Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Mar 30, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #631 of 1,133
  I'm trying to decide between the HD8, and the Shure SRH1540. Can anyone tell me anything between these two? After all the reviews, I've found that for the largest part, they have a similiar sound, with the treble on the HD8 being just a but flatter. But also 120 less?

hd8 are more expensive because you pay extra for EXTRA durability, reliability and EXTRA accessories...AND they are great acctualy.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #632 of 1,133
Extra for durability and reliability? These are two things that are very very hard to compare for these two headphones since they've only been out for, at the oldest, six months for the srh1540. I would choose a magnesium frame over aluminum ANYDAY. If you're referring to the durability of the drivers, that's also very hard to debate on, once again because of how new, for the HD8 at least, these headphones are. Cables and other accessories are just fluff, as both include spares of included accessories. My primary concern is the sound of the HD8 compared to the SRH1540, and if they're even comparable. From everything I've read and seen, you're right. They are great. I've for sure chosen the HD8.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #633 of 1,133
I asked the same question earlier in this thread. From what I can gather, the Shures are still more of a reference, audiophile headphone with a slightly biased low end. The Senns are definitely more of a DJ headphone with punchier dynamics. I'm personally leaning toward the Shures. That's all I can gather without actually listening to then, though...

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #634 of 1,133
Can't be bothered searching through this entire thread...but- are there any differences between the 3 models aside from build quality? IE do they sound different? Apologies if this has been covered.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #635 of 1,133
Extra for durability and reliability? These are two things that are very very hard to compare for these two headphones since they've only been out for, at the oldest, six months for the srh1540. I would choose a magnesium frame over aluminum ANYDAY. If you're referring to the durability of the drivers, that's also very hard to debate on, once again because of how new, for the HD8 at least, these headphones are. Cables and other accessories are just fluff, as both include spares of included accessories. My primary concern is the sound of the HD8 compared to the SRH1540, and if they're even comparable. From everything I've read and seen, you're right. They are great. I've for sure chosen the HD8.

I look at it from a DJ point of view. And that's why I believe that HD8 are better than srh1540...more sturdy and with better accesories. but of course for a year or two we'll check how it is with this durability. I am sure it will be fine but...

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #636 of 1,133
  I look at it from a DJ point of view. And that's why I believe that HD8 are better than srh1540...more sturdy and with better accesories. but of course for a year or two we'll check how it is with this durability. I am sure it will be fine but...

While sturdiness and included accessories are good things to take into account, I feel like it's an odd way of comparing these headphones. The HD8 are DJ headphones. They are meant to be taken from place to place, worked hard, stretched half-on half-off your head. Of course they're more durable—isn't that a big selling point of DJ headphones?

In contrast, while the Shures are certainly well-built, they're meant for home and studio use. I can't help but feel like that's a big difference in durability requirement.

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #637 of 1,133
  Can't be bothered searching through this entire thread...but- are there any differences between the 3 models aside from build quality? IE do they sound different? Apologies if this has been covered.

The HD8 DJ have more bass impact I found personally, and because of that I bought them over the 7s. Plus better build quality (although I have noticed they squeak a lot). Awesome pair of cans and by far the best I've heard under 300 GBP (I enjoy a bassy sound signature with bright, but not harsh, highs and good mids).

Apr 1, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #638 of 1,133

You could just read the discussions after my measurements:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/699827/sennheiser-hd-6-7-8-dj-appreciation-thread-opinions-reviews-feedback-pics-discussions-etc/360#post_10290002

Apr 1, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #639 of 1,133
  The HD8 DJ have more bass impact I found personally, and because of that I bought them over the 7s. Plus better build quality (although I have noticed they squeak a lot). Awesome pair of cans and by far the best I've heard under 300 GBP (I enjoy a bassy sound signature with bright, but not harsh, highs and good mids).

But the HD8 doesn't have bright highs? O_o

Apr 1, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #642 of 1,133
Hi guys,

I saw a review recently on these headphones and was wondering if I might purchase these.

I already own some pair of Ultrasone Pro 550's and Vmoda m100. The Ultrasone ones are for home use (with asus essence stx soundcard) and they have great sound. Vmoda is for my Nexus 5 on the road.

Should I get the HD8 DJ? I like bass but the music has to stay clear. I mainly listen to house/techno with some pop now and then.

Apr 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #643 of 1,133
Thanks for the responses. I might wait until I can audition the HD6's. The 7 and 8 cost more than I want to pay for headphones. Anyone have any impression of the 6's compared to the other 2 models?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back