Sennheiser HD 6,7 & 8 DJ thread. Opinions, reviews, feedback, pics, discussions, etc.
Feb 4, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #166 of 1,133
First impressions of the 7..................damn do these things have bass.  I had to turn off the loudness switch on my Kenwood vintage amp.

For what I wanted - a low profile portable solution for outdoor activities that isolate really well with great bass - they NAILED it.  I could see running in these easily as the clamp is nice and strong and they do NOT move a bit on my head. 

I'm burning them in at the moment overnight for the next few days just to see if the very deep bass will mellow out some.  These fit like a glove, ear pads are great and are great looking.  They replace the M-100 and for that they are already quite an improvement.

More to come gents.

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #167 of 1,133
Sounds promissing! :) Hopefully Tyll also reviews this series ASAP, very curious to see his measurements + subjective analysis on this line. Does the HD7 have even stronger bass than Q40? I hope not as that would be getting too extreme amounts lol. 

I feel Q40 have about equal amount of midbass & subbass (a great deal of both), how would you say the HD7's bass sounds like in comparision? 

Feb 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #169 of 1,133
  Sounds promissing! :) Hopefully Tyll also reviews this series ASAP, very curious to see his measurements + subjective analysis on this line. Does the HD7 have even stronger bass than Q40? I hope not as that would be getting too extreme amounts lol. 

I feel Q40 have about equal amount of midbass & subbass (a great deal of both), how would you say the HD7's bass sounds like in comparision? 

At first listen (keep in perspective it was about 30 minutes) definitely more subbass than Q40 and not sure about the midbass.  Seems it was less but compared to very heavy subbass it's hard to say. 

And to the next gent asking if the bass is more than the V-Moda M100, absolutely.  Way more and way more comfy.  These are what portable phones should feel like on your head. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #170 of 1,133
Anyway, I have been looking at sites to see how the hd 8 dj's compare to other headphones, saying that they were not stereo; however, I find this extremely hard to believe. I was just wondering if this were true or not. Here's the website where I got this info: http://versus.com/en/sennheiser-hd8-dj-vs-sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii . FYI, some of the facts they use for versus are dumb, seeing that one aspect of a headphone is beneficial relative to the situation. If someone could answer this, that would be great. Also, if you could find out/know how much isolation these headphones get, that would be cool (or at least compare them to the hd 25ii's)

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM Post #172 of 1,133
  I have just got my hands on a pair of the HD7 and they look like they could be a great DJ headphone. They come with a nice case to protect them, they have a straight and curly cable reinforced with Kevlar and they have a swivel hinge on both sides. I used to use the HD280 for many years then moved on to the HD25. The new HD7 certainly don't squeeze your head as much as the HD280, they are heavier than the HD25 but still quite light. As for the sound - they are definitely a lot more bass heavy than the HD25 and HD280 so if you mix on the bassline they would be good. I suspect that these are aimed as a bit of a blow to the beats range especially with the cheeky slogan " drop the beat " and they have some similarities with the beats pro like the dual swivel hinges, rugged case and the option to have the cable on either side. They also cater to the bass head like the beats but I think they sound better for less money. The mids and highs sound crisp - there is probably a bit too much bass for my likings but that is just a personal thing - the bass does not seem to muddy the mids and is not too boomy. I think the sound stage is a bit bigger than the HD25 but not quite as good as the Custom One Pro. Over all a well though out DJ headphone with looks that will make it popular on the streets. I look forward to getting the HD8 later this month so I can compare the two.
Now I just need to figure out how to pull them apart so I can work some magic on them :)

Thanks for your impression, jfunk!  
Just saw your video as well. I hope you don't mind me sharing it here. 

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #173 of 1,133
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 4, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #175 of 1,133
Just got my HD8 tonight. I need to really spin with these on for at least 2 hours to get a 100% feel, however, I did spin a quick 10-minute set. My initial impressions are that these are very easy to beatmatch with. It is confirmed as others have mentioned…as a basslover, they do bring the bass! It is more on the quality side as well. The bass isn’t sloppy, but has volume with definition. These sound like the HD25’s on steroids. I will have to give another review in 100 hours or so. I can tell the bass will settle down with time. They sound a bit raw. They are very lively and pack a punch, similar to the HD25’s. Very, very clean sounding. I can really see “DJs” accepting this right away. I have used and tested an amazing amount of DJ headphones. These take the crown hands down. The SPL is spot on. The build and isolation are the best I have ever experienced in a headphone, nevertheless a dj headphone. I thought these would be a lot bigger from the pictures and talk. These are very compact, but do not fold inwards like the m100’s or typical dj headphones. These don’t clamp hard either. They really do remind me of the HD25’s in many ways. I am going to be using them with the velour pads, even though the leathers are truly quality as well. The fit sits absolutely perfect on my ears. This is what I thought the vmoda m100 would be. I have to say I am not a big fan of the 280 degree pivot system...yet at least. You have to be careful that you don’t try to fold the headphones inward, but use the pivot system.

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #176 of 1,133
Agree with you on them getting better and better. 12 hours on a CD player cranking Pink Floyd Animals and they sound much better.

And the pad swap! Oh my god, could every other headphone manufacturer learn from Sennheiser. Literally took less than a minute to swap pads and so easy. I too love both pads, especially the velours.

I think I'm going to love these things..........

Feb 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #177 of 1,133
These impressions sound fantastic. Sadly it will take until early April for these to be available in Europe (at least widespread distribution), some lucky sods have already got these in UK though.

Feb 5, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #178 of 1,133
Yeah... a little nervous about the HD7 having way more bass than the M-100 ... I am hoping Oregonian is thinking in terms of absolute depth and/or general detail and not volume balance of everything under 120 Hz versus the rest of the spectrum, so I am looking forward to more descriptions/comparisons about the overall balance on these things, both HD7 and HD8.

When I first got the M-100 I was nervous about just how much bass would be present and if it would dominate the overall sound signature on them.  It turns out that for me, it was just fine until I switched to XL pads, at which point it was just a bit too much of a V-shape balance for me.  But the lesson learned for me is that just because everyone likes to talk about bass, sometimes there are other great qualities you will appreciate for yourself, like in my case I thought the M-100 was surprisingly good across the board and I only sold them in anticipation of moving up to these or the SRH1540.

It seems that even in just this thread there is some differing opinions on the sound signature between HD7 and HD8, so I am looking forward to more opinions on this because either one looks good to me and I will go with whichever one is closest to neutral balance... or maybe even switch my focus to the HD6?  Or maybe get the HD6 and then add either the HD7 or HD8.  I am really interested in the latter two because I want something I can use with my phone on the bus ride to work and off my laptop at home or office, and I am assuming that the lower impedance on the HD7/8 would be better in those scenarios.

Feb 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #180 of 1,133
If the HD 6 Mix can play in the same ballpark as the SRH1540, MDR-7520, or Focal Spirit Pro, then yes, they will be a no-brainer for me as I am a bit of a Senn fan. I have only read about the 7520 and Spirit Pro, but I have heard the 1540 and it is excellent.  I wouldn't call the 1540 bass heavy, but I would call it warm and emphasized bass.  I need something for home studio work, like an HD 6 Mix, but I still want something with extra kick in the bass, just not too much, when I need a closed headphone that is just for fun around the house (I have HD-700, which I would also describe as a fun rather than neutral signature, but in a different way..and I am tired of my family telling me to turn it down when I want to really cut loose, so hence my interest in this thread).  I like most of the Denon models I have heard, and I really liked the M-100.. so again, if either the HD 7 or HD 8 are along those lines without getting super bass heavy then they will fill a currently empty role in my headphone stable.  I like the metal components and style of the HD 8 slightly better than HD 7, but if the HD 7 was even slightly less bass heavy than the HD 8 I would go for the 7.  Looking forward to more comments, reviews, etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back