of 1,133
It's all perspective. My hands are perfectly average-sized, lol. And the DJ8 pads should be large enough to comfortably fit around all but the largest ears.

Jun 23, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #800 of 1,133
Jun 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #801 of 1,133
hey all, gonna see if I can avoid making a new thread for this question: which *open back* headphones do you think are the most similar sounding (in terms of sound signature) to the HD8 DJ’s (or IE80’s)?

After owning the HD8 DJ for a few months, and the IE80’s for a couple of years, the two have my favorite sound sig of anything else I’ve tried/owned in the past (Sony MDR-1R, Etymotic ER-4, UE TF10, UE SF5 Pro, Shure SE215, SE535, and even the IE800)…well there is one that’d I’d say I like just as much as (perhaps more?) than the IE80/HD8 DJ and that is a universal demo of the UM Merlin.

Of particular noteworthiness, is the HD600, which I found to be too lacking in bass for my liking. I’ve read that the HD650 is basically a bassier HD600 but unfortunately I haven’t found the chance to give it a listen yet.

I had a chance to really briefly try out the HD800 at an airport once a few years ago, I remembered being “impressed" by it but conditions were far from ideal so for all intents and purposes, I don’t have a clear memory of the exact sound sig (so if anyone has listened to both the HD8 DJ’s and the HD800/700/650, your input would be super helpful). Although from what I’ve read about the HD800 on this site, I have a feeling it probably won’t be bassy enough for me?

I’m not limiting my options to Sennheiser by any means (I just figured since my fav IEM and closed back are Senn’s, that seemed like a good place to look for an open back I like)

Jun 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #802 of 1,133
  hey all, gonna see if I can avoid making a new thread for this question: which *open back* headphones do you think are the most similar sounding (in terms of sound signature) to the HD8 DJ’s (or IE80’s)?

After owning the HD8 DJ for a few months, and the IE80’s for a couple of years, the two have my favorite sound sig of anything else I’ve tried/owned in the past (Sony MDR-1R, Etymotic ER-4, UE TF10, UE SF5 Pro, Shure SE215, SE535, and even the IE800)…well there is one that’d I’d say I like just as much as (perhaps more?) than the IE80/HD8 DJ and that is a universal demo of the UM Merlin.

Of particular noteworthiness, is the HD600, which I found to be too lacking in bass for my liking. I’ve read that the HD650 is basically a bassier HD600 but unfortunately I haven’t found the chance to give it a listen yet.

I had a chance to really briefly try out the HD800 at an airport once a few years ago, I remembered being “impressed" by it but conditions were far from ideal so for all intents and purposes, I don’t have a clear memory of the exact sound sig (so if anyone has listened to both the HD8 DJ’s and the HD800/700/650, your input would be super helpful). Although from what I’ve read about the HD800 on this site, I have a feeling it probably won’t be bassy enough for me?

I’m not limiting my options to Sennheiser by any means (I just figured since my fav IEM and closed back are Senn’s, that seemed like a good place to look for an open back I like)

Open backs are never going to sound like these but the only things I can think of are
Philips Fidelio X1, and Hifiman HE-300 & 400. I haven't tried them but they are supposed to be bassy. 

I think your best bet is the Fidelio X1.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #803 of 1,133
Another observation I had today (while listening to "The Faceless", "Akeldama"). The HD8s do great with extreme metal (death, black, and the like) for many of the same reasons they do great with EDM -- effortless bass and bass control, clarity, and precision. Once you transition from extreme into mainstream or progressive metal, and into rock and other instrumental genres, though, then audiophile cans take over (soundstage, imaging, detail).

Jun 24, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #805 of 1,133
Jun 25, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #806 of 1,133
Open backs are never going to sound like these but the only things I can think of are
Philips Fidelio X1, and Hifiman HE-300 & 400. I haven't tried them but they are supposed to be bassy. 

I think your best bet is the Fidelio X1.

I was actually between X1 and 400's when I was searching for a new open back set. Went with the X1's after plenty of research and I couldn't be happier! Crystal clear and plenty of bass. I've actually had my eye on HD8's as my go to portable but jumped on some Momentums first. Hoping to add some HD8's soon tho

Jun 26, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #807 of 1,133
Every day these HD8s are impressing me more and more in their preferred hunting grounds. I've been going back through my 20-year collection of electronic music, and everything sounds new again on these incredible cans. Spicelab from 1994 (by the immortal Oliver Lieb -- smashing acid trance), Omni Trio, old Eye-Q Records compilations, long-forgotten classics like Hardkiss "Delusions of Grandeur". How many of today's DJs even know this stuff exists? Sigh...

(*$@&$# hell, am I really that old now?)

Jun 26, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #809 of 1,133
How do the HD7's compare to the V-MODA M-100?
I've demoed the M-100 many times and all I can say is that the hd7's have more bass, but better mids IMO.

Jun 26, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #810 of 1,133
  Every day these HD8s are impressing me more and more in their preferred hunting grounds. I've been going back through my 20-year collection of electronic music, and everything sounds new again on these incredible cans. Spicelab from 1994 (by the immortal Oliver Lieb -- smashing acid trance), Omni Trio, old Eye-Q Records compilations, long-forgotten classics like Hardkiss "Delusions of Grandeur". How many of today's DJs even know this stuff exists? Sigh...

(*$@&$# hell, am I really that old now?)

I'm right there with you, I keep looking in the mirror saying 'i still look young, a little less hair'. I still drop a few old school tracks when I play out stuff from R&S Records, Transmat, Tresor.My friend brought down Hardkiss for a warehouse party in the '90. Actually that last sentence pretty much sums up the '90s for me. 

I mostly played chill-out rooms and promoted parties:

Oh, to be a bit on topic, I would love to try out the HD series, but I'm still addicted to the HD-25. Anyone have both care to compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back