Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Mar 6, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #541 of 1,133
Here's a better view to ignore compensation differences, first look at HD25 vs HD600.

Then my graph of HD vs HD600.

HD25 has the usual "sparkly" peak at ~9-10k which HD6/7/8 lack. So yes they are somewhat "dull" if you are used to that. But they can be played loud without piercing your ears. And um of course the bass is much more boosted so..

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:25 AM Post #542 of 1,133
  Here's a better view to ignore compensation differences, first look at HD25 vs HD600.

Then my graph of HD vs HD600.

HD25 has the usual "sparkly" peak at ~9-10k which HD6/7/8 lack. So yes they are somewhat "dull" if you are used to that. But they can be played loud without piercing your ears.

The HD600 is probably slightly too high up aligned here should be noticed, I had aligned it roughly 3dB lower or following the 90 amplitude line pretty much (it looks a bit brighter in comparison than it really is).

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #543 of 1,133

The HD600 is probably slightly too high up aligned here should be noticed, I had aligned it roughly 3dB lower or following the 90 amplitude line pretty much (it looks a bit brighter in comparison than it really is).

Well ~3dB or so still is pretty unmeaningful there, but to me the alignment is fine.. my in-ear hrtf measurements seem to boost the ~6k mid region a lot anyway, just have a look at my HD800 graph..

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #544 of 1,133
  Where are you seeing the HD7 for $190 on B&H?  I see a $30 mail in rebate which drops the price to $299.95. 

Thats weird.  All day yesterday it said $190.  It even said it in an advertisement. I might have just missed out on taking advantage of an awesome mistake by B&H. 

You're not going crazy, I saw them for $190 at B&H as well on sunday morning. I couldn't justify the purchase however as I had already bought the HD8s... though I suppose it would have been smart to buy and then sell them sealed for the actual MSRP. Oh well, I guess that's why I'm not a successful entrepreneur...

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #545 of 1,133
I would like to make a super solid recommendation. If you are the following:

U listen to these headphones mostly as portables.
U use apple products as your main portable

Audioforge that eq works miracles in eq adjustments. I know I sound line an add but simply because I hear no distortion anywhere unless I over do it. It is extremely easy to get the ideal sound you like and you can eq any part of the FR.

Mar 6, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #546 of 1,133
The fit on the HD8 is a bit tricky.
The cups move a lot so it takes some time to find the perfect fit (it's not like putting on DT770, done). But when you finally got it, it's great - best isolation on a HP so far.
Funny thing, the clamp force is pretty strong, but the cups are quite comfortable, so after 3h non stop I feel very little fatigue (but coming from the gorgeous DT770 probably everything will fatigue you
wink.gif

Regarding the fit.. I actually thought that either the HD8s I had received were defective or utter crap as the points of articulation were unevenly pressing the headphone so I wasn't getting a proper seal behind my ear. Bass was hardly there and the treble was a bit much. The opamps I was using in my PB2 seemed to exacerbate the issue as well. 

They sound great now. I have just started using the velour pads and in the limited exposure I've had I think I may stick with them. The bass is reduced a little but IMO it thickens the sound a bit and tames the treble. But we'll see, we're still in the honeymoon phase and I'm sure other downsides will show up down the road. 

I will say that when I received them I was shocked to note how small they were. I don't know why I felt they would be bigger. And to throw a little salt in with my sugar I do wish the articulated points weren't quite so floppy and the earpads were a bit bigger. They are just barely a good fit. And I'm pretty sure they can't be balanced without opening up the cups and rewiring them... that sucks.

Mar 6, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #547 of 1,133
Hi guys,

I must say this has been an amazing thread for our new DJ products. I know there are some who may still have unanswered questions so I was wondering if there's any interest in asking the product manager directly. I'm thinking of starting an AMA or FAQ thread specifically for the HD8 DJ, HD7 DJ and HD6 MIX where you can put forward your questions. I'll then get the product manager to spend 1 or 2 days to answer them. 

If there's enough interest, I'll try to make this happen later this week or early next week. What say you, Head-Fiers? 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 6, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #548 of 1,133
Thank you guys for those graphs and textual inputs.

I never thought the treble would be that dull compared to the HD25. Sure, they might be less fatiguing, but that's not what I need. If my ears get too fatigued, I just turn the volume a little down. But I really need to hear those cymbals/hihats in a clear and detailed way. And this can't be done by simply turning the volume up, as the signature remains where to lows are pushing the highs totally into the background.

Sad story. I will try to send those cans back. Not usable or recommendable as a DJ headphone. At least not for those taking cymbals/hihats into consideration. And therefore most probably not for anyone actually using the HD25 :frowning2:

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #549 of 1,133
Hi guys,

I must say this has been an amazing thread for our new DJ products. I know there are some who may still have unanswered questions so I was wondering if there's any interest in asking the product manager directly. I'm thinking of starting an AMA or FAQ thread specifically for the HD8 DJ, HD7 DJ and HD6 MIX where you can put forward your questions. I'll then get the product manager to spend 1 or 2 days to answer them. 

If there's enough interest, I'll try to make this happen later this week or early next week. What say you, Head-Fiers? 

Yes please. I would very much enjoy that. Thank you.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #550 of 1,133
Sig DJ have much clearer sound than any headphone I have herd. However Isolation was still an issue for me as a DJ. HD 8 good sound and better isolation if you position them on your ear correctly.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #552 of 1,133
  Hi guys,

Sounds great.

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #553 of 1,133
someone mention atrios? how do these compare? is the bass as deep, are the mids similar? Is the mid bass overpowering?

very couriers and quite surprised i haven't heard of these since Linus reviewed them

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #555 of 1,133
HD8 Autopsy :wink: These have taken a while for me to get apart as they are a bit to expensive for me to destroy a pair in the process and they are built like a puzzle box. Having got them apart I can see sennheiser put a lot of love into them and there are some nice touches like a ruberised panel inside the earcup to absorb vibrations - they also have a rubber surround on the internal bass port

Users who are viewing this thread

Back