Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Feb 10, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #241 of 1,133

I also would have thought it had made sense with a shorter straight cable. I think for DJ's they will use the coiled when out n about doing gigs but the straight would be used portably. I think it would have been smarter to pick a shorter straight cable, IMO 1.5 m. Two different length cables had complemented each other better, not that many DJ's use straight cable @ while DJing I'd imagine so the length for that purpose isn't really needed IMO. Since these headphones doesn't look like something only DJ's will use I also favor the idea of a shorter (~1.5m) straight cable.

(+1.5m is perfect for me at home ^^)

+1...I agree on the shorter straight cable. Would have been nice to get the best of both worlds. I've been using the coiled cable since I put these on. When I put on the straight cable, I realized how long, and also useless it is. No DJ will ever need to use a cable that long. That is why coil was invented!

Feb 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #242 of 1,133

Interesting... So... Frank, did you ever reply with your views?
(Maybe I glossed it over and don't remember.)

Also, I think Arly was going to send the Dido D901s to you this week so I would love to hear/read a comparison as well :wink:

Finally, are these already selling somewhere? I can't seem to find them, maybe I'm failing at "google-ing".... will probably wait and see if Razordog Audio starts to carry them... :p

Hey pal - got them direct from Sennheiser.   Liked a lot about them - great low profile headphone, perfect for portable, great clamp, pads (both sets) are awesome and how they interchange is sheer brilliance, but bass is too much (yeah, even I can't believe I wrote that) - it's clean but not balanced at all.  Cable being way too long and being proprietary makes it a problem.  Wish it was a typical 3.5 so I could use a V-moda or the 20" custom I had built for my armband rig but not to be. 

Sending them back for full refund with Senn.  Glad I tried them.

Arly sent the Dido's today!  Looking forward to them, and will post up on that thread. 

Feb 10, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #245 of 1,133
+1000....

For the love of all that is head-fi....bring us some comments on the HD 6 Mix!  Does it have some real resolving power?  Is it going to be kind of like a closed HD-600, or more like a flatter Momentum?  Or more like a flatter HD 7 or HD 8, as though we are even confident at this point what distinguishes those two headphones!  Doh!

Of course, comparison between HD 6 Mix and an MDR-7520 is an absolute must.  

This whole thread is still a bit painful, why must I be so impatient?  If only I could afford to just order all three of these and the HD 26 Pro all at once and just send back what I don't like, or decide to keep all 4 of them!!!

Feb 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #248 of 1,133

That's a real shame, I just found some pictures of the plug for the HD8, I don't think there are any 2.5mm iOS cables that will be able to work with that recessed jack.

Can someone from Sennheiser PLEASE consider creating a 1.2m cable accessory for the HD8/7/6 series with the Momentum's awesome metal remote?

I just stumbled upon this thread, and unfortunately don't have the time to read through the 17 pages of it to to see if this had already been answered, but does anyone know if the B&W P5's iOS remote/mic cable's 2.5mm jack is slim enough to fit into the HD6/7/8's slot? I ordered the cable and found that the 2.5mm jack's housing is slim enough to fit in the slots of my HD 439 and my Bose OE2. Perhaps it can fit in these, too?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:14 AM Post #249 of 1,133
Hmph since Amazon crapped my Focal order, I decided to order all HD6/7/8 from Thomann & Musicstore (latter should have HD8 next week unlike most places doing April). I think these could companion my HD800 even better than the Focals (looking for a nice comfortable closed semi-bassy fun can). I will also measure them all with my Realiser-rig..

Feb 11, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #250 of 1,133
That sounds AWESOME!

That is essentially what I am doing as well (except it will take a few more months before I can buy one headphone without getting killed by my wife).... I have HD-700 and was looking at other brands for some variety, especially regarding some closed options, and then I came across this thread back when it started.  Since I am a big fan of how Sennheiser fits and feels (and how they sound) with the exception of the Momentum, I thought I may as well see how these are received before I go buying something else from Shure or Sony or Focal, etc...

I was looking for another option to throw in my backpack when I go to work (HD 7 or HD 8) that could also serve for general listening at home when I don't want to bother the rest of the family, something I could take on a bus or plane or just use as yet another backup for whatever occasion (HD 26 Pro), something for my small home recording studio in my basement (HD 6 Mix) and then focus on DAC and amp upgrades for a while (currently have Dragonfly, Peachtree Nova 125, Focusrite Scarlett 18i20).

Yes, I am still tempted to grab the BeoPlay H6, and I will never sell my ATH-ESW9, but other than that I am seriously thinking about going "all in" with Sennheiser.  Well, OK, to be honest I am keeping an eye on the Oppo PM-1 and HA-1 as well, but that is the "sick head-fi mental disease" part of me talking, not the practical part that first started typing this reply
beyersmile.png

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #251 of 1,133
Someone give me a good reason not to buy the HD8. I will be listening to electronic/dub/trance music.

I have the option to add to cart from B&H, no tax and free shipping.

About to pull the trigger but....

Feb 11, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #252 of 1,133
Hold on, let me ask a question. Stupid question.

On ear vs Over ear

I always thought that on ear was literally on the ear and over the ear covered the ears.

Why are they advertised as on ear headphones?

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #253 of 1,133
Hold on, let me ask a question. Stupid question.

On ear vs Over ear

I always thought that on ear was literally on the ear and over the ear covered the ears.

Why are they advertised as on ear headphones?

I noticed this too.

I think sennheiser made a mistake, because the HD6/7/8 are listed as circumaural in the specs, aka over ear.

The supraaural (on ear) version would be the HD25.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #254 of 1,133
I noticed this too.

I think sennheiser made a mistake, because the HD6/7/8 are listed as circumaural in the specs, aka over ear.

The supraaural (on ear) version would be the HD25.

Ok cool, I thought my depth perception went to crap for a moment there.

I kept thinking "it looks like your ears go into the cups"

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #255 of 1,133
yep, on the videos I have watched they are clearly "over ear"... and they look to be a bit more roomier than a v-moda m-100, which for me is the absolute minimum size to claim as "over ear", but I can't tell for sure.  I think Sennheiser has always been good about this, with the exception of the Momentum.  That is why I am so interested in this thread, I really value Sennheiser's design and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back