Sennheiser HD 598
Feb 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

katsup5128

New Head-Fier
Just bought a new pair of Sennheiser 598 at crutchfield. They had a sweet deal going on that gives a $100 gift certificate along with the purchase.  I'm fairly new to the whole audio world and bought these headphones because they look cool. I'm wondering if I made a good purchase and would like to know some of the pros and cons of it. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #2 of 14
If you need to be reassured by some raving regarding your headphone, just read the appreciation thread :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541039/sennheiser-hd-598-appreciation-thread

Known weak point: bass.
Some would say they require an amp to perform best, but you can also read few shy review of people not liking them.

Hear them a week, and if you still don't like them, resell them if you can.

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
bought these headphones because they look cool

I would say that this is a huge mistake.

I would also say that I hope you enjoy the sound, because if you do not, prepared to be either underwhelmed, meh, happy, or ecstatic based on your tastes. The HD598 is not a universally perfect headphone. It's highly regarded, but it has just as many people who don't like it too.

It's a bright headphone with a focus on treble & mids, a little more shy on bass, with a nice wide sound stage, and it's comfortable. If you're someone looking for big bass, this headphone will leave you underwhelmed. If you're looking for a warm neutral headphone that is a little dark, it will leave you underwhelmed. If you're looking for a bright headphone where the focus is on melody and instruments, and slightly brighter treble for the excitement/sparkle, then you will be happy perhaps.

Personally I don't care for it. I like headphones that can produce sub-bass with as much authority as they do their mids.

I recommend you do some extensive reading/searching about the HD598. There's no lack of information around here on it. And before it gets asked, no, you do not need an amplifier and it will not make it sound bassier.

If you do not like the HD598, I suggest you return it and use the credit towards something you will like that you have pre-researched to ensure it's closer to what your actual preferences and expectations are.

</validation>

Very best,

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 14
I thought I liked them until I listened to Panasonic HTF600 with Senn HD485 pads. I am in love with a sub $30 headphone now. I think I just tried too hard to like the HD598. Headphones like preferences are fickle.

Feb 15, 2013 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 14
hope you listen to a lot of vocal tracks, that's where they really shine
cause they would probably be unimpressive at super bassheavy gabber/harstyle/anything else

Feb 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
hope you listen to a lot of vocal tracks, that's where they really shine

I would say that and the huge soundstage are the strongest points of those cans!

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
I would say that and the huge soundstage are the strongest points of those cans!

yeah that too
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

I would say that this is a huge mistake.

Quote:
 they were delivered to me yesterday and i'm loving it already. i feel like i'm hearing every single instrument individually.

Yah, just shows how much you know, MalVeauX!  Take that in your face!

Nah, just kidding.
tongue.gif
  Actually I wanted to say that I find you one of the most useful, sensible and lucid posters in this forum. For all the nonsense that gets posted, fortunately there are knowledgeable posters like you here to redress the balance and keep the ship upright. Keep up the good work!

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #14 of 14
And with anyone of us we have preferences, i know that he likes beyers and hifimans a lot more over any senns :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back