Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Mar 2, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #511 of 1,133
  The regular over ear Momentums (but also the on ears, since they are similar). I actually dont own or have heard the Senn's you listed, but I found the Momentums to be much more bass heavy than any of the Senns I own (HD429/HD449/PX360/Amperior/HD650/HD700), which is what I wanted from them. Although the HD650 and Amperiors have good bass, with the Amps having the harder hitting and the HD650 the smoother more controlled bass, I found the bass on Momentums more sloppy, sometimes affecting the lower mids. So I felt they were a bit different from the Sennheiser sound of the other cans I own.

As far as treble peaks go, both do have a bit of harshness right arround 6-7kHz, it just seemed a bit more pronounced on the HD700. I don't know if that's because the HD700 does a better job of giving more detail, and seperation, it just seems more noticeable on the HD700; its like I notice the treble peaks on both, but it just bugs me more on the HD700.

Other than that, I love the HD700s: if price was no object, they are easily my best headphone, while the Amperiors are third (second being HD650). Those positions switch if I factor in cost (especially cost of needed/recommended equipment): I paide $350 for the HD650, $220 for the Amperior and $650 for the HD700. The HD700 is a great headphone, but its not twice as good as the HD650, more like 25% better. 

Plus, to tame some of that treble peak,I feel like you need a good amp and dac (I got the Schiit Asgard2 and Bifrost, an additional $670). With a good amp/DAC, the HD700 starts to pull away from the HD650 (the HD650 just needs an amp with a lot of power, and E9 did me fine for over 2 years). The Amperiors are pretty much game out of the box, with no additional equipment needed, any DAP, Laptop, phone, headphone out would work just fine. They also sound damn good, and I think they sound miles ahead of the Momentums which cost me $300.

Thanks.
You think Amperior is "miles ahead"?  Hahaha, Now I'm not sure I want to bother trying the over-ear Momentum.

Actually, what I meant by the Momentum on-ear not sounding all that different is that the tonal color of the mids, treble, and bass as well as the very bass character are all terribly similar to the headphones that I listed.  Some of us suspect that PX360 = HD360 (although the HeadRoom graph makes me think twice), then HD380 is basically an HD360/PX360 with stronger, peakier treble, more transparency, a pinch tighter overall, and mildly stronger low bass boost.  All, even the Momentum I've got, boast bass that is rather "wooly" sounding to some degree or another.  HD280 has the best balance of all the closed Senns, but is otherwise a mild downgrade overall from HD360 and HD380.  The on-ear Momentum is an upgrade in sound over all of the closed Senns except HD380, although I am not fully certain on that because I no longer own an HD380 to compare with.  The on-ear even smokes HD25/Amperior, but it offers almost no isolation at all.

HD700 will be a piece of cake for my pimped out Dynalo.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #512 of 1,133
  So B&H is selling the HD7 for $190 (after rebate i believe) until April 30th.  Now Ive had the HD25 for about a month now and its great but i could use more bass and above all more comfort.  Unfortunatly, the HD8 is out of my price range. You think I would still like the HD7 over my 25's?  I cant justify spending almost $400 for the 8's when i could get the 7 for $200.  Id probalby have to sell my 25's too if i decided to snag the 7's.

Where are you seeing the HD7 for $190 on B&H?  I see a $30 mail in rebate which drops the price to $299.95. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #514 of 1,133
  Thats weird.  All day yesterday it said $190.  It even said it in an advertisement. I might have just missed out on taking advantage of an awesome mistake by B&H. 

Awwww mannn...... 
frown.gif
triportsad.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #515 of 1,133

Thanks.
You think Amperior is "miles ahead"?  Hahaha, Now I'm not sure I want to bother trying the over-ear Momentum.

Actually, what I meant by the Momentum on-ear not sounding all that different is that the tonal color of the mids, treble, and bass as well as the very bass character are all terribly similar to the headphones that I listed.  Some of us suspect that PX360 = HD360 (although the HeadRoom graph makes me think twice), then HD380 is basically an HD360/PX360 with stronger, peakier treble, more transparency, a pinch tighter overall, and mildly stronger low bass boost.  All, even the Momentum I've got, boast bass that is rather "wooly" sounding to some degree or another.  HD280 has the best balance of all the closed Senns, but is otherwise a mild downgrade overall from HD360 and HD380.  The on-ear Momentum is an upgrade in sound over all of the closed Senns except HD380, although I am not fully certain on that because I no longer own an HD380 to compare with.  The on-ear even smokes HD25/Amperior, but it offers almost no isolation at all.

HD700 will be a piece of cake for my pimped out Dynalo.

It could just be a matter of taste. I do think the Over-Ear Momentums and On-Ear Momentums have the same type of sound, except the Over-Ears Momentums do everything a lil better than the On-Ears: A bit more detail, a bit more refined sound, a bit more bass impact. So if you think the On-Ears smoke the Amperiors, then it would definitely be worth trying the Over-Ears. 

I don't 'not like' the Over-Ear Momentums, I actually like them alot. Before I got the Amperiors, I was in love with the Momentums. I just found the Amperiors to be much more my taste in terms of sound. TBH, I am a bit of a minority in that sense: the majority of posts I've come across are rather ambivalent about the HD700 and Amperior, while most like the Momentum, I kinda got the opposite opinion in that I truly do love the sound of the 700 and Amperior.

I also suspect that the HD360 = PX360: same number, looks like the exact same exterior design, but I never actually tried the HD360s. I really like the PX360, and I think it has a sound a bit closer to the Amperior, I compare the PX360's sound to the Amperior sound in the same way I would compare the On Ear Momentum to the Over-Ear Momentum: similar sound, just that Amperior does everything a bit better. 

In any case, I think it's definitely worth your time to try the Over-Ear Momentum if you like the On-Ear over the Amperior.

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #516 of 1,133
Got the HD8 today. Some impressions after 1h of listening:

Looks: very nice
- these look just great - not cheesy at all, just stylish in a modern way
- good finish/materials
- nice bag, but pitty, that you have to unplug the cable everytime you put the phones in the bag

Comfort: very good
- great isolation
- comfortable
- clamp force pretty hard, but I didn't feel any fatigue after 1h (will see tomorrow at work with a longer session)

Sound: so far pretty good
- great bass - good control, layered (not that boring one-noted DT770-like bass), powerful
- mids - clean, detailed, not that much overshadowed by the bass as I feared - yes, I boost them a bit, but that's just a preference
- highs - non-fatiguing at all and nicely detailed - for my taste they need a little boost (but I liked the DT770 highs, which I didn't boost at all)

Perfect HP for electronic music (this bass really puts a big smile on my face, which only the Atrios did) and so far pretty good for metal (need more listening sessions).

Did anybody try the other pads? How's the sound and comfort?

On Friday I'll probably check the HD7 in a local store. Still deciding if I should try the Shure's 1540.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #518 of 1,133
sounds like it's not very ideal for metal. Too bassy and dark. I went with Sony MDR 7520.
smily_headphones1.gif

7520 is great the treble is just a hair shy of neutral though. 
the yamaha hph has treble if you need it and more bass than the 7520. but the sony is a great headphone!!! just not a treblehead headphone

Just pulled the trigger on these thangz ... hd 8 dj

they will go up against the q40, pandora hope VI, Yamaha hph mt220, MAD dogs and ZMF's to help me figure em out. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #519 of 1,133
The fit on the HD8 is a bit tricky.
The cups move a lot so it takes some time to find the perfect fit (it's not like putting on DT770, done). But when you finally got it, it's great - best isolation on a HP so far.
Funny thing, the clamp force is pretty strong, but the cups are quite comfortable, so after 3h non stop I feel very little fatigue (but coming from the gorgeous DT770 probably everything will fatigue you :wink:

Mar 4, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #520 of 1,133
I don't find any issues finding a fit, just put them on. I guess my ears are quite average ~6cm, they just fit, any smaller pads and there would be problems (that's why I canceled the Focal Pros..).

(Or maybe you meant finding the initial fit / correct headband settings.. well anyway, what doesn't need that except self adjusting headbands..)

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #521 of 1,133
  I don't find any issues finding a fit, just put them on. I guess my ears are quite average ~6cm, they just fit, any smaller pads and there would be problems (that's why I canceled the Focal Pros..).

(Or maybe you meant finding the initial fit / correct headband settings.. well anyway, what doesn't need that except self adjusting headbands..)

if you did a detailed comparison from personal use and experience of the three that would be very helpful here. Some may be turned off from the whole line because of one or boast in the whole line because of the hd 8. 

I am excited for the hd 8 to come but I still am very curious how it compares to the 7 and which has the better midrange etc.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #523 of 1,133
  I guess no one's answering my question...

your question was not off topic at all. I am sorry noone answered you. I havent had many portable equipment but personally I would stay away from fiios like the x3 and e11 and ones that have a similar sound because they are dark and bassy and would make the dark sounding sennheiser already dark. I would look into the c5d from jds labs. If I had money for it right now that would be my purchase. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #524 of 1,133
  your question was not off topic at all. I am sorry noone answered you. I havent had many portable equipment but personally I would stay away from fiios like the x3 and e11 and ones that have a similar sound because they are dark and bassy and would make the dark sounding sennheiser already dark. I would look into the c5d from jds labs. If I had money for it right now that would be my purchase. 

What about the alpen e17? The C5D is awesome but too expensive especially if I'm going to get the HD8.

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #525 of 1,133
C&C BH2 IMO, it's slightly bright sounding and is around $100, has tons of features and unbeatable batterylife. Among the very best "starter" amps you can go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back